The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
JointTech

Thumbs down Autozone Batteries

battery that came in the truck when i bought it went bad. wouldn't hold a charge. It was a autozone house brand, duralast i think.

I took it to pep boys to have it tested. They said its bad, so not knowing anything about a warranty etc I said how much for a new one. He said man you should just take this to Autozone and they will prorate it out. he could tell by the sticker it wasn't completely out of warranty. I told him I didnt have a receipt and he said i dont know but we dont care about that here. we just look at the sticker.

So I took it to autozone and they tested it again and said its bad and it is under warranty.

Then they asked for the receipt. Which of course i don't have. Then they wanted a phone number, which also didn't match.

They would do nothing and wouldn't discount or prorate a new battery.

I picked up my core and started walking out. They asked what I was going to do.

I said go to a place that has customer service and doesn't harass me about a stupid phone number.

Went to my local parts house, quigleys, and got an Interstate that I can take anywhere in the country and not get harassed.

I also haven't been back to autozone since. In fact I ordered a part from quigleys that autozone had in stock just because they arent getting my money for at least 6 months. I cant say forever because I usually lose all my piss and vinegar after a while and convenience overrides my moral stance
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
ka_jd7and1
is a fungineer

Re: Autozone Batteries

Autozone's parts warranties don't transfer if the vehicle is sold, so you were on the hook for a new battery anyway whether the battery was still in warranty or not.

2003 S10, 2.2 auto- the daily driver, currently with a 2"/2" drop and some minor engine bolt-ons

1978 Impala 2-door, race 350/T350 - the new race car, in progress

1968 Chevy C10 longbed- 3/5 drop, currently undergoing a heart transplant
ka_jd7and1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
kcsa75

Is that kind of stuff typical of Autozone? They just opened a store in "my neighborhood." Been there a couple times for little stuff, but have to say I've not been too impressed.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka_jd7and1 View Post
Autozone's parts warranties don't transfer if the vehicle is sold, so you were on the hook for a new battery anyway whether the battery was still in warranty or not.
Correct, and this is common practice with any box parts store.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
Damon23

Funny, the duralast in the the truck I just bought took a dump. But I have the PO name and phone number. If it does not charge hopefully I'll get lucky.

No great defeat was ever just possible in the beginning.
Damon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
GMtrucknut!!

That is why I avoid big box auto partsO'reilleys,autozone,advanced auto are all large coporations that could care less as long as they sell auto parts. I virtually dropped going in Autozone because of an incident when putting on a charity benefit for a local gear head who was dying from cancer, we went to post flyers and Autozone told us that corporate rules did not allow this. So every individual that was participating in the cruise in,carshow and poker run vowed to never support a business that wouldn't support its customers!
GMtrucknut!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
JointTech

i know its standard practice these days. I worked at what used to be Als auto supply in seattle. But we had the discresion to give the customer something when its obvious nobody is going to get hurt. Dumb business to piss off a customer over what they would have given me with a phone number. Even a token gesture would have been enough.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
GMtrucknut!!

I worked at an independent Carquest store which had an automotive machine shop for a number of years and developed a great relationship with other independent stores so I do tend to sway towards the little guy anyhow!!
GMtrucknut!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
cableguy0

All of the batteries that Autozone and Advance auto sell are absolute garbage. I replace them constantly at work. Most of them have bad cells or shorts inside in under a year. We use Interstates at work. I would buy a battery from walmart way before buying from advance or autozone.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
leddzepp

I have had bad experiences with Autozone (Duralast) batteries as well. Most of the time it has been a short. When that happens, you are dead in the water.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #11
Sillyoldman

Here's a little morsel for those that may not know how to read dates on batteries.
This code tells when the battery was shipped from the factory to the local distributor. The additional digits tell where the battery was made.

On each battery there is a date sticker aka Date Dot. The first digit from the left side is a letter which stands for the month of the year. A = January; B = February; C = March, etc. The second digit from the left is the year that the battery was shipped from the factory. 4 = 2004, 5 = 2005, 6 = 2006, 7 = 2007, 8 = 2008, 9 = 2009, 0 = 2010, 1 = 2011, 2 = 2012, etc. The date dot is applied when shipped not when manufactured. New batteries have a two year shelf life. Be sure to look at the date dots when buying a new battery so you select a fresh one. Also look for dots on top of dots, that means it's been recharged for storage and a new date dot applied over the old one. Each sticker = six months. Removal of the sticker voids the warranty.
Attached Images

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote