The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2022, 07:04 AM   #2976
bowt1ed

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Looks great sitting there Dan!
bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:58 AM   #2977
youngrodder

The best part is driving them. Don't stress yourself out. Enjoy it (as much as possible). I love running errands in the Ol' bomb.

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:16 PM   #2978
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks guys.

When I mentioned I hardly ever drive her because I’m worried it’ll get scratched, door dinged or just stolen a lady on another forum I frequent replies, “What are you saving it for? To put in a museum?!”

She got me thinking and I’ve been trying to drive it more, enjoy it more and worry less. Still a hard sell vs. my nature but I’m trying.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:30 PM   #2979
Denee007

I say get a cold root beer, sit in the truck under a shade tree, turn the music up to the oldies and enjoy
dne'
67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:07 PM   #2980
youngrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Thanks guys.

When I mentioned I hardly ever drive her because I’m worried it’ll get scratched, door dinged or just stolen a lady on another forum I frequent replies, “What are you saving it for? To put in a museum?!”

She got me thinking and I’ve been trying to drive it more, enjoy it more and worry less. Still a hard sell vs. my nature but I’m trying.
Posted via Mobile Device
When I had my shinny (Green and Black 48) truck I drove it everywhere. People would often ask aren't you scared to scratch it. My response NOPE. I built it so I know what it would take to fix it and most importantly I would rather have my truck out and about with scratches and road rash than one that sits in a garage that you just admire. Driving and showing off your hard work is the best part.

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:15 PM   #2981
dsraven

You just need to get the first door ding over with and realize that it's not the end of the world. You spent a lot of time building it so you should get initial and enjoy driving it, the looks you get doing that and the comments you get from people who can appreciate the work it takes to get a project to a finish like yours. Show it off and enjoy. It's why they make base clear, so you can fix and blend every once in a while as needed. Not saying park anywhere, we dont with our daily drivers, just saying stuff happens but it shouldn't make you scared to go out and enjoy.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:57 PM   #2982
Dan in Pasadena

Of course you guys are ALL correct. But of course I’m NOT going to intentionally take it anywhere it’ll get damaged. It’s already got one little spot where the clear coat has been damaged which needs repair.

I just need to rely on it more day to day as transportation and not solely use my Jeep.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2022, 07:55 PM   #2983
bosco

Quote:
Thanks guys.

Posted via Mobile Device
It's hard to take that first step (first ding/rock chip). Mine was a rock chip. Now I drive it when ever possible and will repair the paint down the road. Then start all over.

Next time I will look into a clear bra for the hood (that seems to take the most abuse from the road). A buddy of mine has a '71 VW bus all restored and did the clear bra and drives to shows every where (even drove to Lake Havasu) and not a mark on the front. It takes a pretty good beating. Anyone have any experience with these clear bras?

Enjoy your truck as much as you can. They are fun to drive.
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:38 PM   #2984
Dan in Pasadena

I suppose you’re right. I still have no chips on the front of it so I could put the 3M clear stuff on now - though I don’t know who does it or if I’d trust just anyone to do it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-02-2022, 09:46 AM   #2985
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
Anyone have any experience with these clear bras?
Yes, but not on this truck. I had it on my Dodge R/T and my old Tacoma. In both cases, it was great and well worth the money.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:52 AM   #2986
dsraven

I have had it on several newer vehicles. It is a computer cut product so the computer would need to have your vehicle in its data base. That said, there is likely some shop out there who can scan your truck into their system and cut/install what you need. I recommend using the 3m material as some off brands will yellow over time in the sun.
You gotta drive it man, that's what it's all about.just be carefull like you already are.
Old 07-17-2022, 03:05 PM   #2987
Dan in Pasadena

I took her out for a ride yesterday afternoon to my 8 year old grand daughter's birthday party at a pool place called Waterworks in Pasadena.

Hot as hell in SoCal yesterday. I have Vintage Air but the outlets in the cab have never been installed so it blows out under the dash. Not very effective at all.

I REALLY need to fabricate the under dash valence I've been talking about with Ogre and others on a different thread to get the AC working as it should.

I also need to adjust the front coilers to gain maybe 1/2" to 1" - I get rubbing at full lock, then install the air shocks in the rear to give a slight rake.
Attached Images

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 07-17-2022 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2022, 05:57 PM   #2988
Denee007

How sweet it is to make memories Even at 8 y/o, it will remain in her memories for a life time~ such a beautiful truck
dne'

Quote:
I took her out for a ride yesterday afternoon to my 8 year old grand daughter's birthday party at a pool place called Waterworks in Pasadena.

Hot as hell in SoCal yesterday. I have Vintage Air but the outlets in the cab have never been installed so it blows out under the dash. Not very effective at all.

I REALLY need to fabricate the under dash valence I've been talking about with Ogre and others on a different thread to get the AC working as it should.

I also need to adjust the front coilers to gain maybe 1/2" to 1" - I get rubbing at full lock, then install the air shocks in the rear to give a slight rake.
67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 03:43 AM   #2989
dsraven

Nice that you are able to take your 8 y.o. grand daughter out for a run. She will remember that I'm sure.
Dude, take a few minutes and get the ac working proper. The build deserves it as do you.
Old 07-18-2022, 02:27 PM   #2990
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
Nice that you are able to take your 8 y.o. grand daughter out for a run. She will remember that I'm sure.
Dude, take a few minutes and get the ac working proper. The build deserves it as do you.
Actually, I just drove to the swim party yesterday. I’ve only taken her on one ride in it so far because until now she hasn’t been big enough to ride in it without a car booster seat. Now she’s graduated out of that and her little sister (4) has graduated INTO big sister’s no-longer-needed booster seat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-18-2022, 02:29 PM   #2991
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
You’re absolutely right that I NEED to not only get the AC vents in but to finish an assortment of little things in it so it can truly be daily-driveable; even if I don’t quite do that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2022, 11:45 PM   #2992
dsraven

post 297......is that dust on the roof?
it needs to move more, haha.
looks awesome.
Old 10-03-2022, 05:08 PM   #2993
Dan in Pasadena

Wiped her down, checked tire air and took her out to lunch & for a few errands. Love it but also I worry like an old hen. People always walk up to look and I’m afraid they’ll scratch her. But as someone told me, “What are you saving it for, a museum?!” Of course they’re right but still fret about it.

Maybe I should have left it in its old rattle can shop truck look and just done the mechanicals only!
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2022, 07:23 PM   #2994
bowt1ed

Dan, gotta say - still one of the best looking trucks I've seen on this forum. Please remind me what your wheels are, including sizes and tires too. Sure I could look back through, but this is easier. ��
Thanks, Jim
Old 10-03-2022, 09:01 PM   #2995
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowt1ed View Post
Dan, gotta say - still one of the best looking trucks I've seen on this forum. Please remind me what your wheels are, including sizes and tires too. Sure I could look back through, but this is easier. ��
Thanks, Jim
Ha, sure. They're Boyd's Smoothies; sometimes called Smoothie I's since there are now II's.

Nephew found them for what I THOUGHT was cheap - $375 for all four so I told him get them. But it turned out 3 needed straightening and 1 had lost a small piece of the back "lip". I had them fixed and professionally polished and they ended up nearly costing the same as if I'd bought new, But they looked fantastic! Oh well.

They're 17x8's and the tires are 235/55x17's. Pics are from the For Sale ad and then after I had them redone.

Bottom-line is they're too flashy for my taste. I wish I'd bought something else and may still. People seem to like them but they're kinda ghetto-fabulous for me. I'd prefer (and I already bought used) 17x8 "steelies". If I use them they'll be with 17" ribbed beauty rings and 51 Chevy dog dish caps. Haven't trial fitted them yet so I don't know if the offset will work. I have 1/4" spacers behind the rear smoothies now so they don't rub the bed sides. Thanks for the kind words.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 10-03-2022 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:03 AM   #2996
bowt1ed

Thanks Dan. Turned out looking great.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:22 AM   #2997
Rickysnickers

"...but they're kinda ghetto-fabulous for me..."

NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!! They look great!!!
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:19 AM   #2998
slammed57

nice lookin wheels, the great thing about polished aluminum is you can alwalys make them look new again
Old 10-04-2022, 12:33 PM   #2999
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
"...but they're kinda ghetto-fabulous for me..."

NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!! They look great!!!
Thanks for the kind words. I REALLY wish I'd put old fashioned American Torq Thrusts on her, the kind with gray spokes and machine finished lips.

I also really like Coys with the smooth, bowed gray spoke. Polished Salt Flat wheels are also a possibility but the problem is I ALREADY spent on these.

Old 12-14-2022, 08:59 PM   #3000
G&R's57GMC

Gee Dan your truck look fabulous as a garage queen , But looks even better out driving around !
Ya I get what you’re talking about the finish , my Dart got new clothes (paint)in 2018 that were more Armani then the Sears I would have be fine with . So far it hasn’t been out on the road yet . It’s waiting on me to put all the trim on and finish the interior .

Ya I agree if you left it in rattle can green you probably would have 20,000 miles on it by now .
Ok now go drive the wheels off that paint job and enjoy every mile.
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote