The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: If you had the option, which of these grills would you use?
Original 66 painted grill 1 20.00%
64-66 C60 painted grill 2 40.00%
an original aluminum grill that needs to be restored 2 40.00%
the repo aluminum grill that is now available 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2021, 10:40 AM   #851
88Stanger

Re: pdx-sanity66

This is and a few others are getting me excited to get back at mine, been a while, life happens..... anyways, thanks for the motivation!! Looking good sir!
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:32 AM   #852
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
Thanks, my friend.
I'm getting ready to put the last coat of high build on the roof today. Everything is set up, I just have to give it one more wipe down with pre-prep and get down to spraying. The roof will be ready for paint prep after this and then get the windshield and rear glass installed FINALLY.
So jealous. I want to be there now, but i have a couple other items i need to get done first. I have a 1969 C10 with an LS i built last couple years and i need to remove the PSI wiring harness and install the new Holly Terminator MAX system i bought first, get that running good then move forward on the 1966. I cannot really complain honestly, this is a good problem to have, but i am jealous of your progress, it is looking great my friend.
Old 10-29-2021, 11:17 PM   #853
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Excited to see the colors soon. Looking great. Prep always sucks but man it's sure worth it. I need to get out and get a bunch or parts cut and buffed for winter. lol
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 10:45 AM   #854
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
So jealous. I want to be there now, but i have a couple other items i need to get done first. I have a 1969 C10 with an LS i built last couple years and i need to remove the PSI wiring harness and install the new Holly Terminator MAX system i bought first, get that running good then move forward on the 1966. I cannot really complain honestly, this is a good problem to have, but i am jealous of your progress, it is looking great my friend.
Good luck on the '69. looking forward to seeing you back working on the '66.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
Excited to see the colors soon. Looking great. Prep always sucks but man it's sure worth it. I need to get out and get a bunch or parts cut and buffed for winter. lol
Your paint work looks great TJ. I agree that good preparation is necessary. I am not going to paint the truck but I am looking for a painter right now. I know very little about putting down color and I've got enough invested in the truck to not risk messing it up.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 02:01 PM   #855
pdxhall

I took a couple of days off on Sanity to do some chores and errands around our place. Sanity is back outside and I'm ready to get back at it. The passenger door is finished as far as I dare go and is back on the truck and aligned pretty well. I need to raise it up about 1/8". The pass. fender is ready to put back on, just waiting for the cowl extension. Both of the cowl extensions, the cowl, and the driver door and fender will get a little more epoxy on some small spots that I got over zealous and sanded to bare metal. They are all in the paint booth and will get sprayed today.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
Old 11-11-2021, 02:49 AM   #856
pdxhall

The body parts are back together for the last time until paint. Both doors, fenders, cowl extensions, and cowl are on and most of the alignments done. I have a few small adjustments to the cowl extensions and the hood still needs some finish sanding and adjustment but it is together. The roof and side panels are ready for paint. The next thing to do is the bed. I need to take care of a couple of small dings in the tailgate.
I also got my bed kit delivered from Mar-K and I just had to open the boxes and take a look at the white oak. I love it. I got Sanity out and cleaned off the dust.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2021, 11:20 PM   #857
cwcarpenter98

It already looks good now, I can't wait to see it in final color

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 05:41 AM   #858
jmarkha1

looking very sharp - nice to get everything lined up and squared away before paint - that light timber will look great in the bed...
Old 11-21-2021, 12:08 PM   #859
The Rocknrod

Yep I like the white oak the best.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:20 AM   #860
88Stanger

Looking Sexy there sir!! I hope to be back on the "66 soon. The "69 is almost wired up and ready to fire up. Then, on to the "66. But damn nice work here sir!
Old 12-05-2021, 08:21 PM   #861
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
It already looks good now, I can't wait to see it in final color
Thanks Christian, I can't wait either. I, at least, need to get the roof painted white and the windshield and rear glass installed, then I can actually drive the truck more than just around the yard and get a front end alignment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkha1 View Post
looking very sharp - nice to get everything lined up and squared away before paint - that light timber will look great in the bed...
Thanks, I would have had a real problem if I didn't. I think the wood will work out nice down here in southern AZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Yep I like the white oak the best.
I wanted something light and I fell in love with it. I hope it all works out. I have very little experience with wood finishing and I'm trying to decide on finish. Any recommendations are welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Looking Sexy there sir!! I hope to be back on the "66 soon. The "69 is almost wired up and ready to fire up. Then, on to the "66. But damn nice work here sir!
I'm looking forward to you getting back on your 66.

I've got the alignment of the doors, cowl, cowl extensions, fenders and hood all aligned pretty good for now and I'm ready to spray some high build in the hood sides and front. I got my seam sealer delivered so I will prepping and spreading seam sealer on the roof channels today.
Then starts the bed wood install so I can measure and mark the holes I need to drill.
Oh, and I have been working on restoring my window crank assemblies. They had a lot of surface rust and some very light pitting on one of them. I soaked them in CLR and water
for about 3 days They came out great. I've got new rollers ordered fir them.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2021, 11:02 PM   #862
cwcarpenter98

On the wood, I made the mistake of not using a good sealer when I put new wood in. After about a year, the color dulled and just overall looked sad compared to what it was when fresh. I finally decided to pull the wood back out, sanded it down, and reapplied the same stain/sealer combo I had used before. The second time around, with about 2 years or so of sun damage, led to the color of the wood being darker. I actually like the darker color in my application. The stain I used was a pecan color.

To finish it off the second time, I used a generous helping of Spar Urethane. That sealed the wood up nicely, and after a year of sitting in GA weather, I haven't noticed any change in the color of the wood

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
Old 12-13-2021, 01:09 PM   #863
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
On the wood, I made the mistake of not using a good sealer when I put new wood in. After about a year, the color dulled and just overall looked sad compared to what it was when fresh. I finally decided to pull the wood back out, sanded it down, and reapplied the same stain/sealer combo I had used before. The second time around, with about 2 years or so of sun damage, led to the color of the wood being darker. I actually like the darker color in my application. The stain I used was a pecan color.

To finish it off the second time, I used a generous helping of Spar Urethane. That sealed the wood up nicely, and after a year of sitting in GA weather, I haven't noticed any change in the color of the wood
I am planning on spar urethane on mine. I've been researching on brands and quality of products but I haven't really decided which one yet. It will be a clear. I want to keep it as naturally colored as possible. I'm hoping this will help with our southern Arizona sun. What brand spar did you use?

Old 12-13-2021, 01:12 PM   #864
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
I am planning on spar urethane on mine. I've been researching on brands and quality of products but I haven't really decided which one yet. It will be a clear. I want to keep it as naturally colored as possible. I'm hoping this will help with our southern Arizona sun. What brand spar did you use?
I don't remember, but I had some leftover. The can is in the basement, so I'll check later today and edit this reply with the answer

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 01-07-2022, 01:34 PM   #865
pdxhall

It's been about 3 weeks since I last posted but things have been moving along. ai have been working on aligning all the gaps to a reasonable point that I know now that it's all working together. A couple of very slight adjustments to the driver door but I just don't want to remove the fender and cowl extension at this point. I have also seam sealed the roof channels which is something I had almost forgot about. My thinking the roof was ready for paint was incorrect. Now it's ready for paint. The hood and cowl were the most difficult to get aligned. The center couple of feet of the hood to cowl was too close when I got everything else aligned. I finally decided that the cowl was twisted and just kind of off. I vaguely remember when I was taking the truck apart that the cowl seemed a little tweaked. I just couldn't get it right, so I took the one off of the C60. It is in very good shape so a last minute change is to get it stripped, primered, and installed. It fits way better than the old one.
I've also been working on the tailgate and getting the bed aligned. I'll try to post a little more frequently and show more of my progress.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2022, 06:07 PM   #866
The Rocknrod

I used Epiphanes (epifanis) on my wood, a Dutch marine finish. It's not cheap and much work. But I expect it will be worth it?
Old 01-08-2022, 12:33 PM   #867
pdxhall

Quote:
I used Epiphanes (epifanis) on my wood, a Dutch marine finish. It's not cheap and much work. But I expect it will be worth it?
I've looked at the Epiphanes and it's on the list. It's great to see someone that has used it. Question: How many coats did you apply and does it change the color of the wood?

I'm going to try and get Sanity cleaned up a bit before proceeding and then it's time to work on the bed and get the holes marked for drilling.

Old 01-08-2022, 01:05 PM   #868
clemdaddy

Looking good. Getting very close now.

I use the Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane mainly because its available at the local hardware store. 6 coats on top 4 on bottom, with 180 sanding in between.
The thing that got the best results was to apply with a foam brush.
clemdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 02:39 PM   #869
The Rocknrod

Quote:
I've looked at the Epiphanes and it's on the list. It's great to see someone that has used it. Question: How many coats did you apply and does it change the color of the wood?

I'm going to try and get Sanity cleaned up a bit before proceeding and then it's time to work on the bed and get the holes marked for drilling.
I think it was eight coats at least. It makes the wood slightly darker. I got the wood from Mar-K though. Cab reflections in this pic.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2022, 01:09 PM   #870
pdxhall

Quote:
I think it was eight coats at least. It makes the wood slightly darker. I got the wood from Mar-K though. Cab reflections in this pic.
Your bed looks fantastic. The min-wax gets pretty high ratings so I might try it. I was thinking about 6-8 coats so that id good to here. I bought the complete bed kit with the optional white oak.

I've been putting off doing some media blasting. I enjoy the blasting, but I hate setting up and cleaning up afterwards. I have a few parts that I accumulated and I'm needing a few of them now. I have the cowl and front grill from my C60 done. Today I hope to finish up the inside door panels and a bit more on the rear inner fenders. I was busy cleaning up last night, so I'll post up some pics later.

Old 01-11-2022, 12:29 PM   #871
pdxhall

Here's the cowl and C60 bumper all clean and pretty. I still can't believe how nice these are. just 2 small dings on the grill. I'm running low on media so I'm going to get some more today. I've got the 2 inner fenders about half done and I haven't started on the 2 inside door panels. I hope to get done shopping and do more blasting this afternoon. The last is my tailgate that I'm working on.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2022, 12:41 PM   #872
pdxhall

I got all of the media blasting done which also includes the inside door panels and the rear wheel tubs. I got all that mess cleaned up and then yesterday I got some epoxy sprayed on everything. I think they all turned out great. The next thing is to install the cowl and the rear wheel tubs. with the wheel tubs done I can start installing the bed wood to mark the holes that need to be drilled. I am also going to start work on adding the "CHEVROLET" to the grill.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2022, 12:49 PM   #873
pdxhall

I have finished prepping the roof for paint and I am looking for somebody locally to paint it. Then I can get the windshield and rear window installed. I really need to get this done so I can drive Sanity and get the front end aligned and test out the mechanicals. I would REALLY like to drive the truck a little before committing to paint the rest of truck. Does anybody know a painter in the Tucson area that I could contact?

Old 01-24-2022, 04:08 PM   #874
The Rocknrod

PM'd you on Tucson painters.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:23 AM   #875
pdxhall

Quote:
PM'd you on Tucson painters.
Thanks for the leads, I'll check them out