The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #1
Robert Haas

Simple question:

Is the "Projects and builds" part of this forum a showcase for projects and build on 1960 to 1966 General Motor trucks?

It seems that the most active threads are more like facebook.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:43 PM   #2
roll_the_dice

Re: Simple question:

I don't have facebook or any social media (and I am thankful), but I know what you mean. I try to post updates to my truck and enjoy the forum to learn and hopefully give anything I have learned to someone else...I have unsubscribed to some threads once they start showing bar b ques and the such that is not related to the first drive for the truck I have been working on for 3 years....

I finally learned, I read the threads that interest me and respond when I can...I don't go to threads that should be in a new subforum called "off topic" or something similar.

People come to the board for different reasons...and I can't worry about others...I have a hard enough time taking care of myself.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:47 PM   #3
SkinnyG

I post updates of what I do partly to keep myself motivated and productive - I feel I "owe" it to you, my readership.

Sometimes that may include photos of whatever project I had to do in the mean-time, but for the most part, it is the truck build, and the truck build only. This site is not my "social outlet" so-to-speak.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
Old 09-03-2020, 05:01 PM   #4
cwcarpenter98

Yes, this is the "projects and builds" section. For many people, including myself, who have to go months at a time without being able to work on their truck for various reasons or life circumstances, the build thread on their truck ends up becoming more of a "hey I thought this was something cool and wanted to share it with others" even if it wasn't directly related to the truck. I think that's totally ok if the owner of the truck wants the build thread about their truck to look and end up that way. I also enjoy reading the threads that are strictly about the truck in question and only about the truck in question. Lots of good information and ideas can come from either style of build thread

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
Old 09-03-2020, 09:45 PM   #5
Johns 66

Part of owning, building or modifying our trucks, unless you already know it, is learning whether ideas, knowledge or just meeting good folks. I certainly dont know what I dont know ...but I can tell you that I have met some GREAT folks here...and people, especially good people are way more valuable to me.
Anyways stop by if you like, if not thats cool too.
2019 GMC AT4

Last edited by Johns 66; 09-04-2020 at 06:37 AM.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:48 PM   #6
Mack B

I realize it’s a simple question that I don’t have the authority to answer, but on the description of the forum alone I would say you are correct in its intended purpose.

I have to ask though what’s to gain by asking this in the open forum? Was it to make the people who post such content feel some type of way about it and possibly stop, or funnel people to other build threads that might not have such off topic posts? I can’t see the value in either.

I’ve seen a fair amount of posts from you alluding to this one way or the other, I don’t know man, it just doesn’t seem like healthy behavior. I hope you find piece From all this.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:24 AM   #7
Robert Haas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack B View Post
I realize it’s a simple question that I don’t have the authority to answer, but on the description of the forum alone I would say you are correct in its intended purpose.

I have to ask though what’s to gain by asking this in the open forum? Was it to make the people who post such content feel some type of way about it and possibly stop, or funnel people to other build threads that might not have such off topic posts? I can’t see the value in either.

I’ve seen a fair amount of posts from you alluding to this one way or the other, I don’t know man, it just doesn’t seem like healthy behavior. I hope you find piece From all this.
I asked for the simple reason that If I click on a post in this category I do so because I am truly interested in the persons build. I use this as a resource. Many very talented people are sharing what they are doing on the exact same make and model I am working on.

Yet when I click on a new posts on any given build I am more then likely to see what the person ate for dinner, where he spent the last weekend. How he washed his Honda Civic. Hundreds of these types of responses completely bury any actual resource.

This site has a general/social area to posts. If you are unable to see the difference and continue to defend the the lack of structure then perhaps you are the problem .
Old 09-04-2020, 10:23 AM   #8
LT7A

It's a matter of style. The build threads are not expressly a technical resource. The reader has a choice on what they read. As soon as a thread deviates from what you're interested in leave off of it! Site attendance is down by 60% in the five years that I've been a member. If somebody wants to post a broader range of activities on their build thread, I think it's great. Anything that keeps traffic on the site moving short of posting offensive material is beneficial for all of us in keeping the site alive.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:18 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Haas View Post
I asked for the simple reason that If I click on a post in this category I do so because I am truly interested in the persons build. I use this as a resource. Many very talented people are sharing what they are doing on the exact same make and model I am working on.

Yet when I click on a new posts on any given build I am more then likely to see what the person ate for dinner, where he spent the last weekend. How he washed his Honda Civic. Hundreds of these types of responses completely bury any actual resource.

This site has a general/social area to posts. If you are unable to see the difference and continue to defend the the lack of structure then perhaps you are the problem .
Or.... If a lack of structure on certain threads has you concerned enough to create a thread about it in the Projects/Builds section, you could simply avoid that particular thread.

Some like only technical details.
Some like tech details & lighter social commentary.
Some try way too hard to be 'the funny guy'.

Avoid the ones that don't fit what you like & enjoy the rest.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:28 PM   #10
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Yes, this is the "projects and builds" section. For many people, including myself, who have to go months at a time without being able to work on their truck for various reasons or life circumstances, the build thread on their truck ends up becoming more of a "hey I thought this was something cool and wanted to share it with others" even if it wasn't directly related to the truck. I think that's totally ok if the owner of the truck wants the build thread about their truck to look and end up that way. I also enjoy reading the threads that are strictly about the truck in question and only about the truck in question. Lots of good information and ideas can come from either style of build thread
I agree. It's kind of like a TV or Radio, you have control.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:12 PM   #11
Mack B

Quote:
If you are unable to see the difference and continue to defend the the lack of structure then perhaps you are the problem .
Not once in my post did I defend it, I asked what you hoped to gain.
Here are a few quotes from your build thread, I don't see the difference in posting about ones dinner or whining for attention. Both are off topic.

Quote:
Tough crowd
Quote:
This build seems to get no love here,

Probably shouldn't spend the considerable time needed to post these pictures.
Quote:
Merry Christmas everyone
Quote:
???
Quote:
Yea well this forum does not generate much chatter anyway.

I'll take a while off. Sitting down here and uploading photos is time better spent actually working on Greg's Truck.

I let this thread fall to the bottom of the forum.
Quote:
We are going to take a little detour on the build and do something that might garner a little attention
Quote:
:
Quote:
Geesh
Quote:
Thank you for following our progress.

The lack of interest in our build was surprising. We will post up when we get something done that might interest folks around here.
Quote:
Jim, thank you for showing enough interests in our build to ask a question. It seems the builds side of this forum is mostly a place for folks to blog about their travels and what they cooked for dinner.
Quote:
Not that anyone actually looks at this thread anymore but here is the new.......

I am not really sure this work is interesting enough to gather a following, however I can assure you, I have been watching c 10's getting built all over this country and the level we are shooting for is pretty dang rare. I just do not have the talent to post pictures in a way to generate much interest.

If there is stuff I am doing or have done that would be considered of interest. Please let me know and I will be delighted to expand or even go get photos of that specific detail.
Quote:
41,645 views, that number has not changed for 7 weeks, yet I know it has had a lot of views just in the last 48 hours.

This forum or more accurately the software it runs on is in need of a tune up.

Perhaps the reason we receive so little feedback is the site does not show this thread on everyone's computers.

Or maybe I do not post enough information about my lawnmower or updates on the neighbors cats.
Quote:
I realize that this forum and this tab has less and less to do with actual builds however Greg's 65 is in assembly.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #12
Robert Haas

Quote:
Not once in my post did I defend it, I asked what you hoped to gain.
Here are a few quotes from your build thread, I don't see the difference in posting about ones dinner or whining for attention. Both are off topic.
Well that took some time, glad to see you actually looked at my thread, did you notice it was a BUILD THREAD?

My thread is about a build. I want it to be looked at, but mostly some feedback from people that have already been down the path I am on and could offer some advise, or constructive criticism to aid and assist in what I am doing, that is how a resource like a construction/build section works.

Now have I explained myself?
Old 09-04-2020, 01:52 PM   #13
Mack B

Quote:
Well that took some time, glad to see you actually looked at my thread, did you notice it was a BUILD THREAD?

My thread is about a build. I want it to be looked at, but mostly some feedback from people that have already been down the path I am on and could offer some advise, or constructive criticism to aid and assist in what I am doing, that is how a resource like a construction/build section works.

Now have I explained myself?
I’ve been reading it since the beginning, you seemed surprised? I’m able to weed through the bs to get to what I’m looking for....like a few in this thread have suggested.

Still though, no you didn’t explain how this thread will get the attention you seek. You want the others deleted?
Old 09-04-2020, 02:27 PM   #14
Robert Haas

Quote:
I’ve been reading it since the beginning, you seemed surprised? I’m able to weed through the bs to get to what I’m looking for....like a few in this thread have suggested.

Still though, no you didn’t explain how this thread will get the attention you seek. You want the others deleted?
Attention? is that what I just posted, that I was hoping for input from others that have been where I am heading and can possibly offer advice, you know the thing that like minded people offer to their peers?

I made my point. It ain't about me, or my little build. It is about why forums like this are losing patrons. Moderators and admins could just make gently suggestions to move personal non topic related conversations to the appropriate area. Thus returning a known asset to this site.

out
Old 09-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #15
Mack B

Quote:
Attention? is that what I just posted,
Yes. See:

Quote:
My thread is about a build. I want it to be looked at,
Old 09-04-2020, 03:20 PM   #16
The Rocknrod

Quote:
... Moderators and admins could just make gently suggestions to move personal non topic related conversations to the appropriate area. Thus returning a known asset to this site.

out
See post #10 - as a moderator I am doing just that.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #17
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:

In that same sense, this post should had been posted in site feedback and not clogging this forum.

Resolution: if you all think a post is not proper, use the report a post feature and let the staff take care of it. Posting publicly asking is the exact same thing that is being complained about.

Thanks and have a great weekend all.
Closed Thread