The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2011, 11:06 PM   #101
bajabob

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Dan
what did you use to patch up the steering wheel ?? My wheel is in similar condition, and yours looks nice.... I like the way your doing your project... I kinda did my backwards by taking it all apart. You get to drive yours around and enjoy it.
bajabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #102
Dan in Pasadena

Yeah, I did the "blow it apart" thing before and after agile I just felt a little overwhelmed and defeated.

On the steering wheel i used a Dremel tool to widen the cracks a bit - NOT any more than you need to get the goop deep into the cracks. I used JB Quik Weld but only because I had it. I'd recommend using regular JB Weld if you're gonna go buy it. Form with rat tail file then sand, sand, sand, did I mention sand?! I put about 5 coats cause of the trouble with the Rusto Pro bit you can get away with maybe 2-3
Posted via Mobile Device
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #103
bajabob

That is sweet, thanks.. I have some of that stuff around... I will check it out.
bajabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #104
samdjr74

I went with the finned look, here's a pic of mine to give you an idea of what it might look like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Hi Sam,
I bought some "Motor Coater" from KBS coatings in Chevy orange (I'm now kinda wondering if I shoulda gone with black?). I also bought some new, but old school looking finned aluminum valve covers but haven't made up my mind on what air cleaner I want? I'll likely end up with the matching finned-down-the-middle air cleaner. Installtion is all to come as I want to thoroughly clean and paint it belfore adding the bling. Looks like azz right now! lol.
samdjr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:32 AM   #105
bruceman1968

Dan, I just found and read this whole thread. Very enjoyable!! That's a Great truck you got goin there. I will enjoy watching your progress. Also I was relieved that your broken bolt turned out to be a pin, and the steering wheel looks great to. SUBSCRIBED!!!!
Old 07-05-2011, 11:00 PM   #106
Dan in Pasadena

Ooh, sorry for the length but I'm excited. I've been meaning to take my truck to a little shop in a poor part of town a buddy swears by run by 2 old farts (older than me). He said, "You'll know it's our kinda place as soon as you get there AND...they're cheap too."

There was a PERFECTLY restored '63 split window Vette, a '69 Camaro - same quality, a very nice '67 Chevy 3/4 ton, & an over-the-top Jeep CJ in shop/yard. Shop was closed for lunch, we went to eat & came back to find my truck in the shop w/hood up.

Guy immediately says, "Youre having heat saturation problems with starting, huh?".
Yes, how'd you know?
"Your starter is right above your collectors, did you know that?"
Told him I'd recently bought it and brought it for that very reason, and other stuff.

Long(er) story short, having dizzy upgraded w/Pertronix, carb work (It WAS rebuilt before I
bought it but something is wrong, giysays it doesn't respond to tuning at all(!) Timing is very retarded. New plugs & plug wires. Shop guy noticed the camel hump heads and rumpety-rump cam and said it's going to come alive when he's done with it. I'm stoked. Just had to reltate it all
go so excited I headed over to The Truck Shop and bought a rear bumper lit, fan shroud, and bits & pieces.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 07-05-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #107
Dan in Pasadena

Stopped by the shop where my truck is to drop off the fan shroud & a new gas cap to find my carbuerator is MAJOR varnished up. Mechanic had pulled it and was working on it. Turns out the Holley intake manifold was unbelieveably gunked up and it's a single plane-bad for my purposes. I went and bougt a new Edelbrock dual plane, new volts & the adapter plate for the Holley carb. That added $189 to the already high estimate

on the way home the shop calls to tell me they drained the radiator and it's about 90% blocked. Needs t be boiled out and rodded, IF it's worth repairing. Gotta wait til radiator shop sees it. Another $125+/- Its getting expensive but ought to run GREAT when done. I can't wait! Pix as soon as I get it back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2011, 12:31 PM   #108
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Thanks for the update Dan. Sounds like the shop is doing a nice job for you. Hope you can it back soon and put some miles on it!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #109
Dan in Pasadena

Hi Chuck/JJ,

Just got a call from the shop that my radiator isn't worth fixing; it's Swiss cheese. Their radiator guy is quoting $400 for a brass/copper replacement with the auto trans cooler built in. Currently, I have an auxiliary cooler mounted in front of the stock radiator.

I'd like to put one like yours on it, one that doesn't stick up above the core support. But I'm getting concerned about cost of installation as the shop will have to do it. Can you tell me (show me?) EXACTLY what's involved? NOt the fan mounts, I can do those later.

I'm also looking at stock replacement radiators in aluminum. I know they're "not as efficient" but I asked the mechanic and he said he's always had good luck/good cooling with them. I may post a "Show me your Radiators" thread to get opinions.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #110
57 3100

dan, i will soon be getting me one of these aluminum radiators for my 57. its a direct bolt in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RADIA...Q5fAccessories

leonard
57 3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #111
STEVE60

Dan, sounds like the shop is checking it out good. You should be running good enough to make a test drive out to the east coast when you get it back. Stop by and show it off.
Steve
STEVE60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #112
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 3100 View Post
dan, i will soon be getting me one of these aluminum radiators for my 57. its a direct bolt in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RADIA...Q5fAccessories

leonard
Hi Leonard,
I saw and liked that one but I'm kinda leaning toward THIS one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy...item5ae159c01e

...IF I don't find a deal on a cross flow, below-the-core-support radiator because of the stamped original-appearing tank AND if you read the description the seller makes a good case for two rows in aluminum vs. 3 rows based on tube size. I'm no engineer but square inches of contact area is hard to argue with...to me. Please feel free to offer your opinion.

Anyone else also.

P.S. to Steve, Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I'm real pleased with this shop so far. It's not their fault the truck was allowed to sit from '91 to '10...just too damn long. That's why the heavy, heavy varnish in the carb/intake, the radiator rusting away and assorted other stuff.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:19 AM   #113
57 3100

wow dan, that is a great looking radiator. i like how the top tank looks factory.... i may get this one instead of the other.
thanks.

leonard
Old 07-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #114
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Dan,

I had my radiator custom made by Griffin here in SC. It's mounted by sitting on a lower plate that mounts with the Rad support mounting bolts and a top plate that I drilled and bolted the the top bar of the Rad support.

I did mine a few years before this company started selling a kit that looks AMAZINGLY similiar to mine!

http://www.usradiator.com/index.php/...-radiator.html
Old 07-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #115
Dan in Pasadena

JJ,
First, thanks so much for the link. I simply love how the radiator looks on your truck. So clean and just "right".

I did a search and found a reference to a board memeber who retails for U.S. Radiator who said the radiator cost $369. I called U.S. Radiator yesterday and was told $499 and I wondered why the steep price jump? Now I see why: It's a complete kit. The guy on the phone didn't explain that at all. But he DID say that it would take them 3 weeks to build/deliver.

Much as I'd LOVE to have this I simply can't afford the time. And honestly, I need $500 added to my current bill at the shop like I need a hole in the head.

So I think I'm going with a fabricted 3 row aluminum radiator I found at a local place. Frankly, what this radiator has going for it is that it IS local and I can go pick it up today.

I hate having to do things on my truck other than exactly how I want to, but the cost is about half and it's immediate, so....

I'll post pic's once the work is done.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #116
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

I hear what you're saying. If you can get a good deal on something local it would probably be smarter.

You can always upgrade later after you've enjoyed crusing it for a while!!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #117
Dan in Pasadena

Well, today was a series of good and bads news. The shortest version I can offer is I bought a "55-59 Chevy Truck radiator" from an eBay seller who has a warehouse locally because I was in a bind for getting it to my shop today. Turned out to NOT be anywhere near a bolt in. I (my mechanic @ $$$/hr!) would have had to fabricate mounts for it and chop up the fan shroud I just bought for it. I took it back expecting a fight but they were cool and even acted as though it was a common complaint....it probably is! I'm going with an original copper/brass unit afterall.

My new finned air cleaner arrived today and I had to/wanted to buy a chrome thermostat housing-mine crumbled when they took it off. I also dropped off my old school finned valve covers at the shop since they're changing the intake anyway. Later, the shop called me and (get this!) ASKED if they could touch up the Chevy orange on my block since we are changing out so much of the appearence parts?!! "Hell Yeah" was my answer. I stoppped off after work and it looked pretty good. I probably will not get the truck back til mid week next week. Pic's will be posted, of course!
Old 07-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #118
WIDESIDE72

This gives me hope for my 55 big window that I have not been able to turn a wrench on since I was in high school...20 years ago I have had many projects come and go since then. maybe it will be a retirement project (?)
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #119
FFredo

Dan, bummer on the radiator. It's a shame that things are advertised to fit but seldome do. You'd think they would have the class to say "Can be made to fit" at least you'd know what you're getting into.
FFredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:36 PM   #120
Dan in Pasadena

Fredo, Are you goingto the Brothers' show tomorrow afterall? I'm not sure if I can make it...obviously, my truck won't make it-DOH! MY mother-in-law's 89th birthday is today and we're throwing a Quincineira-like party for her (that's like a coming out party to those who don't know) since she was involved in a major car accident earler this year and her neck was broken! Didn't look like she was gonna make it for awhile, but she's finally fine now. Family is in from other parts of the country, etc. I REALLY want to see everyone's stuff tomorrow, but don't know as of now.

That radiator I returned had the tiniest filler neck and cap on it - seriously, a garden hose wouldn't have fitted in it! Glad I returned it. I REALLY want a rad like ChuckDriver's setup. SO damn clean looking. But the kit is a bit over $500 from U.S. Radiator and it'll wait til other stuff gets sorted out.

Wideside72, my '55 is sorta/kinda MY retirement project. I'm 56 soon to be 57 and I won't retire for about another 5 years but I intend to keep it long term. Ironically, I graduated high school in '72 and was driving my Dad's purchased-new '55 Chevy two door hardtop Belair. I didn't want it of course. I gave it back to him to buy a '66 Chevy van - WHAT an idiot!! He sol it for $450...and it was perrrrfect! Kills me everytime I think of it.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:03 AM   #121
Dan in Pasadena

Okay, so I FINALLY got my truck back from the shop today. Man am I happy. It starts and runs great AND...the engine looks brand new because I had a new dual plane Edelbrock intake manifold installed as well as some new, old school finned valve covers and finned air cleaner. The truck needed a LOT of stuff since it had sat almost 20 years!

Valves adjusted
Distributor upgraded with Pertronix, new cap, wires, plugs
Generator rebuild
Fan shroud installed on rebuilt radiator (turned out it had NO T-stat!)
New mini starter
New battery & battery cable
Rear tranny mount
Choke cable, hmmm...I think there's more but that'll do it for now.

Pic's...cause I like pic's. Just for shiggles, I'll re-post a "Before" picture:

Fugly:

Not exactly "After" cause I've still got work to do, but you get it:

This one was before I put the new air cleaner on it:

My new fan shroud & rebuilt generator visible

Apologies for the blurry photo of my new mini starter:

New up? Stuff that DOESN'T cost money Well, at least stuff I already have the parts for: New rear bumper, door weatherstripping, paint the rear portion of the frame, and on and on....
Old 07-16-2011, 12:06 AM   #122
Kim57

That looks great.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:35 AM   #123
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Kim. It still looks like Fred Sanford's truck on the outside, but under the hood I can be proud. I'm planning on more block touch up and cleaning/painting the engine compartment and accessories.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:17 AM   #124
57 3100

WOW !!!! what a difference dan... looking real good. i love them valve covers... got a set on my truck.

leonard
Old 07-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #125
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Leonard. Hey, I noticed your truck is a featured photo on Sid's dropped axle website. Congrats!