The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2016, 10:14 PM   #1
adis

Wire Engine Analizer and Timing Light Together

I've got an old cheapo Sunpro engine analyzer (dell, tach, volts, ohms, etc) and a plain old actron timing light (not advance). they each use an inductive pickup to get an ignition signal. while i was checking the timing on my sbc 400, i put the pickup on the Sunpro too close to the exhaust manifold and it not only melted the plastic clamp, but it also cracked the magnet (or whatever it is that the pickup is made out of. what i'm wondering is if i can take the pickup and power wires from my timing light and swap them into the engine analyzer, then install some kind of plug into the analyzer that I can plug the timing light into? basically use one set of wires for both tools. would this work? would i need to do anything besides solder wires onto contacts? obviously, I'm not an electrical engineer - just a cheapskate who's trying to save a buck. thanks for any ideas. - mark