The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2022, 09:11 AM   #1
bcoke

Gauge Cluster Issue / Replacement

My 72 K5 has had a ton of electrical gremlins ever since I got it 6 years ago. The previous owner did a lot of custom wiring (speakers in the door, remote locking, not to mention the engine swap) so it’s a rats nest of wires under the dash.

Yesterday I started the process of what I’m guessing will end up being rewiring the whole truck, and I took off the gauge cluster to get better access. The gauges haven’t been super accurate - mileage is maxed out, speedo is all over the place, I don’t trust the fuel gauge. Plus when I took it off there was some rattling inside the housing.

I thought this would be a good time to replace it with modern gauges that look classic, but as I looked around it seemed like the going rate for anything decent (Dakota digital / classic instruments) was $1000. Cheapest I could find was $400, but that had a lot of bad reviews saying it stopped working.

1. Am I missing anything? Any ideas on where to get solid restomod gauge cluster replacements besides those two places I listed and googling around?

2. Anyone know how I could repair my current cluster or who I could send it to for repair? (I’m in TX)

3. Not having accurate gauges isn’t the end of the world - I definitely need to prioritize having the engine turn over reliably haha so is there any downside to leaving it as is while I get the wiring sorted out? I figure I can always replace it down the road without too wiring hassle again…
bcoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 09:33 AM   #2
hemi43

Re: Gauge Cluster Issue / Replacement

You get what you pay for, and purchasing my Dakota Digital gauge cluster was one of the best things I did.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 09:35 AM   #3
jaros44sr

I would start with a new harness from M&H, great customer service, and answered all my dumb questions

Plug and play,some of you gauge problems may clear up, and you won't have to worry about an electrical fire

Nothing wrong with the stock gauges and there are forums members to service them.T bone comes to mind, but there are others

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 05:51 PM   #4
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Keep it simple. I’d put some elbow grease into cleaning the OEM cluster. It’s possible that the issues w cluster are upstream from the gauges. For example maybe the speedo cable needs a clean and lube, needs replacing, is loose at one end, or not seated well at the t-case. If the fuel gauge is off it might be the sending unit.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote