The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2014, 06:44 PM   #26
67GMCkid

Re: Car crushing in Montana

Hey old truck man.
Don't misunderstand me on what I posted earlier, I really don't care what you do with your stuff..

I have been doing old cars and parts for better than 30 years and yes I have also done it as a business for the past 15. I know what has worked and what works for me now and in the past but it is an ever changing world and I am always looking for new outlets and ways to market the stuff.

If you are happy with the $650 or so it will bring for scrap by all means go for it but I enjoy stacking my $$ a bit higher.. To me it would be like eating a hamburger when what I really wanted was a big steak...
67GMCkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:15 PM   #27
Old Truck Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67GMCkid View Post
Hey old truck man.
Don't misunderstand me on what I posted earlier, I really don't care what you do with your stuff..

I have been doing old cars and parts for better than 30 years and yes I have also done it as a business for the past 15. I know what has worked and what works for me now and in the past but it is an ever changing world and I am always looking for new outlets and ways to market the stuff.

If you are happy with the $650 or so it will bring for scrap by all means go for it but I enjoy stacking my $$ a bit higher.. To me it would be like eating a hamburger when what I really wanted was a big steak...
I live in a complete different region than you. folks around here don't make big dollars. and fuel & shipping to where their might be a market adds to the cost. The one rule I learned in business is if you can always sell for a profit you will never go broke. Your durn right Ill be happy with the $650 or so it will bring for scrap. Because I can take that money and buy another chev Pk. I just reciently bought a very clean 83 for $525.
Attached Images

Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:39 PM   #28
67GMCkid

without a doubt looks to be a clean one, we don't find them around here in that shape very often.. 2 wheel drives are a tough sale around here, I never understood the mind set that ya need a 4wd 12 months out of the year but that seems to be the thinking around here..

3 months ago I seen a real real nice mid-late 70's 2 wheel drive top of the line model with the 2 tone and all the stainless trim separated of its motor and fed to the crusher.. It was a shame that truck was one owner garage kept fully loaded.. They never even pulled the ralley wheels.
67GMCkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:03 AM   #29
mechanixman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Truck Man View Post
If you click on the link to the home page of old cars weekly. from the post that started this thread. you will see a article about a salvage yard in wisconson that started saving the older cars. there is a 61 olds in much much better shape than my 62. ad it looks 100% complete.
I haven't been to that yard, but there is a yard in wisconsin, about halfway between milwaukee and madison. They don't crush anything, and it's mostly vintage sheet metal. They have cars dating all the way to the 1910's. And it's huge. I spent a day just going up and down the isles taking pictures, and I didn't cover 1/3 of the yard!
If you guys want more info on it, I'll start a thread with pictures. Just let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
When I get the truck on the road again the thing I'd love to hear from some ten year old is "how fast does it go?" That would make my day.
Should of met me 8 years ago.
Have you gotten "how many miles to the gallon?" also?

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #30
studda

Too bad. He said it was $200,000 in his pocket. He could have sold each car for $100 and made $350,000.
studda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:23 AM   #31
mechanixman

Quote:
Originally Posted by studda View Post
Too bad. He said it was $200,000 in his pocket. He could have sold each car for $100 and made $350,000.
Yeah that's the thing that pisses me off. He said that people don't want to pay the prices that these parts/cars are worth, So instead of offering some deal like what studda said, he "sells" the cars to exclusively to the scrapper.

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #32
Malice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Sad, but if the owners do not advertise people will not find them either. If there are indeed two more in the area the word needs to get out.

There is a big yard in Jerome Idaho. The guys goes to all the major swap meets and car shows in the NW to advertise what he has. Fair prices and he is making money. In the 90's when metal prices went thru the roof Jalopy Jungle in Nampa Idaho crushed all their remaining old cars, but most had been pretty picked over and were poor shells and frames.
The junk yard in Gooding is up for sell. Rumor has it he is trying to get rid of all the cars for $300 each. I think he has some pretty cool stuff.
Malice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:09 PM   #33
Old Truck Man

Quote:
Car bodies typically sell for from$200 to $280 per ton. the more you have the higher price paid. Ok a stock complete sixties PK will weigh 4200 pounds . a 55chev car 3000. that's considerable more than $100 each. and try finding 350 buyers who pay cash and do 100% of the work to remove them even at a $100 each.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #34
joedoh

Quote:

Quote:
Freman pointed to the rows of crushed vehicles stacked nearby and responded, “That scrap pile is $200,000 in my pocket.

only that part of the collection was $200k. Before anyone else skims the article and thinks he sold all 3500 cars for $200k.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #35
Old Truck Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
only that part of the collection was $200k. Before anyone else skims the article and thinks he sold all 3500 cars for $200k.
Yes im confident that the guy received at least a million dollars for 3500 cars. if you are old and something isn't in your best interest, cashing it in for good quick dollars is far better than being a denialist thinking there are thousands of viable buyers with cash money. and sometines folks just become jaded by time wasters, lookie loos ,tire kickers , lowballers & thieves. Here is a hint guys go into business to make a profit. they start a business to benefit themselves. preserving or saving something because of the wants & wishes of others is on little value.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:33 PM   #36
studda

Quote:
Here is a hint guys go into business to make a profit. they start a business to benefit themselves. preserving or saving something because of the wants & wishes of others is on little value.
It's just a shame that everyday the world is losing parts of its history that can never be recovered. To me, scrapping an old car is like poaching an elephant or rhino to make a quick buck, even though it is contributing to their demise. Unlike an elephant or rhino though, which can recover to healthy numbers with sound conservation practices, once a car is gone, the total number that can and will ever exist will decrease. This makes them even more expensive to restore, causing more to sit around and rust to the ground and it's a big downward spiral until they are so expensive that the only old cars/trucks left on earth are sitting lifeless in a museum behind a rope just like the extinct dinosaurs. But hey, who cares if we drive everything to extinction as long as somebody made some money off of it, right? By the way, I'm not looking for an argument. This is just me ranting.

Last edited by studda; 05-26-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:49 PM   #37
studda

I just reread my previous post and the first thing that came to my mind was that I sound like a tree hugger trying to save the forests. Does that make me a car hugger?
Old 05-27-2014, 01:07 AM   #38
alaska gasser

Around here, we get a whole $50-$75 per car at the scrapper. The yard I saved my parts trucks and my daughter's '46 International pickup from sold about 300 cars going back into the 40's for that price. The prices on the windshields........were $300-$2,000.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592769 My daughter's '46 International PU
alaska gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:32 AM   #39
Old Truck Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska gasser View Post
Around here, we get a whole $50-$75 per car at the scrapper. The yard I saved my parts trucks and my daughter's '46 International pickup from sold about 300 cars going back into the 40's for that price. The prices on the windshields........were $300-$2,000.
the price varies from place to place and even varies between dealers . If the buyer has a large contract to fill they will likely pay more. The guy I sell to owns a processor and his location is really close to a steel mill that melts scrap. The farther you are away from the end location the higher cost of shipping would dictate a lower price.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #40
alaska gasser

Quote:
the price varies from place to place and even varies between dealers . If the buyer has a large contract to fill they will likely pay more. The guy I sell to owns a processor and his location is really close to a steel mill that melts scrap. The farther you are away from the end location the higher cost of shipping would dictate a lower price.
Which is true, but when I bought the '50 suburban from them for parts, they admitted they usually sell a car for $400-$600 because that is what they get per ton.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592769 My daughter's '46 International PU
alaska gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #41
JaggedEdge

Quote:
I myself am sending lots of old vehicles for scrap. I tried to sell some on EBAY $200 starting bid no reserve. Didn't get one bid. One was a 62 olds complete car. has a 394 rocket engine. only missing one fender script and the horn ring. At 260 dollars per ton the old car will bring in the neighborhood of $750. Why should I waste time with lowballers & tire kickers? My opinion is any potential project vehicle that has a title is worth $1000. cash no guarntees. And no Im not going to let anyone come & pick & choose the best at scrap price. The scrap man pays cash and don't care about anything except what it weighs. The fact is there are not ready willing & able buyers who will pay even what it will scrap for. A person who has a large amount of vehicles cannot make more by parting them out or selling to the general public. The 62 olds 4 dr htp will be recycled in the near future. Ill strip off the copper wiring, radiator,heater core, and desirable parts ect.
I would love to know where you are getting $260 a ton. Around here (western OK) salvage price varies from $100 a ton delivered to the yard, to $160 a ton picked up. The $160 cat is the highest paying around.
Not dissing you, just don't see those prices here. Problem locally is all these goobers watching Fast and Loud thinking their "project" will make me 10 or 12 grand profit if I flip it. So they price the stuff crazy high, and it eventually just sits and rusts away.
JaggedEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #42
Old Truck Man

The local scrap guys around here pay $1.10 per hundred per for car bodys and you can leave the gas tank with a hole in it and 4 tires &wheels. that's what the average joe with one car will receive. mine are prepared gas tank removed tires & wheels removed and I sell a bulk load of three large or 4 small vehicles at a time on my gooseneck trailer. I broker a special deal and deliver When the portable Scrap processor is at the yard. We have two steel mills in the region that make products from scrap steel on is at Blytheville Ar and the other is at Newport Ar. In todays paper Mc Coys Scrap Processing Co. 635 S. 6th street Poplar Bluff Mo. PH 573-785-5725 (not where im currently selling mine) is paying any person off the street $11.00 per hundred for car bodys. For reasons that I have a special deal I cant divulge where I sell to. I don't have to sell and I will stockpile until the price is right and My buyer knows this fact. I don't just take my scrap and say here it is what are you going to pay for it. I actively market and know how much I can deliver.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #43
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaggedEdge View Post
Problem locally is all these goobers watching Fast and Loud thinking their "project" will make me 10 or 12 grand profit if I flip it. So they price the stuff crazy high, and it eventually just sits and rusts away.
Even before the entertaining shows that it was a problem. When I moved into my current home in 1985 there was a good solid 69 Z-28 and a 68 R/T Charger sitting in neighbors back yards (we used to walk a lot back then with the kids). Also about another half dozen other old cars. I respectfully inquired about them on a regular basis, and got the "going to fix it up" song and dance for 25 years watching them rust away. Lady with the Charger died (it was her Viet Nam vet kids) and junior sold it for nothing because the rust was so bad. Z, the same deal, when the guy moved to a new house the body buckled loading it onto the trailer from the cowl and rear window/trunk leaking. I just hopped the DZ block was not frozen beyond repair.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:14 AM   #44
studda

Around here, it's $190 per ton no matter what it is as long as a magnet sticks to it last time I checked. I was so pissed when my brother scrapped my '69 and '72 Pontiac LeMans when I shipped off to the army. They would have made excellent parts cars for my '68 GTO clone I used as a daily driver from 2011-2013. Got any late '60s, early '70s Pontiacs, Old Truck Man? I am in central Missouri.

Last edited by studda; 05-29-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:01 PM   #45
Old Truck Man

Quote:
Around here, it's $190 per ton no matter what it is as long as a magnet sticks to it last time I checked. I was so pissed when my brother scrapped my '69 and '72 Pontiac LeMans when I shipped off to the army. They would have made excellent parts cars for my '68 GTO clone I used as a daily driver from 2011-2013. Got any late '60s, early '70s Pontiacs, Old Truck Man? I am in central Missouri.
About a year ago I sold my last Pontiac. It was a 69 firebird needed a engine & quarter panels I sold it for $2000.00