The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2019, 01:52 AM   #1
DirtbagSean

Another AC thread

For 3 glorious weeks I enjoyed the 60ish degrees pumping out of my dash vents to beat the 100+ AZ summer. It only cost me a compressor and a belt to get there after years of non functioning cool air. Then a few days ago leaving lunch the relief valve at the back of the compressor let go, I shut down the AC, cloud stopped, and rolled it back to the shop.
After googling a bit i first thought there may be something in the line or orifice tube causing the issue. I replaced the lines, orifice tube, acumulator, and all fresh orings this afternoon. The relief valve seemed to reset itself, held -27lbs of vacuum thru a 5 minute test, took a recharge of the 3.1lbs I found to be common and used on my last charge and fired up the truck to equalize.

Boom! 90 seconds later and im pumping freon into the clouds like the EPA owed me money, right out of the relief valve again.

Any ideas before i yank this new compressor out would be awesome. I run the a6 comp on r134a in an 84 c10.
DirtbagSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:35 PM   #2
SunSoaked

Re: Another AC thread

I'll just add that 60 degrees at the vent is less than impressive. Typically, I think it's at least in the 40's. My Vintage Air puts out 42 degrees on a 110 Arizona summer day.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
twinturboc10

Did you have gauges on while charging to see high/low pressure? Could be condenser restriction or poor airflow if vent temps are that high.
twinturboc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:47 PM   #4
DirtbagSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturboc10 View Post
Did you have gauges on while charging to see high/low pressure? Could be condenser restriction or poor airflow if vent temps are that high.
Expectations have been pretty low on this one to be honest, i dont run an electric pusher fan or anything else and from what i read 50 degrees would be the best id get out of it. Ill throw a condenser at it tomorrow to wrap up the restrictions part of it and see how we do.
DirtbagSean is offline   Reply With Quote