The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
yossarian19

Exclamation Another bummed CPP customer

I'll say up front: part of this story is my fault.
I ordered some parts from CPP's site. They wouldn't take my usual shipping address through paypal, only my home address. I called, they wouldn't change the shipping address to my shop. Oh well, whatever, I should have ordered by phone, no big deal.
Got the parts. Wrong parts. Sent hte old ones back, got the correct parts for my LS swap / Auto Trans xmember for 55-59 trucks.

The mount end caps are hella loose / sloppy. Customer service told me they were intended to fit loose but no matter, because once the cross member (tube section) was in between securely mounted end caps, it wouldn't be able to fall out.
Great news - can't fall out. The 3/16" of clearance between tube and mount, though, would make a helluva rattle OR a good sized welding bridge. Admit it, guys - you are selling a cheaply made (or poorly designed) part. Same goes for the length of the center tube & both comments apply to the transmission cross member as well. Their comment? "Hey, thats how it is supposed to fit! Been doing it this way for 20+ years!" If a part is designed for a specific application, 55-59 trucks, and SBC motor mounts, and does not fit in ANY way without additional fabrication to the "finished" part... they've been making a mess of it for 20+ years.
The fit between the cross member and the SBC motor mounts required a hammer & a grinder to make it work. Wouldn't fit otherwise. Garbage.
Last trouble I had was noticing under 2mm of clearance at one corner and 1/2" at another between my LS series engine oil pan and their cross member. Fit is irregular at best. When I asked about it they said "Well, they offset the motors from the factory..." Hey, sure, maybe - but did they specify under 2mm clearance from the cross member? WTF is that?
The SBC to LS adapter plates fit well & came with all required hardware.

Now, to be fair, they did offer to refund me if I could return re sellable parts. I'd already started screwing around with mine and the finish on them was shot the first time I dropped it or first time I used a plastic hammer to massage the fitment. Not sure but either way, not returnable by CPP standards.
So, basically, I won't be buying from CPP or any re-sold CPP parts again if I can help it.
Apologies in advance if I'm being overly harsh... wish I could tell you how many F-bombs and angry comments I've already edited out. I'm just dissatisfied with the products and service.

Last edited by N2TRUX; 03-18-2013 at 10:18 AM.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote