The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2021, 05:44 PM   #76
6DoF

Re: Project: Tow-Rat (Lil' Blue)

i updated my cost sheet with a "gearhead math" cost and an actual cost to build. the difference being basically all iterations of the project including anywhere i made/lost money changing plans.

i started with the '55 6400 ... was a survivor n i sold it for a +$2000 profit
then got this 3800 ... -$610 into it after selling the engine/trans and seat
parted out a 4th gen Camaro for a t56 that i later sold ... total part-out +$500 profit
was going to mate the t56 to the TDI from my Golf ... fuel savings paid for the car, sold for +$3000
a c10 chassis and built the IFS for V1.0, that i later sold ... parted it all down for +$250 profit
drove home the $500 YJ, fixed it ... traded straight up for the 96 cummins ram
parted down cummins ram ... -$400 into keeping the 12v n frame
built the ram chassis and sold it to build the new hotness ... lost -$750 on that

all-in I'm doing ok so far, neither number is hateful all things considered. i think i'm on track that once "fully functional" i'd be able to sell it for at least the actual (higher) cost.
6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:53 PM   #77
6DoF

with the body so low on the chassis ... the steering box, ended up right in the middle of the driver side core support body mount. add in the need for as big of a radiator as i can get, and the jungle gym steering, and i'm running out of room! only free space is under the frame really, and i need both body mounts and bumper mounts still. so i placed a body mount puck, and some small tabs where the bumper would be ... and started trying to connect it all to the frame. i'm not super happy with how this looks, it just seams overly complicated. but i'm starting to think that's only because i don't have all the BS i'm building around in there.

Old 01-29-2021, 12:54 AM   #78
6DoF

decided i hated it ... started over.

the core support mounts are now inverted, so they bolt to the bottom of the frame instead. i was trying to keep the core support sitting on them even with a loose bolt, but this is just going to be way cleaner. the core support is basically flat against the front of the frame, so the lower plate will weld to it.

the bumper is also a completely separate mount now and should provide a little more protection. still need to figure out a better diagonal support thought. that might need to wait until it's built since i don't have the C30 crossmember modeled.

Last edited by 6DoF; 01-29-2021 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-29-2021, 01:13 AM   #79
RockTonka

V2 looks good...much simpler and I agree with isolating the bumper from the core support mounts.

1966 "Not-So-Original" Chevy Custom Trim Suburban
My Time-Killing Project Truck

1966 GMC Extended cab 1 1/4 ton 4X4
My Son's build thread
RockTonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:05 AM   #80
6DoF

detailed some more 3D n got a little more plate ordered Saturday from my buddy, can't wait to have the the front clip mounted. also spent Saturday replacing the ENTIRE power steering, pump and all the lines even up to the hydroboost, in my 2500. freaking blew out the ONE day my wife drove it to work, and it was our anniversary. none of the crazy rusty lines blew, was a new chinesium hose from the new cooler last year ... WTF!?! whatever, all new now.

Sunday i managed to get a little done even while trying to cut my finger off. while removing the bits of the factory dash support that were in the way of the new pedal assembly, i managed to GASH my finger on some grinder flash. one of those super deep, you felt it go that deep, and you are rushing to wash it really good before the nerve endings catch up n it hurts. but got that all cut out and clearanced!

so i got the Helix pedal firewall assembly and it's really nice, but sux. the dash side mounting plate is way off at the wrong angle and almost an inch too long. tech support said it was designed for the cars, but "should also work in the the truck". well i'm debating between cutting it up or returning it for the CPP.

also chopped the seat frame out of the yukon bench, no going back now! i had it latched while i was cutting and it stayed together well, so i'm now 100% convinced that once bolted to the floor it'll be great. just more attention to lining it all up than GM would have done in a factory.

Old 02-01-2021, 06:39 PM   #81
lower50's

I think we have all had one or more of those injuries, I think it is part of building vehicles. Wash, bandage, stop for a beer, go back to work.
1967 Jeep CJ5 1.9L TDI 33X13.5X15 Mud Grapplers.
1952 GMC 9700 p/u 7.3L diesel on air, dually
lower50's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:24 AM   #82
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by lower50's View Post
I think we have all had one or more of those injuries, I think it is part of building vehicles. Wash, bandage, stop for a beer, go back to work.
it's helpful having done it enough that i have a nice little selection of finger splints so i don't have to go out when it happens any more.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:07 AM   #83
dsraven

Electrical tape works. Wrap it tighter if you have a bleeder. My 5 year old grandson calls it garage bandaid.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:12 PM   #84
slammed57

lookin really nice.. sorry about your finger. they dont call it "sweat,blood and gears" for nothin
Old 02-02-2021, 01:35 PM   #85
_Ogre

i hate to suggest going back under, but...
cut out the ashtray bracket while you have the opportunity
it's nothing but in the way when you rewire the truck

i didn't and cut my fingers on it more than once while wiring

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:05 AM   #86
6DoF

:insert excuses for lack of progress:

chopped up the seat and got it's final resting place all figured. now i just need to fab up the mounts. shouldn't be too bad.

chopped up the Helix pedal bracket and got it to fit. she's bolted to the firewall and the dash, but now i need to weld it back together. also bought a 2nd pedal assembly just to steel the pedal for my clutch. pretty happy with this, need a longer bolt and to chop off the extra now.

Old 02-05-2021, 05:22 PM   #87
lower50's

That looks like it should work good, and when you bolt the seat down the wood blocks will give some extra support to the floor.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:51 PM   #88
layinrocker65

Quote:
That looks like it should work good, and when you bolt the seat down the wood blocks will give some extra support to the floor.
‘74 Chevy C10 SWB 5.3/4L80e, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital, US Mags
layinrocker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:04 PM   #89
6DoF

Quote:
i tell ya what ... i'm going to have to try something else ... i can NOT get the stain color to match floor!!!
Old 02-08-2021, 08:58 AM   #90
6DoF

seat is officially placed, and temporarily secured. the rear mounts are bolted to the factory seat location then tacked to the seat frame. the delrin spacer blocks are just sitting there but will be screwed to the seat frame and not the floor just for support. thought, i might also delete em after the mount is fully welded since the seat leans on the back of the cab anyways. the forward mounts will be riv-nuts in the floor vs the current self tappers now that i know the placement is good. fold n tumble seat still works great too. with the console down you really notice the driver seat being offset probably 2-3" from center of the cluster.

fit the steering and kind of wish i had gotten the 28" vs the 30". i'd rather have the brushed natural finish, but the 3 different finishes kind of sucks, so i might try and get a black 28". in the picture you can see it exits the firewall really close to the frame, and i could use it a little further away from me inside at that placement.

also got the pedals bracket all modified and welded back together, easier than shipping them back to try something different. cut up my 2nd set for the clutch pedal, and spliced the bolts to make the length i needed to get thru the whole thing. it feels pretty good, but now i need to figure out the height to place the clutch master. i was shocked and excited tough that the pedal shaft that came with the hydroboost for whatever application was perfect as-is!

Last edited by 6DoF; 02-08-2021 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-08-2021, 10:32 AM   #91
57FleetsideC4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
seat is officially placed, and temporarily secured. the rear mounts are bolted to the factory seat location then tacked to the seat frame. the delrin spacer blocks are just sitting there but will be screwed to the seat frame and not the floor just for support. thought, i might also delete em after the mount is fully welded since the seat leans on the back of the cab anyways. the forward mounts will be riv-nuts in the floor vs the current self tappers now that i know the placement is good. fold n tumble seat still works great too. with the console down you really notice the driver seat being offset probably 2-3" from center of the cluster.

fit the steering and kind of wish i had gotten the 28" vs the 30". i'd rather have the brushed natural finish, but the 3 different finishes kind of sucks, so i might try and get a black 28". in the picture you can see it exits the firewall really close to the frame, and i could use it a little further away from me inside at that placement.

also got the pedals bracket all modified and welded back together, easier than shipping them back to try something different. cut up my 2nd set for the clutch pedal, and spliced the bolts to make the length i needed to get thru the whole thing. it feels pretty good, but now i need to figure out the height to place the clutch master. i was shocked and excited tough that the pedal shaft that came with the hydroboost for whatever application was perfect as-is!

Coming along nice. I am thinking on what length column to get. It has a 31" chevy van column now but want aa different column. I want to get the steering wheel away from my leg with the stock seat. May go to a 33"ididit but not sure how it would fit. Keep it going. Steve
Old 02-08-2021, 11:36 AM   #92
6DoF

i bought the 30" since that was what the vast majority of them were. i did a quick measure and it seamed reasonable, but now i think the 28 might be what i need. my knee will JUST rub the back of the wheel when i lift my foot high for the brake. and i'd love for it to only stuck thru the firewall by almost nothing.

i'm a 6'3" 275lb dude though. my 5'8" wife wants to move the sear fwd like 1-2", but no way i'm putting in sliders
Old 02-16-2021, 07:44 AM   #93
6DoF

so i did return the 30" natural finish steering, and got a 28" all black. the 3 different materials/textures of the natural was pissing me off.

so funny story, i returned it directly to the Summit Racing warehouse where i like to go thru the scratch n dent pile. well they got rid of it, and that sux, hopefully coming back after renovations cuz even the staff was pissed. so i'm getting my gift card credit at the cashier and with no one else in line i ask for some extra help. their online order history is only 3 years and i've already lost access to orders i made for this truck. i asked if she could print out my entire order history for me to scan back into a PDF. sure thing! so she proceeds to then tell my wife how much i've spent at summit racing since 2013.

so i set about getting the 12V placement figured, that was a b!tch. at one point i got it stuck between the chassis and cab and had to just start cutting, but at least it was stuff i needed to eventually cut anyways. it "fits". engine/trans and chassis are sitting on separate jack stands ready for mounts. i have them all drawn up, but need to get the plate cut now ... i really need my own plasma table ...

firewall reference for how far back it is, the #6 cylinder is totally behind it. the '55 AL radiator is in basically the stock placement to check clearance, and there is some. fun fact: there is 11" from the rocker of a 1955 chevy truck up to the under side of the floor. and yet, with an nv5600 sitting on the ground it still requires cutting! that trans is literally in there with the bottom parallel to the ground and the same 0.5" above the bottom of the frame that the rockers are.

please excuse the second "rock out selfie" ... it just keeps happening!

Old 02-16-2021, 06:38 PM   #94
RockTonka

Looks good man!

We were at the Arlington Summit location a couple weeks ago and they had a decent scratch and dent section...there was all sorts was crap I didn't need but sure thought about buying!

Drivetrain looks right at home in there...

1966 "Not-So-Original" Chevy Custom Trim Suburban
My Time-Killing Project Truck

1966 GMC Extended cab 1 1/4 ton 4X4
My Son's build thread
RockTonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:58 PM   #95
Rickysnickers

"so i did return the 30" natural finish steering, and got a 28" all black."

How far out of the cab does the shorter one extend? Just out of curiosity, how tall are you? Does the shorter column "feel" more comfortable than the longer one?
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:54 PM   #96
71'tahoe

Awesome build! Keep up the good work!
71'tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:39 AM   #97
lower50's

Looks good in there, at least you will have a little bit of room from the back of the motor to the dash.
Your not supposed to do that type of transaction with your wife around.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:06 AM   #98
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockTonka View Post
Looks good man!

We were at the Arlington Summit location a couple weeks ago and they had a decent scratch and dent section...there was all sorts was crap I didn't need but sure thought about buying!

Drivetrain looks right at home in there...
YES! that's where they said it all went! man, there's always good stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
"so i did return the 30" natural finish steering, and got a 28" all black."

How far out of the cab does the shorter one extend? Just out of curiosity, how tall are you? Does the shorter column "feel" more comfortable than the longer one?
i'm 6'3 with some long arms, but my wife is 5'8. i set the column where it was on the close side of comfortable for me but the away side of comfortable for her. the 28" should put the butt of the column tube 0-0.5" out of the firewall at the very top of the slot. the DD shaft sticking past that.

it should be here soon, i'll make sure i get pictures as i set up the steering shaft.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:08 AM   #99
youngrodder

Nice looking progress.....Keep it up.

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:58 AM   #100
6DoF

battery tray's in, including a bolt welded to the frame to attach the ground strap. fuel cell mounts placed, but not totally convinced i like them yet. i need to get fittings on there and make sure i have enough room under the bed floor. 19gal x2, the current plan is to simply tie them together into one volume. no dual tank value needed.