The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2020, 11:36 PM   #1
HO455
Post Whore

Why RTV sealant is bad!

I pulled this engine apart yesterday and found this. From the outside I noticed the blue goo oozing from every joint around the timing cover. Photos 1 and 2. Photo #2 has blue lines pointing to the over application of RTV. When I pulled the head photo 3 shows the RTV that was inside of the water passage. The 4th photo shows the total length of the RTV that was in the passage. It is obvious that there was little to no water flow to number one cylinder.

RTV sealant must be use with discretion. Too much can be damaging. The is a reason that manufacturers like CAT no longer use RTV sealants. They now use the more expensive Anaerobic type sealants to prevent to prevent this kind of problem.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:43 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Why RTV sealant is bad!

I think the problem is 'misusing' RTV, not using. Too heavy an application I have known to be bad for many years. It's a good thing when used right. I never used it all that much, but it has it's good uses.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:48 AM   #3
Sheepdip

I guess I'm still old fashion as I still use gaskets with a very light film of RTV to fill any voids.
A few years back before the internet I went to a parts house for a couple of front/rear differential gaskets for my 46 CJ2A, I was told #1 "we don't have those" and #2 "everyone just uses silicone"....not me, I eventually got my gaskets.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:19 PM   #4
truckster

I only use RTV where necessary. I prefer to use gaskets with a light coating of Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket on both surfaces.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:25 PM   #5
Killer Bee

there isn't a sbc on the planet that won't leak somewhere without rtv
Old 10-06-2020, 12:53 PM   #6
bhemingson

Don't blame the gun - blame the gunner. RTV in the appropriate amount is ok
bhemingson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 01:18 PM   #7
i82much

Hogwash! I love it so much I use Ultra Copper as toothpaste!
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:47 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I only use RTV where necessary. I prefer to use gaskets with a light coating of Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket on both surfaces.
Many years ago I had a '75 Dodge Coronet that I got really cheap. It jumped time so I bought the gears and chain only. Cleaned the mating surfaces and used Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket and no gasket! My neighbor was going nuts, not believing that it would seal. I'd hate to be the person who had to pull it apart later, though.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:49 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
Intake valley gaskets at the ends and oil pain gasket at the main seals. A little dab'll do ya... ey?

I get what HO455 is saying about excess RTV "internal ooze". Button the thing up and that's the part you don't see and it can cause some serious issues. This is why RTV "can be" bad

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:07 PM   #10
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I remember an old story (I think in Hot Rod Magazine) about some team losing a drag race because the carb had a chunk of RTV in it. I don't let stuff like that get anywhere near the fuel system. I wonder how that happened?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:33 PM   #11
jimijam00

NOTHING wrong with RTV.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:52 PM   #12
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I remember an old story (I think in Hot Rod Magazine) about some team losing a drag race because the carb had a chunk of RTV in it. I don't let stuff like that get anywhere near the fuel system. I wonder how that happened?
I bought a used but looked brand new 600 Holley on craigslist for a $100 bucks, the guy said he ran it about 100 mi and decided to go with a different carb......found out the real reason why.

Got it up and running and had problems right away, pulled the front bowl off and it was full of RTV bits, of course plugging the jets and whatever else.
I thought how in the sam hell did that get in the fuel system. It appeared that the carb had not been separated and no sign of RTV on the bowl gaskets.

Got a gasket kit cleaned it all out still runs perfect today. One of those mystery's.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:08 PM   #13
Orange Crate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
The is a reason that manufacturers like CAT no longer use RTV sealants. They now use the more expensive Anaerobic type sealants to prevent to prevent this kind of problem.
Everyone is missing the point of HO455s post! There is something BETTER than RTV.

HO455 please tell us about the newest Anaerobic sealants. Product names part numbers where we can get it...
Old 10-07-2020, 01:13 PM   #14
weq92f

Gaskets + Gasgacinch!

-klb
Attached Images

99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold

Last edited by weq92f; 10-07-2020 at 06:20 PM.
weq92f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:48 PM   #15
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crate View Post
Everyone is missing the point of HO455s post! There is something BETTER than RTV.

HO455 please tell us about the newest Anaerobic sealants. Product names part numbers where we can get it...
no - they are two different product categories used for different applications..

the proper use of each is the path to success

THE TEN MOST COMMON GASKETING MISTAKES

6. Trying to fill a large gap with an anaerobic gasket maker.
Anaerobic gasket makers and flange sealants are designed for sealing assemblies where two close fitting machined metal surfaces come together. They’re generally recommended for gaps of up to 15 to 20 thousandths of an inch only. If you’ve got larger gaps – such as sealing a stamped steel oil pan, you should be using an RTV gasket maker.

what you may not understand is that anaerobic sealants will stand in open containers for years and never cure until applied where isolated from oxygen.. loctite thread lockers are a perfect example of this, they'll sit without caps for years and still be liquid..

rtv products work much differently, they react to the moisture in the air which initiates curing process.. they are also a type of anaerobic as they continue to cure internally where oxygen is not present.. that is why a slightly used tube of rtv will be cured to the seam with a year or two after opening..

there are hundreds of these types of products out there.. best practice is to become more familiar with the process you're working with and apply the proper sealing technique and sealants to the job..

happy sealing!

Old 10-07-2020, 04:48 PM   #16
Boog
laying low

Way back in the 80s the company mechanic ( and I use that term oh so generously ) kept the trucks running, in and out of the shop mostly. My truck had no heat. He yanked a heater hose off at the firewall and there was a blue strip of silicone. He pulled it out and it was almost 12" long. NO WONDER I had no heat!
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:00 PM   #17
garyd1961

If you use the right stuff in the right places there is nothing wrong with it. Just rebuilt a Toyota 22re and the pan gasket is still laying on the workbench. The gasket will leak long before the FIPG gasket maker will. Lots of auto manufacturers recommend gasket makers in a tube over regular gaskets nowadays.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:45 PM   #18
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd1961 View Post
If you use the right stuff in the right places there is nothing wrong with it. Just rebuilt a Toyota 22re and the pan gasket is still laying on the workbench. The gasket will leak long before the FIPG gasket maker will. Lots of auto manufacturers recommend gasket makers in a tube over regular gaskets nowadays.
Right stuff is the #### I put the hashtags in . Use a little and it pretty much will outlast the part
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:58 PM   #19
Killer Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Way back in the 80s the company mechanic ( and I use that term oh so generously ) kept the trucks running, in and out of the shop mostly. My truck had no heat. He yanked a heater hose off at the firewall and there was a blue strip of silicone. He pulled it out and it was almost 12" long. NO WONDER I had no heat!
we're captured fleet here.. this is what uncooperative drivers get from my guys

not directed at you Boog but your story reminded me of it

Old 10-07-2020, 10:28 PM   #20
CastIron

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd1961 View Post
When you say the right stuff are you talking about the sealant called the "right stuff"? I've used that many times and it does work great. I've also used Toyota FIPG many, many times and it works great as well.
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:23 AM   #21
Peanut74

This thread has some good examples of how the "the more the better" philosophy is bad. I do use sealant but as stated by others just enough to do the job IE: small 1/8" to 1/4" diameter beads. For the high temp I use spray on to make sure I get a seal and to make sure I don't over apply the sealant.

I was taught by my dad who permatexed everything. Old habits die hard..
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
1976 Chevy short bed with a 327 and 3 on the tree (Sold it to buy the Blazer)
1971 Chevy Blazer (Sold it)
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:03 PM   #22
Jblackie47803

I've read about people cracking intake manifolds they tried to remove after being sealed on with The Right Stuff.
Jblackie47803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:18 PM   #23
garyd1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastIron View Post
When you say the right stuff are you talking about the sealant called the "right stuff"? I've used that many times and it does work great. I've also used Toyota FIPG many, many times and it works great as well.
I should have phrased that differently. I do know about the "Right Stuff" but I was referring to using the right type of sealant/gasket maker. There are different types for different applications.
Use the right amount of the correct sealant and you shouldn't have a problem. There are some applications though where using the correct gasket without sealant is best. Certain intake gaskets already have a bead of sealer where needed and should be applied dry. The same for head gaskets.

Last edited by garyd1961; 10-08-2020 at 09:23 PM.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:06 PM   #24
bry593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
True that!!!