The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2020, 04:41 PM   #1
SkidmoreGarage

Skidmore '67 C20

I have been a long-time member of auto enthusiast forums but have never made a build thread. I figure it is time to change that. I probably won't keep up with some of the more motivated builders on here, but I appreciate the knowledge that this board has to offer and hope to contribute in some small way.

I had been casually looking for a 67-68 in "Light Green" C10 for a couple years, with a white roof being a bonus. I had a few search alerts set up, but nothing had really been something that I couldn't live without. My goal was to get something that was a driver, not overly restored, and do an LS swap plus single turbo and just drive it. I had done my research, but only as much as you can with these trucks. This would be my first "classic car" without EFI . What does classic even mean anymore? It is 2020, everything over 25 years old should be a classic, but I can't really get behind much from 1995 and say that's a "classic".

This truck came up for a great deal 15 miles away and looked great in the photos, so I emailed within 10 minutes of it getting posted. I asked-told my wife about it and left the house within half an hour (I get a lot of leeway with my projects). I drove out and met the nice guy who owned it, and he had some great stories about the truck. It was exactly what I was looking for in terms of the condition. Someone had loved it and done a bit of upgrading and maintenance. It had rust but nothing catastrophic. It had been repainted somewhat poorly in single stage paint, with bad adhesion to a gold basecoat. Unfortunately, it was hard to start and barely ran. We did a couple low speed laps around his neighborhood, re-starting and trying to keep it running. It felt pretty solid. He had receipts for all of the work he had done (not much), he had the original for sale info from when he bought it, and he had the original to the truck paperwork. I plan to post that info, build sheet, protecto-plate, SPID, etc. when I get a chance.

So I couldn't not buy it (negotiated down to $5500) and took the risk, in that this is my first carbureted car and my first Chevy truck, and I had no idea if the poor running was due to something basic or catastrophic. As you can see it photographs very well and looks great from 3 paces. The guy was super nice and drove it back to Portland while I followed and gave him a ride home. It made the trip, somehow.

I then proceeded to offer my wife a ride in our "new truck". Well, it didn't make it around the block in front of all of our neighbors. I think she may be scarred from the experience, but she's come around to like the truck. Unfortunately, she has requested that I clean the interior (cigarette smell from the PO) and do something about the fuel smell (gas tank in the cab). Neither of these things bother me, so I haven't prioritized that yet. I haven't had a lot of time to do much to the truck besides get it running.

Here is my 1967 C20, "Skidmore".
Attached Images

SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 02:12 AM   #2
68bowtie

Re: Skidmore '67 C20

Beautiful truck. I love that color.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:47 AM   #3
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

It looks like a great start.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 01:39 AM   #4
SkidmoreGarage

So I have been neglecting this thread, but I haven't neglected the truck. I'll try to get it caught up from memory.

The first thing that I did was tackle the non-running situation. I took an inventory of the engine/ignition/fuel system and found a lot of bodges.

The plugs were all fouled with oil from the outside and unburned fuel on the inside, there was even a spark plug "spacer" on one of the plugs.

The original distributor was pretty beat up and base timing was out. The vacuum advance was non-functional.

The original carburetor was still on the engine, and in dire need of a rebuild. As I looked into it, I found that it was a little small and proprietary to the intake that was on the truck. Learned another interesting thing, which is that the intake manifold/carb was from the 283 engine and Chevy had installed them on the early 327 - "275 HP" engines. The heads are also the 283 heads from the factory, which means they aren't very high performance.

The headers had the internal flap on one side and it was seized solid.

There were numerous vacuum leaks, and the vac line to the transmission was completely rotted out.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2020, 01:51 AM   #5
SkidmoreGarage

Compiled a list of what to do to get it running:
Used Carb - Edelbrock 1406 (eventually rebuilt as it wasn't working right)
New Intake - Edelbrock Performer
New Spark Plugs
Distributor refresh- New Points, Condenser, Gasket, Vac Advance
New Waterneck and thermostat
New valve cover gaskets (super leaky cork gaskets)
New Air Cleaner
Service the header exhaust valve
New Fuel Filter
Transmission kickdown swap
Electric Choke
Oil Change
Transmission top-off

I then installed and taught myself as I went. I learned a lot, especially that unlike newer cars- older cars were built with a lot more room for error. They kind of just grabbed whatever was on the shelf that day and it was assembled by whoever was standing closest. It makes it pretty hard to get to the bottom of things sometimes. It is why this board is so helpful.

All of these new parts and work really made this thing really wake up. It isn't quick (even with the 4.55 gears), but it is fun to get around town. I attempted to do a bit of tuning on the carb as it had a tendency to lean out on tip in and full throttle. It now runs well at full throttle but has an issue with transient throttle response where it goes momentarily lean. I will install a spare wideband I have in the parts box to get to the bottom of it.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2020, 11:36 AM   #6
raggedjim

Nice work on the engine. It sometimes amazes me how much can be wrong and they will still try to run.

503 green is my favorite! Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:18 AM   #7
SkidmoreGarage

Thanks! 503 is my favorite as well. I got lucky when I found this one.

Now that I had gotten it running well enough to drive around (fingers crossed on the carb tuning!), I took on another interim project. It was supposed to be a quick refresh (tune-up, wash, and wax) and sell my in-law's 2003 VW Eurovan Camper. They are worth a bit in decent shape, so I figured I'd help them out.

Big mistake, it was a rust bucket from a handful of Ohio winters! It would not have made it another year out there. I was hoping for $12k and after a thorough inspection I don't think I would have gotten $6k. It was a basket case, rust everywhere, rear brakes were dead, wheel bearings were dead, springs were broken, abs and traction control lights were on, exhaust was rotten and broken in half, they had backed into a pole, the back hatch wouldn't open, clear coat had failed on the roof, and did i mention rust?

And this is where it makes a relevant turn. I did an inventory of what it needed, and did a quick cost-benefit analysis. I realized that this would be a great low-risk opportunity to teach myself the skills to tackle similar body and rust repairs on my truck (and Vanagon) and get this van back on the road. I hadn't done rust repair or bodywork before, but I figured with Youtube I could figure it out.

I had some false starts, for example having to buy a mig welder (Hobart 175) when I realized that my tig (or my skill) just didn't want to weld thin, dirty, and corroded metal with factory coatings.

I also underestimated the scope of what body panels needed to be replaced, and got lucky in finding a guy locally to cut the whole section out of another van. My initial plan was to replace only sections using custom patches, but I found that this really wasn't practical. In the end, I only made the replacement inner rocker from steel sheet.
Attached Images

Last edited by SkidmoreGarage; 09-01-2020 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:26 AM   #8
SkidmoreGarage

I won't bore you with photos from the suspension and chassis that needed to be wire-wheeled and rust converted and then painted. It looked pretty great under the car when it was done. I will also omit the mechanical work.

I used all professional paints, and learned the process of filler, glaze, 2k primer, two stage paints (learned that blending pearlescent paint is a tough place to start!), and how (not) to apply two part clear. I also used tinted bedliner for the roof and the lower rockers.

I think it turned out pretty well and I learned a lot and made a connection to the local auto paint shop. I also added some new tools to the garage.

Anyways, everyone likes photos (which I didn't take as many before photos as I probably should have):
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2020, 01:35 AM   #9
SkidmoreGarage

It turned out pretty well for a first time in a garage, but I wouldn't do it again the same way.

Key take aways:
  • Rent a spray booth next time
  • Just use an air compressor and sprayer, don't think you are doing yourself any favors with a two-part can
  • Don't try to cut corners to reduce scope, just do the work that needs to be done the first time
  • Don't be afraid to use body filler coverage (not thickness)
  • When you sand filler and hit metal, apply more filler before sanding again.
  • Don't be afraid to use a finer grit sandpaper earlier in the sanding process when you need to sculpt a fine detail
  • Don't be too hard on yourself and match the job to the requirement, it doesn't need to be perfect
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2020, 02:00 AM   #10
SkidmoreGarage

The point of all of that was to give some context for my next job on the truck, attacking the body and chassis.

I live in Portland and it rains, and I don't want to worry that my truck is rusting into the ground. I want to reach a happy equilibrium of cab sealing, no active rust, good window seals, good door seals, etc. I think I learned enough from the Eurovan to make that happen.

I don't have the time or space for a cab off restoration (maybe someday), but I hope that my truck isn't so rough that it needs that. I want to make a solid driver that will last another 10-15 years before it needs major attention (read new sheet metal). I also don't like to do things twice. Everyone has a different version of what is good enough, and mine is making the truck look like it is about 10 years old, instead of better than new or 53 years old. I also want to keep it no more than 2 months away from being on the road at any given time.

I am hoping to get some advice here on what I can't see that will likely need replacing, and things that are usually missed/overlooked. I would like to order as much as possible through Classic Heartbeat (they are close by in WA), and I may get the truck up there when I place my order to make sure I don't miss anything.

The first step was to get the truck in the garage and wheels off (for the first time), and spend a good couple hours just scraping off oily dirt (someone loved their grease gun, it was filthy under there!). I didn't get it clean, but I could at least see what I was working on. My next job was to take an inventory of what was there and the relative condition... I'll share a list in my next post. I also took the opportunity to remove the exhaust and the saddle fuel tanks.

I also ordered a Boyd's tank this morning to move the gas tank out of the cab, it's important to me and a step towards my ultimate goal of an LS swap (LQ4, 4l80e, run by Holley Terminator X Max), and it will work to meet my immediate goal of keeping the truck driveable during this process.

As of right now, the interior is out and I'll post pictures tomorrow, along with actual questions.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:57 PM   #11
LT7A

That's a neat truck and you did a great job on the van. You seem practical and level-headed and will probably move your project forward quickly because of that. You've already gotten a lot done. If you're still fighting grease on the undercarriage, I'm always surprised how well Simple Green works away at that. I spray it on the engine, wheel wells, and undercarriage when I get a new project. Work on something else, letting it soak in and then rinse it off. After three times I'm always surprised how much cleaner it is with so little effort. I look forward to seeing your progress and thanks for mentioning Classic Heartbeat. I will check them out.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:08 PM   #12
SkidmoreGarage

I took some photos of the worst rust areas, the passenger and driver's side look roughly the same. I can't see exactly where the water came from, but I think it may have been the windshield seal and the drip rail. I would appreciate any experience that you all can share when it comes to what to expect and need to replace.

The windshield seal doesn't sit completely flat, and the previous owner used bathroom caulking on the drip rail. I plan to strip it out this week to investigate. I am hoping this is the source of the water, there is no rust from underneath and the cowl looks really good. I am also hoping that the drip rail isn't completely rotten.

Let me know if there are any areas that I should be looking at that I haven't mentioned. The photos are the passenger footwell and kick panel, the door channel (looks pretty rough), and down into the rear lower rocker. I see some rust through the outside of the rocker, but I can't tell if it is from under the bad respray or from the backside of the metal.
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2020, 12:14 PM   #13
Low Elco

roof rail, especially at the seams at the forward corner of the doors. I usually clean them out and weld them solid. Seams at the bottom of the windshield corners. There's a seam in the cowl above the heater box. It's a sneaky one that a lot of people miss. On the cowl, there's some spot welds at the top corners. there's usually some there. poke with a awl, see what happens. Nice truck, good start!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:37 PM   #14
sfont66

Nice truck!
From the pics, it looks like you will need, at the very least, inner and outer rocker panels as well as kick panels and most likely the patch panel for the door pillars.
These repairs are not too difficult, but are a bit time consuming. A lot of good information on this board, just do a little research, gather all the parts and materials first, and have fun. I just did this on my truck this past spring when Covid first hit, I had a few weeks off at the time before being called back to work.
Looking forward to seeing your progress. I would also add, that if you have any slop in your door hinges, rebuild them first, this will help you later when aligning your sheet metal.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2020, 06:19 PM   #15
SkidmoreGarage

It looks like you are correct, I pulled the rocker last night to do an inventory and it looks like I'll need all of the parts you listed. I was optimistic that the lower outer pillar would be good after removing the fender, but the door side was totally rotted. I have attached the photos, let me know what you think.

I have the chassis manual (original and came with the truck), but it doesn't cover the sheetmetal. Is there a guide for the sheet metal to guide my cutting? There is some layering at the pillar that I would like to understand better.

I also would like to know what folks do for some of these pinch welds and seams around the cowl and footwell, they are super loose and are just asking to leak. Do people use seam sealer (quality 2 part) to seal these up? Is it worth it to weld some of them? What other improvements, outside of the advice for the drip rail above, are worth doing now? I was thinking of seam sealing the door channel with a bit of an angle and adding a drain at the back of the door opening to allow the water to go somewhere. With the overlapping rockers acting as the "drain", we are just asking for the rust to start again between the spot welds.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2020, 02:36 PM   #16
sfont66

Ok, first make sure your door gaps are as good as they can be. Then before any additional metal is cut out, test fit your new rocker. Some fit good , others need help, especially in the front door pillar area. Use sheet metal screws to hold the rocker in place while you work out the areas with fitment issues. Place the screws in areas that will be plug welded later, also make sure they are not in a spot that will eventually need to get cut out. By doing it this way you are able to tell that the problem areas or fitment issues are with the new rocker, and can sort them out before moving on to the other panels. This only works on trucks that don’t have extensive rust damage. Now that you know the rocker can again fit well the other panels can be addressed.
As far as a guide to cutting.... I like to save as much of the original sheet metal as possible, only cutting out the rust until you get back to good clean thick metal.
The area of the kick panel has multiple layers. Working from the inside of the cab back to the rocker, start with mocking up the inner rocker portion, then the kick panel, then the lower pillar patch, which will most likely just be able to slide over the rusty pillar, at this point the old pillar helps to locate the new patch, clamp it in place and dill out the 4 holes that go through the pillar patch and the inner rocker and floor support, this helps to locate the patch properly after the old rusty portion is cut out. Now reinstall the rocker and check your gaps again with door aligned properly. If good pull it all back apart and drill out your areas that need plug welds, sand spots getting welded to bare metal and apply weld through primer. Reassemble again, check door gaps, plug weld and tack a few areas so you can then remove door again for final weld and a ton or grinding.
This is obviously a simplified description of what you may have to do, but I hope it may help. Others may have more suggestions for you.
I may not explain things clearly at times, I do have some pics that may explain things better, but I don’t want to overstep on your thread. Also perhaps others have a better/faster/easier approach?
Old 09-07-2020, 01:17 AM   #17
SkidmoreGarage

Thanks for your response, I am lucky that the doors fit pretty well. The gaps are 60's car even, the hinges are tight and the latches close easily. I may also not be as picky as others.

I plan to order all of the sheetmetal before I move forward with the cab repair, so I hope to order that ASAP. I have put out a request for a source in the main forum section. I also need a windshield and seal (with trim).

In the meantime, I have started cleaning out the drip rail. As I toil away at this sticky chunky mess, I have started referring to the last guy who did the last "restoration" as the "Caulk Master". There is bathroom silicone everywhere. It is in the driver side rocker seam, holding on the door seals, and filling in the drip rail. "The bigger the gob the better the job". I scraped some of it away and found water, it hasn't rained in a month and it has been over a 100* multiple days. I am really happy that I started this work now, I think that it would have been a much larger repair in another year.

I have attached some photos for reference, the photo of the "cleaned rail makes it look worse than it is. The pebbly rust texture is a lighting effect.
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2020, 10:15 AM   #18
Low Elco

Do yourself a massive favor and get a 4 1/2" grinder and a flat wire wheel. Lay that sucker in there and have at it. Much easier. Good for cutoff wheels, too.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:22 PM   #19
TA_C10

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:32 AM   #20
SkidmoreGarage

I hear you on the grinder, I was taking it slow for the first 20 min to make sure that I wasn't going to find that it was so rusty that I was ripping the seam out. It should progress a lot faster next time.

I am waiting on the sheet metal and some other parts, I will hopefully drive up to Classic Heartbeat to pick up my order this weekend. I had to buy my inner rocker with floor extensions from summit (Tri-plus). They arrived in 2 days, amazing.

In the meantime I started cleaning up the chassis. It is filthy. I have removed at least a cat food bag's worth of dirt, gravel, and oil. I also removed the old saddle tanks and valves/fuel lines (which included the exhaust). I then took an inventory of what needed replacing, I like spreadsheets, so I put it all in there and won't bore you with tables and priorities.

I may have gotten a little carried away on the suspension. It was by far the dirtiest part of the truck, and as I dug into it- the more I realized it needed. For the steering it needed new outer tie rods and a pitman arm, everything else looked pretty good. The springs are all sagging, or they were heated to create a drop, so those will need replacing.

See if you can guess what impulse upgrades I have been working on...
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2020, 01:52 AM   #21
SkidmoreGarage

Ok, so I won't make you wait long in anticipation.

I did the math and found that to get the suspension back into safe, operable condition, I was looking at about $850. A brand new QA1 front coilover setup came up for sale locally and I snagged it. Seems like a pretty good value for what you get. I did a bit of research and I am still undecided for the rear of the truck, but I may fab up my own version of a shock relocation and get some lowering springs. I have the rarer '67 HD rear axle (HO72?), It's 4.55 and you can't really get any upgrades for it, so I will figure out a plan for a junkyard late model cab and chassis axle with disc brakes and LSD.

The QA1 install is a surprisingly difficult job on these old trucks. The disassembly is 75% of the work, and could be more based on how dirty everything is and how nice you want it to look. I think you could do a Motortrend style install in 4-6 hours, where you spray paint over the dirt and don't clean up your cuts. I probably have 8 hours in and have another 4 to go. Unfortunately, I ran into a big problem and have to wait on parts. I thought I had later model C10 spindles. Turns out that I have 73-87 C20 spindles with 1" ball joints. They will not work. I ordered CPP cp4s4 73-87 2" drop spindles. They should allow me to continue to use my 1.125" disc brakes that happen to be 8 lug, and are also the generation that QA1 recommends for the geometry of the kit and the ball joints. Fingers Crossed that summit can get the here early next week. Also, what a waste of time to get my old spindles cleaned up. I have at least 2 hours into cleaning and painting those... Oh well.

I also picked up about $50 in upholstery supplies and a new seat cover. I am hoping to do a bit of arts and crafts to bring my old frame/foam back to life and add some contoured foam density under the driver and passenger. Pictures later this weekend.
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2020, 02:10 AM   #22
Scurry67

Awesome job on the suspension. I’ve been leaning towards the QA1 setup for both the front and rear. Keep up the updates, guys like me need the motivation!
Old 09-12-2020, 11:55 AM   #23
rechinca

Excellent work so far. And it’s amazing the mission creep that happens when you go down that rabbit hole. I started with trying to fix a leak in my lower cowl. Now I have no engine in it, trans is out at the shop, CPP lowering kit on the front, powdercoated the crossmember and control arms and I still have to finish welding in the new inner cowl. THEN I can start on the kick panels, rockers and one cab corner! Keep up the documentation, it is great reference material for the guys in the future doing the same work. (And those of us doing it the same time as you too)
Old 09-12-2020, 04:00 PM   #24
SkidmoreGarage

Ok, so it's a bit smoky here so I decided to take a swing at recovering the bench seat in the basement.

I have discovered a bit of automotive archeology. This is the 1967 early bench seat. It has been recovered before. The springs are in alright condition as far as rust but the driver's side edge spring and z spring are broken. I plan to DIY some improvements as I can't find replacement springs, and they aren't exactly perfect from factory anyway.

Unique features of the 67 bench seat:
it tilts forward with a wingnut locking it in the back position
it has very thin foam on the lower seat
it has even thinner foam on the seat back, and thick coils (may actually just have been a bit of burlap and 1/2" foam)
It has rounded corners on the seat back
It does not have provisions for hog rings around the front of the seat bottom
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2020, 04:11 PM   #25
SkidmoreGarage

The plan is to re-use the old lower foam (It's actually in great shape). I will add some jute, 1/2" felt beneath the foam and layers of foam with different densities to contour a bit around the driver and passenger on the seat bottom (less than 1"). With the new suspension, it will be nice to not be sliding around on the seat as much. I will also add some springs, zipties, and foam to the frame to support the edge.

I am not sure what I will do with the back of the seat. The foam I scored is way too thick, and I don't know if I have enough material to DIY something. I'll leverage the experience of doing the bottom to do the top.
Attached Images