The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2024, 08:10 PM   #1
Rick Bollinger

Running exhaust

Is there any reason not to run my exhaust the way I have it? Ground clearance is fine and not hitting anything on the frame. Nothing welded or hung yet just mocking it up. Was thinking about going down, under axle, turning out and then back on each side of the tank going straight back below bumper. 2 1/2" 304 ss from headers all the way back.
Thanks
Rick
Attached Images

Rick Bollinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 08:14 PM   #2
Rick Bollinger

Re: Running exhaust

The U bends behind the mufflers are just on there for now not running it that way.
Old 03-13-2024, 09:36 PM   #3
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Smile Re: Running exhaust

i work in a muffler shop- almost 40 years- and personally i think it's too low. i would route it up through the trailing arm crossmember to get the mufflers higher. cut a round hole in the crossmember and weld in a 4 inch piece of pipe to run the pipes through welding in the 4 inch pipe helps strengthen the crossmember. just my opinion.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:25 PM   #4
cj847

I don't think I would go under the axle.

On mine it goes over the axle turns and wraps around both sides of the gas tank and turns down and out behind the back wheel.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:53 PM   #5
Rick Bollinger

cj847 do you have any pictures?
Old 03-14-2024, 12:15 AM   #6
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Bollinger View Post
The U bends behind the mufflers are just on there for now not running it that way.
I don't know. It would be an interesting sound.

I agree that it seems pretty low, unless the streets where you live are very, very flat.
Old 03-14-2024, 06:14 PM   #7
cj847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Bollinger View Post
cj847 do you have any pictures?
The truck is at the paint shop, but I will get a pic early next week. It was installed by the previous owner. I really like it. Best design I have seen.
Old 03-14-2024, 07:09 PM   #8
72SB

Just a note on the driveshaft....it looks to be to short. Quite a bit of yoke extending out of trans.
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 11:19 PM   #9
Rick Bollinger

Its a long yoke. there is 3" in the trans. Only 1 1/4" sticking out. It was too long and was bottomed out shortened it the minimum and now 1/4" shorter than I would have liked. pretty mild build 383 400 HP but no hook J's for me.
As for exhaust I am offsetting the mufflers up. Tail pipes will go over axle then down about 45deg and around fuel tank like cj847 describes. I will post pictures when I get it moved up. Two more 180 degree bends ordered to get them over and out.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:49 AM   #10
Extended Power

In my opinion, I agree with the other member in that it is hanging way too low.
My old exhaust system was run under the crossmembers, and when you step back, you could see the entire exhaust system...looked like some farm kid welded it on a Friday night just to cruise around.

New system is tucked up into the middle of the frame rails. Can’t see the header collectors, or anything else, until it pops out in front of the rear wheels. It’s all 3” with 4” exits.
Old 03-16-2024, 06:55 AM   #11
HalfBrit

Here’s a visual on the crossmember pass through. These are heavily modified Dead End Garage, from Pro Performance. Added a top section to mount the Holohan Hot Rods hangers. As said previously, this will keep the exhaust tucked up in the frame rails.
Attached Images

HalfBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 08:57 AM   #12
HalfBrit

Here’s another shot of the mocked up routing you could consider
Attached Images

HalfBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 08:11 PM   #13
Rick Bollinger

Halfbrit I like your set-up. I did move mine to the outside of the crossmember from there it is ran like yours except under the crossmember. It is highest towards the outside than where i had it before. My truck only has a 3 inch drop and stock size tires. So now at the lowest point I have 11.5 inches of ground clearance. When I get to the shop I will get some pictures.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:14 AM   #14
cj847

Finally got some bad pics. Hope it helps a little. What I like- tucked up as much as possible, can't see the tailpipes when walking around the truck. Truck is 2.5/4" lowered with 28" dia tires.

In front, the tailpipes are as tight as possible to the frame (ie pipe dia + .5-1") below frame rail is lowest point.

In back, the pipe is aimed down behind the rear tire and is cut off parallel to the ground. They are barely lower than the sheet metal of the truck.

I couldn't get a good pic of the over axle. Here is the passenger side. My muffler is laid flat, but I don't think that matters. Just up and over, then a tight turn toward the outside.

I like that it is subtle and effective.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2024, 06:24 PM   #15
Rick Bollinger

CJ847 Thanks for the pictures. Thats close to what I want but going straight out of the back. I raised it up as high as it would go. Now my lowest point is right at 12". I did get one side offset kinda mocked up but did not get a picture but here is a couple I got the other day after raising everything.
Rick
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2024, 09:12 PM   #16
Rick Bollinger

I ran back over to the shop and got this picture. Everything still needs to be squared up and hung but I think this is what I'm going with. 12" of ground clearance should be fine.
Attached Images