The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2021, 10:47 AM   #1
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

What one thing made you feel real good "after "

buying your "USED"square body truck ? I know that some of you when buying your truck check these things out first what I am about to share with you .,but in my case I bought mine by mail and had it shipped to me ..

I found that my door strikers had no plastic part on them ,therefore making the shutting of the doors not so good.
So after watching the u-tube on what makes the doors shut bad ,, they first said grab hold of the door and lift it up and down... to find if the hinges are worn out
What made me feel good was that when I went out to the garage and lifted both doors up and down I found that the doors are solid with out any movement ..
What did you find you were happy about when first buying your truck.. surely there was at least one thing that made you smile ?
Old 11-11-2021, 11:39 AM   #2
THI

Re: What one thing made you feel real good "after "

When we pulled up to look at it, had not even gotten out of our car yet, my wife said "BUY IT"!
THI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 01:38 PM   #3
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by THI View Post
When we pulled up to look at it, had not even gotten out of our car yet, my wife said "BUY IT"!

Pretty hard to beat this one for a good feeling about a purchase of a Square Body Truck..
Old 11-11-2021, 08:16 PM   #4
ninety6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
buying your "USED"square body truck ? I know that some of you when buying your truck check these things out first what I am about to share with you .,but in my case I bought mine by mail and had it shipped to me ..

I found that my door strikers had no plastic part on them ,therefore making the shutting of the doors not so good.
So after watching the u-tube on what makes the doors shut bad ,, they first said grab hold of the door and lift it up and down... to find if the hinges are worn out
What made me feel good was that when I went out to the garage and lifted both doors up and down I found that the doors are solid with out any movement ..
What did you find you were happy about when first buying your truck.. surely there was at least one thing that made you smile ?
If you didn't know -- you can fix this with a small piece of PEX pipe instead of buying a new stricker or trying to find the correct bushing.

Pex pipe cut to proper length, then slice it lengthways, pop it on, done.
ninety6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:24 PM   #5
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninety6 View Post
If you didn't know -- you can fix this with a small piece of PEX pipe instead of buying a new stricker or trying to find the correct bushing.

Pex pipe cut to proper length, then slice it lengthways, pop it on, done.
I seen that done on U-Tube also and I had a piece of pipe in my vice and was going to cut it and do what you said ..except I was going to take the striker out and put the pipe piece on with not cutting it long ways to install it .

But , after looking at my strikers ,,I see that they are ground off on the nubbing end from the latch of the door.. I am not sure what damage that might cause yet ,,if any ,, So to turn the striker so the ground down part is not on top ,,might as well put knew ones on for $15 ,,,
Old 11-11-2021, 08:31 PM   #6
Corts60
Just here to tinker

On my '88 I was super happy to find the reason for the cruise control not working...it was just un-plugged! Worked like a charm after connecting it.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:53 PM   #7
Ziegelsteinfaust

For some reason my son never liked the 2018 Siverado 1500 crew cab I had.

Now that the C10 is running good except for slight compression issues. He is looking forward to going on road trips.

I tried to find out why. He said he can see better, but it feels right to him. Now he wants a Suburban for us.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 01:20 AM   #8
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

Buying my new shorty C-10, and after burning rubber for a block when I pulled out of the dealership, found out it came with a 454 instead of a 350.
Old 11-12-2021, 11:43 AM   #9
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Big10 454 View Post
Buying my new shorty C-10, and after burning rubber for a block when I pulled out of the dealership, found out it came with a 454 instead of a 350.
That would be a surprise for sure.. I knew of kid way back in the 60ies that he bought a new(his folks bought him a new ) car every 2 years ,and every time he left the dealership ,,he too would lay a strip of rubber from the show room out and down the highway as far as the car would do it.. he was known for it .. and us from the country would hear about it and beat it to town to see the burnt strip .. easy to entertain us back then ,huh?
Old 11-12-2021, 12:51 PM   #10
Warrens69GMC

My dad telling me to come to his place, he had a FREE item for me. I didn't know about the truck.

Day I got it.....
Attached Images

Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 02:03 PM   #11
Rich84

When I bought the 4l80 transmission for my Ls swap in my longbed the seller gave me the drive shaft too. The tranny came from a van and the driveshaft that he gave me turned out to be the perfect length for my Square long bed.
I never would have guessed that it would fit.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:29 AM   #12
hooverfish

Bought my 84 short bed from estate of elderly man who had passed.
His niece told me the brakes were bad, said she wouldn't drive it around the block.

Didnt get to drive it until after I had bought it. On the drive home,
come to find out it had manual brakes (not power), recently had
complete brake job including new master cyl and flexible brake lines on front wheels.
It stops perfect, just have to use your foot instead of your toe.

Also had to use the 'Pex' trick on both doors, thank you to YouTube !

"It's a sorry man who can't find his wife a good job"
hooverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 10:26 AM   #13
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverfish View Post
Bought my 84 short bed from estate of elderly man who had passed.
His niece told me the brakes were bad, said she wouldn't drive it around the block.

Didnt get to drive it until after I had bought it. On the drive home,
come to find out it had manual brakes (not power), recently had
complete brake job including new master cyl and flexible brake lines on front wheels.
It stops perfect, just have to use your foot instead of your toe.

Also had to use the 'Pex' trick on both doors, thank you to YouTube !
There sure is a difference between power brakes and non power ,,and back before power brakes I didn't even think nothing of it to push that hard on the peddle.. as for the pex trick ..my striker end nubs were ground down flat ,, and for some reason my #50 tip would not fit into the striker ,,so I bought two new strikers with the plastic on them for $16 and they are 3/8 in and I used a Allen Wrench to tighten them up with ,,same as you...my doors shut tight and good.
Old 11-19-2021, 03:02 AM   #14
LT7A

I like your idea for this thread. I bought an 82 for parts. Nobody else had been interested in it because the owner had kicked in the doors and broken the windshield taking out his anger over a family issue. It had a 305 that I had no interest in, but I still needed to get it 175 miles home. My brother followed me in my other truck and about halfway home I realized the truck was running and driving way too good to pull apart. So I popped out the dents in the doors - they don't look perfect but they're not caved in anymore. I'll get a new windshield, and I have a neat little truck for the price of a parts truck.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 05:41 AM   #15
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
For some reason my son never liked the 2018 Siverado 1500 crew cab I had.

Now that the C10 is running good except for slight compression issues. He is looking forward to going on road trips.

I tried to find out why. He said he can see better, but it feels right to him. Now he wants a Suburban for us.
It's interesting that your son has such a specific opinion on that. Is he of driving age? We had a series of three Suburbans while I was growing up and they made a huge impression on me. As a big family, that's just what we had, so I never had anything to compare it to except for the station wagon we had prior to the 'burbans.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote