The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #76
clinebarger

Re: 700R4 build thread.

Install the forward clutch piston (630) into the forward clutch housing (628). If reusing the Aluminum Forward Piston, Install Lip seals first. I do not use TransJel on the outer piston seal, Use ATF, Fit the Forward Piston into the Clutch Housing using you finger nail, Lube the Inner seal with Transjel.

**Note, Only use a 3-4 Apply Ring that has a 7 stamped on it, This is the shortest apply ring allowing the most room for 3-4 clutch stack-up**

Place the 3-4 Apply ring on the bench with "Fingers" up, Place the 3-4 clutch return spring assembly in the middle of the apply ring.

Place the Forward Piston & Housing on top of the return spring, Align the 5 tabs on the Forward piston with the Fingers on the apply ring.
Attached Images

clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #77
clinebarger

Continued....
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #78
clinebarger

Grab the 3-4 Apply Ring by the Fingers, Lower the Assembly down into the Input Drum, The Forward Piston will stop short, The Apply Ring & Return spring will fall to bottom.

Use a Lip Wizard or other Lip Seal tool to fit the Inner Forward Piston Lip Seal onto the Input Drum, The Piston & Housing will drop onto the return spring.

Install Overrun Piston next, If reusing Aluminum piston, Install both Lip Seals.
Lube Inner & Outer Lip Seal with TransJel, Using a Lip seal tool, Fit the Inner seal FIRST!, When the Piston will no longer "Rock" side to side....Fit the Outer Overrun Piston Seal to the Forward Clutch Piston.

Install Overrun Piston Return Spring Assembly on top of Overrun Piston, Compress spring & Install Snap Ring.

A beginner may want to practice a little with the old lip seals/pistons.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2014, 08:48 PM   #79
clinebarger

Overrun Clutch Stack-Up.
Overrun Steel...On top of piston, Align Deep Notches with Forward Piston Tabs.
Overrun Friction
Overrun Steel
Overrun Friction

Post #52 for detail
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Locate Forward Apply Plate, Looks like a Forward Steel but Thicker.
Drop the Apply plate down in the Drum from about 3 inches up.....
You SHOULD hear Metal to Metal contact between the Apply Plate & Forward Piston Tabs, If there is a soft thud, The Overrun clutches are too high...From a piston not seated, Foreign object, ETC.......Fix Now!!
646 in Post #51.

Next is the Forward Clutch Wave Plate, It has a Notch on 1 of tabs for I.D. purposes, I have seen this Plate end up in the Steel/Friction stack a number of times, Install on Apply Plate ONLY.
648 in Post #51.

Install 1 Forward Steel on top of Wave Plate, Do Not go any further at this time!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Install Lube Circuit Seal. Soak the Input Sun Gear Torrington Bearing in ATF, Place in Input Drum "Tangs Down".

Install Forward Sprag Assembly by working the Overrun Clutch Hub into the Overrun Clutches, The Sprag Assembly will bottom out on the Torrington Bearing.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2014, 11:06 PM   #80
clinebarger

Forward Clutch Apply Plate, Wave Plate & 1st Steel Plate installed in Step above.

Forward Friction, Fit to Forward Clutch Hub splines
Forward Steel
Forward Friction
Forward Steel
Forward Friction
Forward Steel
Forward friction
Forward Steel
Forward Friction
Forward Backing Plate

Install Heavy Forward Clutch snap ring. Use a 90 degree Awl & pull up on the snap ring after install to seat the snap ring OR Apply air to the hole between the 2nd & 3rd Sealing Ring on the Input Shaft, This will seat the Forward Clutch.

Check Forward Clutch Clearance, This is a "fairly" forgiving Clutch Pack. Shoot for .050 to .080, Up to .100" is acceptable.

Hold Forward Sprag down with 1 hand, Using a Flat Blade screwdriver or a Modified Trim tool mentioned earlier, Lift-Up then let Down the Forward Backing plate to visually check clearance.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:25 PM   #81
clinebarger

Forward Cutch Clearance....
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2014, 11:04 PM   #82
clinebarger

3-4 Clutch.

I did 2 Mock-up 3-4 stacks for this thread, I don't keep track of the thicknesses of clutches & steels I use because of the on hand selection I have at work.

Use 4L60E Borg Warner Hi-Energy or Raybestos equivalent Frictions ONLY.

This is a '88 Input Drum & (#7) 3-4 Apply Ring, AcDelco 8685044 Apply Plate & AcDelco 24212459 Backing Plate (Top Plate), & a .093" thick Snap Ring.

Stack No. 1, Apply .222", Backing .159", 7 Frictions & 6 Steels.

.222 Apply Plate
.080" Friction
.077" Steel
.080" Friction
.077" Steel
.080" Friction
.077" Steel
.067" Friction
.077" Steel
.067" Friction
.077" Steel
.067" Friction
.077" Steel
.067" Friction
.159" Backing Plate

Stack No. 2, Apply .222", Backing .159", 8 Frictions & 7 Steels.

.222" Apply Plate
.080" Friction
.060" Steel
.080" Friction
.060" Steel
.067" Friction
.060" Steel
.067" Friction
.060" Steel
.067" Friction
.060" Steel
.067" Friction
.060" Steel
.067" Friction
.060" Steel
.067" Friction
.159" Backing Plate
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #83
clinebarger

3-4 Clutch Continued....

Set 3-4 Clutch Clearance at .035" to .045".

After setting Clearance, Remove Snap Ring & Backing Plate.
Install the 5 Load Release Spring assemblies. These keep the Clutch plates from dragging when the 3-4 Clutch is released.

Many builders don't install the release springs, I have never had an issue with using them. There is plenty of info on the subject & a ATSG bulletin saying not to use them. But I have Never traced a 3-4 failure back to the springs
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #84
clinebarger

Flip the Drum over.

Replace the 4 Teflon Sealing Rings on the Input/Turbine shaft.
Use the One Piece Sealing Rings ONLY, Use Scarf cut or Step cut at your own risk!!!!

These are difficult to install without Installer & Resizing tools.
There are several DIY methods on the internet/YouTube, Some pointers....

Do not over stretch the Seals, Just enough to go on without damage.

Do not Under Size them either! Using hose clamps & what not, Just get them small enough to lightly rock the Stator shaft on them.

Install the selective shim & Torrington Bearing on the Input Drum, Slide the Stator Shaft down the Input Shaft to do Final Sizing.

Always resize 1 Sealing ring at a time, Start with the Bottom Ring First!

The Stator Shaft is bolted to the Pump Body, Use Pump Body/Stator Shaft assembly for Final Sizing.....Just to be clear.

Another option is taking the Input Drum to a trans shop for Sealing Ring Install.

1st pic, My install tool.

2nd pic, Found on the internet using a Lip Wizard
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2014, 10:03 PM   #85
clinebarger

Next is the Reverse Input Drum.

If reusing this Drum, Replace Both Bushings!!, You have to "Part" the upper Bushing with a Cape Chisel....Find the parting line in the bushing (Not always easy to find) & Carefully part the Bushing. The other Bushing can be driven out.

Install the inner & outer Lip Seals on the piston, Lube both with TransJel.
Work Inner seal first, Then work the Outer.
Compress Return Spring Assembly, Install Snap ring

**Early 700R4's used a Steel Piston & a Wave Plate instead of a Belleville Plate, DO NOT interchange ANY parts between Early & Late Drums**

Install the Belleville Plate into the Drum (Outer Splined end Down, Contacting the Drum, Inner part of the Plate will face up, Contacting the First Steel.

Install First Steel Plate
Friction
Steel
Friction
Steel
Friction
Steel
Friction
Backing Plate
Install Snap Ring.

Check Clearance of Reverse Input Clutches, .060" to .080" is good, This Clutch is only applied in Reverse.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2014, 11:53 PM   #86
BADAZ chevy guy

Built a stand for working on the transmission.
Attached Images

700R4 build thread. >>> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...36#post6740236
BADAZ chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #87
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADAZ chevy guy View Post
Built a stand for working on the transmission.
Nice!!
Old 08-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #88
clinebarger

Front pump Assembly.

Install Pump Slide & Slide pin. Assemble Pump Cover & Pump Body temporarily. Shake the pump.....You should hear the Slide move in the Pump Pocket.

If the Slide is stuck, Let me know. Do not let this go if stuck, Your trans WILL Die a early death!!

Nevermind the Primer spring & Wiper seals, Install the pump slide & pivot pin only for this test.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #89
clinebarger

Remove Pump Seal, Drive Pump Bushing out from the seal side of the Pump Cover.

Flip the Cover over, Install Pump Bushing from the Pump Pocket side, Coat the outside of the Bushing with Loctite before installation, Install Front Pump Seal, Use Loctite on the outside of the Seal.

Install the pivot pin spring (204) into hole.
Install the O-ring seal (202) and oil seal steel ring (201) into the groove on the back side of the pump slide (203).
Use TransJel to retain the seal and the ring on the slide.
Using TransJel, Install the pump slide seal support (208) and the pump slide wiper seal (209) on the slide.
Install the pump slide (203). **The oil seal ring must face downward into the pump pocket.**
Index the slide pivot notch with the pivot pin notch.
Work the pivot pin (205) between the Slide & Pump.

Install Inner & Outer Primer Springs, Some people use screwdrivers, I Compress the spring in the end of a Vise (with half the diameter sticking out) & knock the spring in with a Hammer Handle while holding the Pump Cover over the exposed part of the spring, Hold the Slide to the Cover while doing this.
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2014, 08:06 PM   #90
clinebarger

Place 1 of the Pump Vane Rings in the Pump Pocket like shown above.
**Note, I Highly recommend Hard Steel Pump Rings in ALL 700R4's. TransGo & SPX make them, Use the stock Cast Rings at your own risk!!**

Stick the Rotor Guide on the back of the Pump Rotor using TransJel.

**Note, I use 10 Vane pump kits on all HP or HD 700R4's, I use 13 Vane Pump Kits on Stock to Mild builds.
10 Vane pumps create more Volume & less prone to breakage with big Boost Valves.
13 Vane pumps are quieter & Even out the pulses in pressure
DO NOT use Early 7 Vane pump rotors!!**

Place Pump Rotor with Guide facing down in the pocket, The Guide will center the Rotor in the Pump.

Install Pump Vanes, I recommend New Vanes, If reusing See Drawing Below for Orientation! The Vanes need to sit between the Slide & Bottom Pump Ring.

Install Top Pump Ring.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #91
BADAZ chevy guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
Parts ordering.

I highly recommend using 4L60E frictions in ALL '87-'93 700R4's, Along with late "E" molded pistons in the Input Drum.
This is an "E" kit with Borg Warner frictions (Hi-Energy 3-4 clutches & 2/4 Band), Raybestos steels, Teflon pump bushing, Case bushing & molded pistons Amazon.com: 4L60E 4L65E 4L60-E Master Overhaul Rebuild Kit w Borg Warner Frictions: Automotive
The Filter & Valve body gaskets WILL NOT work on 700R4's, But at $172 the filter & seal kit are free. And its good for a first timer to have extra seals

700R4 seal kit, TransTec has the Lip Wizard Lip seal tool included.
700R4 Filter, SPX-Filtran
4L60E Overrun return spring assembly, GM part# 4206085, Needed for molded pistons.
Borg Warner 29 element Forward Sprag
Borg Warner Low/Reverse Sprag
Sonnax pinless accumulator pistons (2) http://www.sonnax.com/parts/2520
Sonnax purple accumulator springs (2) http://www.sonnax.com/parts/1660
TransGo SK 700-JR, Their TV kit is top notch. Good accumulator bushing spring selection as well. The rest of the kit does not work well in all transmissions!
TransGo Pump Rings
New pump Vanes
TransGo 700-p separator plate
Sonnax wide sun gear bushing
Sonnax wide Stator bushings
GM 3-4 apply plate, Part# given earlier
Torrington/Koyo bearing kit
Is this a complete rebuild kit? (All the parts listed here come with it.) Or is this a list of parts I'll need to get separately from the kit? I looked over the ad and I don't see any bushings or a sun shell listed with the kit.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #92
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADAZ chevy guy View Post
Is this a complete rebuild kit? (All the parts listed here come with it.) Or is this a list of parts I'll need to get separately from the kit? I looked over the ad and I don't see any bushings or a sun shell listed with the kit.
The rebuild kit Amazon.com: 4L60E 4L65E 4L60-E Master Overhaul... Amazon.com: 4L60E 4L65E 4L60-E Master Overhaul... comes with a Seal kit, All Friction, Steels, 2/4 Band, Pump Bushing & Case Bushing

Then buy a 700R4 seal kit to have 2 of every easily damaged seal, For a first timer it's almost needed in case you damage a sealing ring or lip seal.

Everything else on that list is separate from the rebuild kit.

If you NEED to save some money, Here is a new parts list of the bare minimum.

Rebuild kit Amazon.com: 700R4 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SUPER... Amazon.com: 700R4 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SUPER...Not sure if this kit comes with a Case Bushing??

Things needed on top of the Rebuild kit....
TV correction Kit, Call Bowtie overdrives 760/947-5240, They sell the TransGo TV kit separate.
Borg Warner 29 element Forward Sprag
TransGo Pump Rings
TransGo 700-p separator plate
Sonnax wide sun gear bushing
Sonnax wide Stator bushing
Torrington/Koyo bearing kit
Delco SunShell Amazon.com: ACDelco 24243878 Reaction Sun Gear... Amazon.com: ACDelco 24243878 Reaction Sun Gear...
Old 08-30-2014, 10:16 PM   #93
clinebarger

Lets finish up the pump.

Remove the snap ring holding the TV Boost Valve, Reverse Boost Valve, PR Spring & PR Valve.

Measure the diameter of the TV Boost Valve, .422" is the Minimum Diameter I recommend on a V8 700R4, I prefer a .471" for mild builds, .490" for hotter builds. .500" Boost Valve are available as well. If reusing the stock valve, Check for wear between the Valve & Bushing.

The Low-Reverse Boost Valve is next, If you back heavy trailers or Manual shift a lot, Consider a larger Diameter Reverse Boost Valve. If reusing, Check for wear between Valve & Bushing.

Pressure Regulator Spring (PR Spring) lose tension over so many hundreds of thousands of cycles, REPLACE, TransGo "Green" PR spring is good, Sonnax 77917-08 is good as well.

Pressure Regulator Valve (PR Valve). Grind Land Flush with Spool as shown below, This helps with "PR Buzz" & increases lube flow. If the Valve has 2 Flats machined on the land, This is not 100% necessary, Though I do it anyway.

Clean bore & Line-up & reinstall, The Snap Ring has a rounded side & a Flat side, Install Flat side UP...Away from TV Boost Bushing.
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2014, 07:42 PM   #94
clinebarger

Pump continued....

Locate TCC Apply Valve train (Outlined in Diagram), Remove Snap Ring, Remove Valve Stop, Apply Valve & Springs, Reinsert valve into bore, Check for side play, If present....Install Sonnax 77805-K Valve, The Teflon seal will prevent Cross-Leaks.
If no wear is found, Clean & reinstall Valve train.

Enlarge the hole circled, This will match the drain back hole in the pump cover & help prevent Seal Blow-out as the pump bushing wears.

Stator Shaft Sealing Rings (233 in the diagram), If you have 1 piece Teflon Rings, Check for nicks or damage, If none is found reuse them, If you have Scarf Cut sealing rings, Replace with new Scarf Cut seals.

**Note/Tip, The Teflon 1 piece Stator Sealing Rings Grow when not installed the Trans, Use your old Revere Input Drum to keep them sized until pump install**
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #95
clinebarger

Remove Pump Thimble Filter, Install with new filter & O-ring from the Seal Kit (234 & 235 in Diagram above)

Align the 2 Square shapes circled in the Pic's below. Bolt the 2 Pump Halves together FINGER TIGHT!!
If the Pump to case seal is still intact, Remove it.

**Pump Alignment without a tool**
Install the pump UPSIDE DOWN in the Case.
Start all Pump to Case Bolts.
Torque the Pump Half bolts to 18 ft. lbs.
Remove Pump from Case
Install new Pump to Case Seal.

Finally done with the Pump.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #96
clinebarger

Install the parking pawl bracket (86) & The parking pawl bracket bolts (87), Engage Park, Verify the Output shaft does not turn. (This will aid in Input Drum Install)

1.Install the selective thrust washer (616) on the input housing (621).
2.Install the stator shaft/selective washer bearing assembly (615) on the input
housing (621). The black race on the bearing goes (up) toward the pump.
3.Install the reverse input clutch assembly (605) on the input housing (621).
4.Index the reverse input clutch plates with the input clutch hub. Make
certain all clutch plates are fully engaged.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #97
clinebarger

Make CERTAIN the Input Sun Gear is installed in the Input Planet!!!!

Lower the Input Drum/Reverse Input Drum assembly into the Case, You will need to work the 3-4 Clutches over the Planet Hub.....I use a Big pair of Channel locks on the Turbine Shaft splines to turn the drum.
Try not to put all the weight on the 3-4 clutch drive tabs as you work the Drum down in the Case.

The Drum will fall down a little when all 3-4 clutches are engaged onto the hub, The reverse input drum will sit on the SunShell. If no slack/space between the Input Drum & Reverse Input is present, The 3-4 Clutches ARE NOT fully engaged.....Keep working it!
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2014, 10:48 PM   #98
BADAZ chevy guy

Built a rear clutch spring compressor tool. $13.00 in steel and $3.00 for the bolt and nuts. Still need to weld one of the nuts and ad a handle.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2014, 07:46 PM   #99
clinebarger

2-4 Band Install.

Fit the Opening in the Band over the Case Lug, Tilt the Input Drum a little to make room.
Once the Band is down in the case, Use a 90 degree Awl to line up the Band anchor slot with the hole in the Case, Install Band Anchor Pin, Make sure it seats in the Band.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #100
clinebarger

2-4 Servo Assembly.

I'm going to start with 2nd gear Piston sizes, Identification, And what it means.

In the industry we use the last 3 Digits of the 2nd Piston part number for identification.

554 Piston. Has the Smallest Apply Area, Has the Weakest clamping force on the Band, Used on 4 & 6 cylinder applications. DO NOT USE behind a V8!!!

553 Piston. A little more Apply Area & Band holding power, The most common V8 & 4.3L V6 700R4 2nd piston, Great behind stock to mild engines & people that do not want a Firm 1-2 shift.

159 Piston. Again, More Apply Area. Used in 4L70E's ONLY as far as I know. Really nice 1-2 & 2-3 shifts. If you like cleaner shifts a little Firmer than stock....This is the one.

093 Piston. AKA "Vette Servo Piston", Has the greatest Apply Area, Almost Ridiculous really, The 1-2 will end up Very Firm after the Band seats in.
More of a "patch" for a New Band on an Worn Reverse Input Drum, Does produce the Cleanest 2-3 shift
Attached Images