The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2022, 10:29 PM   #1
1979k54x4

Rim diagram

I have a 1979 k20 4x4
It's 8 lug I want to buy a set of rims
That look like in a picture I put on here.i
Don't know the dimensions or how to go about it
Like the rim center hole dimensions back spacing rim with what size will fit I like to try to keep the 16 size would like to go with 10 inch wide.
Attached Images

1979k54x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:19 AM   #2
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Re: Rim diagram

You misspelled "wheels"
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:00 PM   #3
Mike Bradbury

Yeah it can be confusing with some dimensions in metric and some in imperial. the bolt pattern is 8X165.10mm which is 6.5".

Most after market rims that are custom are lug centric versus hub centric. They do this so that the manufacturer can make wheels that fit various axles. they also over size the hub just slightly because ford has a different size hub than Chevy and Dodge and so on. Chevy 8 lug hubs are generally 4.5" which is 115 mm but generally they size them to 121mm. If you want hub centric wheels with flat lug nuts (not the conical shaped ones then look for wheels with 115mm bore. Alcoa is a good example of wheels that are hub centric.

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583

Last edited by Mike Bradbury; 04-21-2022 at 09:19 PM.
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:15 PM   #4
Mike Bradbury

Offset and backspacing are another confusing kettle of fish because they are also a mash up of metric and imperial values.
offset is measured off the centerline of the wheel. Negative gives you more "dish" versus positive offset pushes the hub of the wheel more toward the outside of the vehicle. Offset is measured in millimeters

Backspacing is the distance from the hub to the inside edge of the wheel and is measured in inches. This value is important especially if you are running small 16" wheels because components like disc brakes and lines may get in the way with too much back spacing.

Measure your current wheels while they are on your truck. Turn your wheel to the left or right, and with a tape measure measure the distance from the inside edge to the closest component it would hit if it had a deeper backspace. Remember the frame could also get hit by the tire with a ten inch wheel. Then go on the other side of the vehicle keeping the wheels cranked to one side, and measure the other side for interference issues. Next jack the truck up and take off the wheel. put a straight edge across the inside of the rim and tape measure from the straight edge to the inside hub of the wheel. This will give you your current backspace. Next, with your measurements you took while it was still on the truck you can estimate your new value. Remember tires flex in turns so don't make the backspace and off set to tight of a tolerance because it may rub when you are moving.

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583

Last edited by Mike Bradbury; 04-21-2022 at 10:08 PM.
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote