The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
benjaminearle

Recreating my first truck

OK, so I’ve been on here for a while looking for a 67-72 LWB 4x4 but recently drove one that was reasonably priced and I think GM made a good decision in '73. Whereas the trailing arm 67-72 is a nice ride, the heavier leaf spring 4x4 is just a buckboard.

My very first vehicle was a '78 LWB GMC Sierra Grande purchased new by my dad, two-tone gray over a red cloth interior. Power locks and windows, automatic, originally a 350 Diesel, the engine was replaced with an Olds 350 Rocket by my dad before I got it. American Racing outlaw wheels and always Michelin LTX tires.

I remember the truck vividly. I am in the market for a truck now and would pretty much like to recreate that old beast with a few slight modifications. Of course, the closer I can get to it to start with will save me money and time in the shop, but I'm also unsure of what "acceptable" donors would be to eventually end up there.

I was born in '77 and it appears that the '77 and '78 have a unique grille/headlight/signal arrangement, so I’d like to at least end up there. If that's doable on certain years and not others, I’d love to know. Also, I prefer the vertical corner markers that stopped, I think, in '79. Then, on the interior, 1) how difficult is it to change the color on the metal lower dash? Does it unbolt and pull out or must you paint it in place? And 2)I much prefer the early, "fat" door handles, not sure when those stopped. Also, I like the gas filler doors - not sure if those started in '78 or '77. I haven't found a '77 yet with them. I think most everything else is pretty consistent from ’73 to ‘87

The biggest change I want is that since it's now going to be MY truck not the truck I got from my dad, I want 4wd.

So, in the end, it would be GREAT to build this thing up as a legitimate '77, I would be very pleased with something that looked like a '77 or '78.

Any advice from anyone?

Last edited by N2TRUX; 10-26-2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: "training" arm? Seriously, spellcheck, it's TRAILING
benjaminearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
benjaminearle

Re: Recreating my first truck

OK, so browsing craigslist, i may have been mistaken. It might have been a '79. Doesn anyone know which year(s) the two-tone gray over red cloth was available in a heavy half diesel?
Old 10-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Since you jump around a bit, let me try to cover some of your questions. The 1977 year model was very transitional. There were many things that stopped, started, and some were exclusive to 1977.

The "fat" door handles you refer to sound like they were 73-76 style. The shorter door panels changed in 77 to accommodate the new style inner doors that allowed space for power windows and locks.

The vertical markers went to 1980. After that the new style front clip with square headlights and horizontal markers continued on until 87 (excluding 1 ton trucks and Burbs/Blazers).

BTW- You must be a subscribing member to make a "Wanted to Buy" post.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
benjaminearle

Thanks for your help. The truck DID have power windows and locks. I'm looking for a picture so maybe it can better be identified from that - the grilles appear to be quite specific.

Also, not to be dense, but do you mean that I am not allowed to talk about things i want to buy, or just can't post in the WTB section?
Old 10-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
Car'n'Guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminearle View Post
Thanks for your help. The truck DID have power windows and locks. I'm looking for a picture so maybe it can better be identified from that - the grilles appear to be quite specific.

Also, not to be dense, but do you mean that I am not allowed to talk about things i want to buy, or just can't post in the WTB section?
You have to be a paying member to do that.
1987 Chevrolet K10 Silverado
"The Beast" build 1987 Silverado http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6150257
Car'n'Guitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminearle View Post

This drawing isn't 100% accurate, but it will give you a better idea of the front changes.

If your asking about a source for a part, thats fine if your posting a "Wanted to Buy" thats reserved for supporting members and must be posted in the correct forum.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

78 blue/ red