The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2016, 12:47 AM   #1
KyleSeal

Saginaw Transmission Question

Just a few quick and most likely easy questions, hopefully.

So it stopped shifting a few months ago so I took it out and took off the cover and bam no cam detent pin, and no detent cams! So after moving the transmission in weird angles I found them in the Chesapeake Bay colored oil.

My question: What do these detent cams do? I for the life of me cant figure it out. I've got tear down and rebuild manuals, but they do not say anything about these pieces.

other question, it seemed to slip out of gear easy, I could use my pinky to push it, does this raise any flags? Or is it normal?

Any key places to look for wear in general? I was going to buy a rebuild kit from eBay, around $60. So I'd like to know that it needs it before I do it.

and yes, I know buying an auto or buying a newer transmission would be a good idea, but I'd like to stick with this one.

My trucks a 1970 C10. Normal 3 speed Saginaw.

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
KyleSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:57 PM   #2
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Re: Saginaw Transmission Question

Are the pieces you need shown in this diagram?

2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:42 PM   #3
frankslagoon

The detent cam ass. holds the shift fork assemblies in gear or neutral position.you can only shift one fork at a time . one must be in neutral before the other will shift. the steering columm sort of helps ya find the neutral position but the detent cams hold everything in place in the tranny. So when ya shift from 1st the shift level goes to neutral and the detent holds it there. then the columm moves you to the other shift lever on the tranny, which is waiting in the neutral position. then you bring it into 2nd and the detent holds it there till you pull it out to go to 3rd. The reason your shifter feels loose and sloopy is because the detent cam isn't grabbing the shift fork. The diagram you have there is a 4sp. sag. but they kinda work the same way. Did you find the spring that's in there also? Anyway I hope I explained it alittle. I'm throwen a pic of a 4 sp. ass. on because I got it handy but if you need to see a real 3 sp. I can get one for ya in the morning.
Attached Images

frankslagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:16 AM   #4
KyleSeal

That did help a lot, thank you! Do you know of any literature to purchase to help me rebuild the tranny? I found a old Pontiac manual but it isnt very helpful. Are there any videos on rebuild?

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
KyleSeal is offline   Reply With Quote