The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2017, 09:47 PM   #1
KyleSeal

About to install an AAW harness, quick question

About to install my AAW harness into my 1970 C10 and its given me a diagram with some poor instructions on how to cut the firewall, anyone have any better instructions? Or pictures?
Attached Images

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809

Last edited by KyleSeal; 01-10-2017 at 09:47 PM. Reason: adding photo
KyleSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:03 PM   #2
KY_GMC

Re: About to install an AAW harness, quick question

Yeah, you need to increase the opening to accept the new fuse box. Mount the cutout across the top and one side, and then trim the other two sides to complete the task. Can't remember which way, left or right. Not really a big deal.

Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592157
Engine Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592233
KY_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:15 AM   #3
dfwright

The instructions given are pretty clear. cut out the white box from this instruction page, then from the inside of your firewall, under the dash, line up the right and top lines of the cutout to the existing hole, and trace the cutout. You'll end up cutting the left side and bottom edge of your existing factory hole out a little wider, as well as rounding out the radius the top right corner. mark the hole spots and drill as described.

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:18 AM   #4
Gromit

I saw this too on the AAW site when first looking into their product line and it scared me off enough I ended up going with their Factory Fit line so that I wouldn't have to take on the responsibility of accurately cutting the firewall so that future owners of my truck wouldn't be cursing my name all the way into eternity.

For example, notice how they are asking you to make a cut in the sheet metal that is 2.6875"

So in other words I need to make a cut within half a thou with a jigsaw..

X.XXX5

Around a corner.

Right. I don't need the extra fuses that bad.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:33 AM   #5
dfwright

Don't get too wrapped up in the dimensions. They show you the dimensions on the paper, but you don't have to measure anything. Just cut the square out of the paper, trace it in the right place on the firewall, and cut out the traced lines. The bulkhead itself covers any rough places where your cut isn't perfect, so it's not seen after installation.

Also bear in mind this is the "Classic Update" kit -- it's not stock, and you need to decide if you want pure stock, or the benefits of the updated kit. I think the classic update kit is extremely nice, the quality is superb, and it offers huge flexibility in wiring your truck, all the way from mostly stock to heavy modern accessory use.

There are other non-stock considerations you'll need to deal with if you use this kit, since it is not set up for an external regulator, or for a stock points distributor. You can modify your wiring and use these if you want, but the classic update kit is designed to easily move up to an internally regulated alternator and HEI.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:11 AM   #6
Mollzyie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
I saw this too on the AAW site when first looking into their product line and it scared me off enough I ended up going with their Factory Fit line so that I wouldn't have to take on the responsibility of accurately cutting the firewall so that future owners of my truck wouldn't be cursing my name all the way into eternity.

For example, notice how they are asking you to make a cut in the sheet metal that is 2.6875"

X.XXX5

Around a corner.

Right. I don't need the extra fuses that bad.

Just round it off to 2-3/4 or 2-1/2 .... Or settle for 2-5/8 .... Not difficult .

Op ... If u can't figure out a template u might wanna think twice about the wiring part .
Old 01-11-2017, 12:17 PM   #7
jeffahart

just cut it a tad shy and fine tune with a dremel or file. The AAW classic update is a great kit. It's a fun upgrade. Plus you will know every wire is sound when you are done. Get the proper crimping tool, good strippers and heat shrink . I did a fair amount of soldering too. My son and I did ours, we took our time and did it in a weekend and a bit of extra work for a couple hours on a one or two following weekends.

I'm glad I did the classic update kit, I am very happy. Great and fun upgrade!

I still use the diagram when I need to find something in the wire bundle, nice documentation throughout the kit.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:32 PM   #8
KyleSeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollzyie View Post
Just round it off to 2-3/4 or 2-1/2 .... Or settle for 2-5/8 .... Not difficult .

Op ... If u can't figure out a template u might wanna think twice about the wiring part .
I'm asking for extra advice and help. There is no need to be rude to someone trying to better understand what to do rather than chopping a good firewall incorrectly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #9
KyleSeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwright View Post
Don't get too wrapped up in the dimensions. They show you the dimensions on the paper, but you don't have to measure anything. Just cut the square out of the paper, trace it in the right place on the firewall, and cut out the traced lines. The bulkhead itself covers any rough places where your cut isn't perfect, so it's not seen after installation.

Also bear in mind this is the "Classic Update" kit -- it's not stock, and you need to decide if you want pure stock, or the benefits of the updated kit. I think the classic update kit is extremely nice, the quality is superb, and it offers huge flexibility in wiring your truck, all the way from mostly stock to heavy modern accessory use.

There are other non-stock considerations you'll need to deal with if you use this kit, since it is not set up for an external regulator, or for a stock points distributor. You can modify your wiring and use these if you want, but the classic update kit is designed to easily move up to an internally regulated alternator and HEI.
Yes that's why I purchased the kit - seemed to really meet my needs since I'll be running a HEI dist and internally regulated alt. I also was pleased with AAWs customer service and price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2017, 12:42 PM   #10
Mollzyie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSeal View Post
I'm asking for extra advice and help. There is no need to be rude to someone trying to better understand what to do rather than chopping a good firewall incorrectly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Apologies .... Didn't mean it like that man !
Old 01-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #11
Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post

X.XXX5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollzyie View Post

They are not asking you to be within 0.0005 and you don't need to "round it off" either, because those dimensions won't be correct. 2.6875 is just another way of saying 2 11/16"
Old 01-11-2017, 05:50 PM   #12
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
He wasnt being rude, this is what everyone was thinking... Wiring is difficult. Cutting that hole is the last of your worries.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:19 PM   #13
dfwright

Quote:
Yes that's why I purchased the kit - seemed to really meet my needs since I'll be running a HEI dist and internally regulated alt. I also was pleased with AAWs customer service and price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Also bear in mind that you can't use the stock Ammeter gauge. The classic update kit is designed for a volt meter. I got a voltmeter gauge out of a '79 in the junk yard, and used that. There are several threads on the board about it, if you search. I put the needle and the gauge face from my stock ammeter onto the voltmeter mechanism, and my gauge panel looks completely stock this way.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:17 PM   #14
BrianG

That AAW kit is an excellent kit. Two thumbs up. If I had four thumbs, I'd give it four thumbs up. I'll agree with what other's have said about taking your time and getting the proper tools. I soldered a good majority of my connections as well. I used this tool to do most of the crimps:
https://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-1892...re+crimper+set

It didn't always work perfectly, but usually did. Not the fault of the tool at all. I also bought a die for it to do spark plug wires. It's a pretty decent crimper once you learn to use it correctly. Luckily they give you some extra ends. I needed that for when I didn't set everything in the tool correctly. Get a good wire stripper also that will consistently strip the correct amount of insulation off.

My last bit of advice. Read, read and re-read each step. The directions aren't bad, they just don't always make sense until you figure out exactly what you are supposed to be doing in a particular step. I got confused a couple of times also, even did things wrong at first in some places. When I then figured out what was going on, it seemed to make perfect sense and things fell together really nice.

I am really pleased with how the end result of mine turned out. It was my first time doing a complete vehicle wire job and I think it looks fantastic.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:31 AM   #15
KY_GMC

I used a simple crimping tool from Klein that worked 99% of the time.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-I...+crimping+tool

You can also find these at Home Depot.

Also, get yourself a roll of the wire loom tape (non-adhesive) and wrap the bundle of wires as you go. It is difficult to do once the wires are installed.

Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592157
Engine Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592233
KY_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote