The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2023, 06:17 PM   #1
kglowacky

testing volt meter

have a 78 c10. Got the dash out trying to figure out why my volt meter doesn't work. My understanding is all it needs is switch power and ground. just tested I have switch power to the gauge. BUT I have no ground. So I went back to my trusted wiring diagrams I made when test the dash and it says the ground comes from the ribbon plug on the 4th wire in from the end. Right next to the third pink wire that is power for volt gauge. when I inspect the ribbon plug there is no wire at all in this spot.
I know I can install a ground wire if I can find a steel terminal in the ribbon plug or can I just run a wire from my temp gauge ground terminal to my volt gauge ground side.
I can just run a single ground wire through the back of the housing at last resort>
Thoughts.
kglowacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 07:11 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: testing volt meter

According to the factory wiring diagrams, the volt gauge should receive power via pin #4 of the cluster connector (pink wire (might have a black stripe), circuit #39E). Ground for the volt gauge should be via pin #3 (black wire, circuit #150H). There should also be black ground wires going to pins #8 and #10.

I don't know why yours would be missing the ground wire for the volt gauge. But the ground on pin #8 appears to only be used for the small fuel gauge in the lower left corner of factory tach clusters. So if you don't have a factory tach, you could extract the ground wire (with it's terminal still attached) from cavity #8 and move it over to #3.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 02:29 AM   #3
kglowacky

Re: testing volt meter

wow great info. will look at it in the morning.
kglowacky is offline   Reply With Quote