The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #1
QBRacing

1958 SWB C4 Fleetside - NZ Build

Hi guys. long time browser and reader but haven't posted much.

Thought it was about time as I have jsut secured a 1958 SWB Fleetside (small window).

It is currently sitting in Lomita CA waiting to be loaded onto a boat and shipped to me.

Only have the 1 pick at this stage but there will be plenty more as I start the build. It has no engine or trans atm but Ive been told buy my purchaser its a super solid body (rust free) even in the rear cab corners etc though there are a few dents.

Plans are
Flatout - C4 front and rear setup
stock 5.3L LS with holley high rise
Couple of small snails and associated plumbing
possibly bags though I have yet to find many c4 setups with bags (most do the aldan coil overs)
There will be a few other goodies while I am at it as I love to tinker (as proven by the 71 Nova Ive already built over here.

Quintin
Attached Images

Last edited by LockDoc; 02-28-2018 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Made mistake in title
QBRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:54 PM   #2
QBRacing

Re: 1958 SWB C4 Fleetline - NZ Build

OK, so my importer/exporter (depending on which side you are looking from) has just supplied me the Vin number, 3A580110903

If I am decoding this right
3A = 3100 (swb)
58 = 1958
0 = Oakland
110309 = build number.

how would I establish if it come with what engine size as I know they come with 1/3 options.
235ci Inline 6
265ci V8
283ci V8

Quintin
Old 02-12-2017, 12:14 AM   #3
Roadkill58

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBRacing View Post
OK, so my importer/exporter (depending on which side you are looking from) has just supplied me the Vin number, 3A580110903

If I am decoding this right
3A = 3100 (swb)
58 = 1958
0 = Oakland
110309 = build number.

how would I establish if it come with what engine size as I know they come with 1/3 options.
235ci Inline 6
265ci V8
283ci V8

Quintin

Your vin# would start with a "V" if was a V8. A=3100, B=3200

First two digits of my 59 is: VA

First two digits of my 58 is:3B

Roadkill's 69 Custom C20
Roadkill58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:55 AM   #4
QBRacing

I was just coming on to say stand down as I found it in small print at the bottom of the page.

Guess I'm looking for an inline 6, box and shaft if I want to get it running before I start the LS conversion.

Will post more pics once I get the truck I guess, not much more I can do till then. Been given the 16th of March at this stage.

Q
Old 02-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #5
QBRacing

So the guy importing the truck for me has sent me another few pics.

Now I am super excited. I never expected it to be that tidy for 4K and the dents can be pulled easy enough ...

Pics say a thousand words so enjoy
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2017, 12:58 AM   #6
QBRacing

So my 58 SWB Apache finally arrived in NZ the other day and my importer said it will need some assembly work as they squeezed it into a container with 3 other cars.

Man he wasn't joking......
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2017, 01:05 AM   #7
QBRacing

It only took a few hours to get it rolling again and the cab back on and now I need to wait for our transport agency to check the VIN numbers so that it can be registered in NZ at a later stage

I also took a quick video as I intend to do a running blog on youtube with this build to cover all the stuff I do as I go.

Video #1 - 58 Chevy Apache Build
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #8
Az. Hank

Holy cow! They took it apart to ship it? Nice truck to start with.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:52 PM   #9
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az. Hank View Post
Holy cow! They took it apart to ship it? Nice truck to start with.
I had the same thought! Made me wonder if they got authorization to do that? Anyway, it doesnt sound like Quintin is too bugged about it or if he is he's not posted it.

Qunitin, I hadn't see this thread before this morning but n first reading it i was going to post, "Don't be so certain it doesnt have rust, they ALL have rust!"

It was "born" in Oakland, a seaside town. Who knows where it lived its life. Check for rust around the rain gutters, headlight eyebrows, etc. Best of luck, Dan

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:42 PM   #10
QBRacing

As for the dissassembly of the truck.... I know the importer and he knows me and my plans ... I told him if it makes it cheaper for me do it so he did ..... cheaper is good , plus im fully stripping it anyway as part of the build so it saved me time

I know it has some dents and some rust but i've seen examples where floors and a/b pillars are fully rotten which these arent. When I strip it down time will tell i guess.

oh - and here is a link to it a week or so ago before i went on holiday.
VIDEO OF MY 58 APACHE @ IMPORTERS

and its being delivered today ...........

yipppeeeee

Last edited by QBRacing; 03-31-2017 at 04:45 PM. Reason: link added
Old 04-18-2017, 09:20 PM   #11
QBRacing

So i haven't done much to it at this stage other than bolt the front guards on with a few bolts and start to infantry-ise all the parts that come with it. got spare bucket surrounds and trim panels, a near new tank (which i sold already as im going under bed).

Think ill start by removing the doors and dash and wiring etc to strip it all down then soda blast the cab and prime it for now. I know the rook needs changing so ill get one of those on order shortly but im also in the middle of moving to a house with 3 car garaging to assist ...

watch this space I suppose.

Q
Old 04-19-2017, 06:40 AM   #12
dug224

Looks like a great starting point!!! We share the same roof problems. I'll be interested in seeing how you handle it. Enjoy the build.
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:45 AM   #13
QBRacing

So I ordered my first parts and ot wasn't the roof skin ....

Decided to start with the Flayout Engineering front subframe kit. My NZ importer already had an 84-87 front end in stock including steering rack and he wanted it gone so I got it cheap ($200 NZD = 160 USD).

I plan on running a c5 brake setup with slotted rotors and the Vansteel adapter kit. Would prefer a 4 pot caliper over 2 pot but even that's better than the factory c4 single.

No pics yet but I expect to see it all in about a month
Old 04-29-2017, 12:18 AM   #14
QBRacing

Gotta love a rainy day when you have no plans .... So i decided to work on the Apache.

Started by removing the doors and other than 2 broken cage-nuts I managed to get them out without 2 much fuss.

I then proceeded to strip the interior of everything bar the seat as we may be moving soon so I need it somewhat steerable. Only had one stubborn screw on the glovebox to deal too. A previous owner has made a massive hole in the dash so ill either need to patch it or use it as a template for a tablet or similar ......

Next I started on the subframe. I removed the radiator support brackets and made them bolt on rather than those crappy welded rivets. I plan to use this point to mount a crossbar too when I remove the factory front x-member.

Does anyone know of an easy way to remove the x-member (I see a lot of those welded rivets which is going to be a pain).

I also drilled the rivets in the rear roof/rear panel section and chipped away at the bog, man, its pretty dented on the rear and right hand side. I am definitely going to need a new skin.

Anyone know of a how-to to remove the skin, I couldn't find one.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2017, 02:33 AM   #15
QBRacing

So another rainy day, another day in the shed.

Decided to make a temporary front crossmember and ended up bolting a piece of 100x50 between the chassis rails. Not pretty but its going to ensure the width stays the same during the chassis mods.

Once that was fitted I got into grinding, drilling and punching the factory welded rivets out of the engine subframe. Once I had blunted my 10, 9.5 & 9mm drills I finally got there and while it is still in the chassis rail it is now loose. I plan to just grind right through the middle of it and let it hit the floor.

Here is a link to a video of it on my youtube channel

Cheers

Q

Last edited by QBRacing; 04-30-2017 at 02:34 AM. Reason: edited video link
Old 05-01-2017, 02:04 PM   #16
Scottish58chev

Looks good man. Looks like a nice solid base to work with
Scottish58chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:44 PM   #17
QBRacing

So I have finally received my Flatout Engineering C4 front subframe . Have to say it looks absolutely amazing and I cant wait to get started fitting it in the chassis.

I also took possession of what I believe to be some 85-87 C4 A-Arms and spindles although I am missing the right upper arm (wrecker over hear had 4 LH no RH doh....).

So if anyone has one of these kits and can confirm the missing part number I need that would be great , here is what I have so far.
LH SPINDLE -------- 14084041 L.H (cast) 304031 (stamped)
LH UPPER ARM ----- 3134923 (cast) & middle rod 11271 (stamped)
LH LOWER ARM ---- 3Z51 (cast) and H6568 (stamped)

RH SPINDLE -------- 14035700 R.H (cast) 3145006 (stamped)
RH UPPER ARM ----- missing
RH LOWER ARM ---- 4Z51 (cast) and H8314 (stamped)
Attached Images

Last edited by QBRacing; 06-28-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:49 PM   #18
QBRacing

Issue #1

So I also had a play today and struck problem #1 - the lower arms wont fit over the lower mounts.

Either both arms I have are too narrow or the lower mounting points on the subframe are too wide. I measured the following and if anyone can shed some light that would be good (anyone with first hand experience)

I measured
10- 1/2” (267mm) inside of bush to inside of bush on either lower arm.
10- 3/4” (273mm) the width outside to outside for mounts on the subframe.

While I plan on changing the bushes before final install they should be similar to what’s fitted.
As you can see by above dimension and photos below there seems to be a ¼” (6mm) discrepancy.
I expected the bushes to be tight but no matter what I try it just won’t go over, the one I did get over smashed the inside lip of the bush off (which im replacing later anyways).

Any ideas help appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2017, 09:54 PM   #19
QBRacing

Issue #2

The box plates are designed to fit with the factory xmember in place and ive removed mine. this in itself isnt the issue and I assume that the cutout on the front edge of the boxplates is to allow it to slip over the normal x-member would this be right? (pic below)

Also the instructions say to place boxplate inside the upper and lower frame rails, which mine simply won’t do.
The rear end is simply too wide and angles off where the chassis is straight (pic below) and the front end appears to be right where the chassis rail narrows as it goes forwards (pic below).

Does anyone have any pics of the plates once installed or during install so that I can pass to my fabricator and we can make mods as needed to get it to fit.

I assume that the new xmember passes up into the chassis rails and that the box plates should be the same width as the verticals on the subframe to allow for welding later ......

Cheers Q
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2017, 09:54 PM   #20
QBRacing

Issue #1 fixed.
Went back to my parts supplier and checked his other lower arms. All the other arms he had worked fine on my subframe. Guess there is something wrong with the initial set he supplied as they are simply narrower in both the arm and bush area. weird ?

Now I just need to locate a RH 85-87 non abs spindle and upper arm and I can get to test fitting everything.

Q
Old 06-30-2017, 05:13 AM   #21
spectral

watching with interest from across the little ditch... can't believe they pulled it apart for shipping :O Hope you got all the bolts/nuts/mounts/pads/linkages etc.

Good luck with it all.
spectral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:37 AM   #22
QBRacing

On hold again while I now wait to located another front end for the subframe. I cant find the missing bits in NZ so the supplier is going to return the bits I have

I have just contacted Don from Flatout Engineering in the hope he has one lying around which will help speed the process.

good things take time I guess.

Q
Old 07-26-2017, 11:45 PM   #23
QBRacing

So Don has a front suspension setup he is willing to part with now I just need to wait to get it loaded and on a boat and to my house..... what to do while I wait ......

Lets start on the cab and body I suppose.

Started on the RF AA pillar area today before I got rained off (damn I hate winter).

Only one small bit of rust in the out drain run I suppose you would call it. Ill cut it out and put in a patch , shouldn't be to big a job. Initially when I hit bog I was like oh no but was pleasantly surprised once I got rid of it all.

Weather allowing Ill get into the LH Side and cowl panel area tomorrow (if it fines up)
Attached Images

Last edited by QBRacing; 07-26-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:29 AM   #24
QBRacing

Really ripped into it this weekend and made a quick video to show you all ....

Have sanded the bulkhead area, a pillar, and floors.

Plan to POR15 the floor and underside so used the marine clean and metal prep on everything including the Flatout C4 Corvette front member and started to etch prime the outside before my gun shat itself.

Progress Video 03 on Youtube
Attached Images

Last edited by QBRacing; 07-31-2017 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:32 PM   #25
QBRacing

And with a new gun this morning I was able to get the etch primer down on the front panels and part of the floor and steps.

I then used the POR15 and did the Flatout C4 member before doing the floors. After which I decided it wasnt worth saving the rest so then I also did the outer airbox area as well.

Come out quite nice.

Now to start on the millions of holes on the firewall .... sigh
Attached Images