The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2017, 01:57 PM   #1
Poz

Trouble keeping this old timer running

So, I was gifted a 1987 Chevy s10 from my wifes uncle and it belonged to her grandfather who passed 1 year ago. I want to make sure I keep this truck running as long as possible. The issue:

When I go to start, it will not start the first time, then when I give it another try, it starts up. I can drive it around for a little bit but once I turn it off or let it idle for a while, it will seem like it struggling to keep gas flowing and will cut off or it just wont start back up again. (Will have to use starter fluid to get it to start back up).

I am no mechanic but I am inclined to try and fix things myself. I am suspecting it may be the fuel pump but before taking on that endeavor, I am wondering what might be some things to troubleshoot this issue? Any help (pictures or links would be greatly appreciated) would be a blessing. Thanks!!
Poz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:41 AM   #2
cadillac_al

Re: Trouble keeping this old timer running

There probably isn't a lot of S10 info around here but I'll throw out some generic GM info. If GM was smart enough to put a fuel pressure port on your fuel rail it will be easy to check fuel pressure. If not, then you will have to listen for the pump and look for any fuel squirting in the throttle body (I assume it's FI). If it starts with a little gas or starting fulid then the pump could be bad.

You should be able to check for codes by using a paper clip. You might have to google that. There is probably S10 forums with more info on those things. Good luck.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:28 AM   #3
Katrina/10

Which engine is in it?

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:46 PM   #4
abig84

had a 85 with the 2.8 and a carb that was kinda like that. come to find out the timing was way off causing that issue for some reason. also if it was hot and got shut off it wouldnt want to start for a while either
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote