The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2016, 02:48 PM   #1
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Mechanics tools discussion

So, I've recently developed a bit of a Snap-on obsession. It hasn't cost me the house yet, but it's a fine line a man has to tread...

It got me to wondering what others around here prefer, Snap-on, Craftsman, Mac, Matco...? What do you like and why? Are you brand loyal? Maybe you use one brand of tools, and another brand of storage? Maybe you mix and match as you find bargains? Do you like the newer or the vintage stuff better? Are you a pro, a shade-tree, or somewhere in between?

I don't intend for this to be a thread where we critique other's opinions, but I am interested in hearing some varying thoughts on the matter.

The floor is yours...

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
Willie Makeit

Re: Mechanics tools discussion

I don't get caught up in the name-brand game. I buy the best tool I can afford and it has served me well over the years & that includes everything from flea-market 2nd hand stuff to over-priced / over-hyped truck-brand tools.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:14 PM   #3
Bigdav160

I stop turning wrenches professionally 18 years ago. At the time I preferred Matco tool boxes but ended up with (2)KRL1023 Snap On boxes because the Matco guy wouldn't deal and the Snap On guy needed to deal.

I like Snap On hand tools a lot. Their air tools are fine too but over priced compared to Ingersol.

I have a variety of other brands of professional tools but most of my hand tools are Snap On. Mostly because I had very good dealers not that I'm a crazy fan boy.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:37 PM   #4
clinebarger

If you think Snap-On is expensive, Try buying some Kent Moore specialty tools.....That will put things in perspective!

Most of my hand tools are Snap-On, But I have a little of every brand.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:50 PM   #5
Indian113

I have a Snap On Box but only because the driver was the only one that stopped when I was in the market for more storage. My drawers have a Hodge Pod of tools, Snap On, Craftsman, Matco, Mac and SK Wayne. I only have a few Snap On sockets as most are Craftsman. I couldn't live without my Snap On ratchets and Torque Wrenches . I found out I made as much Money an Hour with Less Expensive Tools as I did with THE High priced Ones.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:50 AM   #6
68shortwide

For me it just depends on the dealer I'm buying from. My tech school is mainly Matco sponsored, so with my student discount and weekly visit from my Matco guy I usually buy from them, but I'm not brand loyal and actually seeking a local SnapOn distributor to see what the student price is for me on a couple LED droplights. My dad's box is a Matco filled with SnapOn, MAC, and Matco. Also a few Cornwell sets he got dirt cheap. I will say I've pulled on my 3/8 ratchet with over 300lbs of force and it didn't skip at all.
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:04 PM   #7
cdowns

I think snap on is a good toll but I've had nuttin but problems with their salesmen they don't want to help you unless you are a guaranteed customer for a coupkle of hundred dollars a month don't help with returns very often// that is why I go craftsman can get a replacement anywhere almost anytime no questions asked anytime and they are more than up to the jobs that I do and attempt
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:23 PM   #8
truckdude239

Mostly snP on my box and 90 percent of the tools are snap on or blue pointt, rest is macto, silver eagle which came from macto and one set of long gear which rantch wrenchs

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:09 AM   #9
rjordan

I have owned my shop 36 years and Snap Combination wrenches are the best in my opinion, but every thing else I buy what I think will do the job. I do have a lot of Cornwell, Matco and Crafstman.
rjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:22 PM   #10
Cape Codder

Been in the business for over 40 years so have most of what I need. I remember my first tool purchase from the Mac guy that worked out of a 64 Chevy 4 dr. Biscayne. I have Snap On boxes bought second hand from a Mac dealer. Tools are a mixture of Snap-On,Mac Matco and Craftsman. Since I have been working alone from my home shop since 2002 I don't get tool trucks coming by and buy what I need from Craftsman these days.
I started doing wood working and boat building as a hobby about 6 years ago and buy most of my woodworking tools second hand from yard sales and ebay. Older is usually better with wood tools unless you go real high end high price stuff that is beyond my skill level anyway.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:53 PM   #11
69chevytrucker

i buy Chicago for air tools
Stanley/mastercraft for sockets and wrenches
dewalt for angle grinders.
bosch for drills
miller for welding
69chevytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:20 PM   #12
canuckian

If we're just talking about mechanic's hand tools, about 80% of mine are Snap On. The rest are a mix of Mac, Matco, Cornwell, SK and various European brands (Hazet, Wera, Knipex). They're housed in a Snap On box, 2 Snap On carts, a Hazet Assistent tool trolley and a Lista bench. I don't wrench for a living however. I guess I'm what one would call a serious hobbyist. I don't do drugs and I don't drink much so my "extra" money gets invested in the shop and my vehicles.
canuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:35 PM   #13
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Interesting perspective. You may have seen my "Alternate Tinkerings" thread on a Proto box I'm trying to flip. It's funny the number of people who turn their nose up because it doesn't say Snap-On or Craftsman. These are much better tools than Craftsman stuff, and the box is the same as a Mac of the same vintage.

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:02 AM   #14
GSP7

plomb, blackhawk, proto

Pinstriping-Lettering-Specialty Painting
GSP7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:42 PM   #15
BossHogg69
motor exploder

I'm not a pro, but I have what I feel is a 'nice' shop at home with a lift and do quite a bit of wrenching. I consider myself a highly committed enthusiast . I get the nicest stuff I can afford. I have quite a few Matco wrenches, ratchets & air tools that I bought 17 years ago when I worked at Firestone while in college, but I have a mix of a few different brands. I have gotten a lot of Sunex hand tools the last couple of years. Their chrome and impact sockets are pretty good, but no so much on the ratchets. I have some Craftsman stuff too that I've had a LONG time that is still holding up. The last few air tools (1/2" impact, 3/8 impact, angle grinder, body saw, DA sander) I've gotten are all Ingersoll Rand, I'm in love with their 'Titanium' line, they are pretty nice and not super expensive. We shall see how long they last.

As for tool boxes, the US General Pro (Harbor Freight) boxes are a great value for serious hobby/light duty use, and that's what I have. I cannot justify spending a few thousand dollars on a box when I could use that to buy more tools. I would almost certainly use a different box if I was a professional mechanic. They are okay, I just don't think they'd last like a Matco or whatever other name brand USA made box would in a heavy duty/every day use environment.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote