The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2011, 03:14 AM   #1
Valhalla

Project TiC TaC cause it gonna be orange.....

Well I ordered one of everything Nate from Porterbuilt makes, the Accuair system, and 13 inch front and rear brakes all of which is in tomorrow and I will finish the tear down hopefully. only had 3 hours today so got as much done as I could after getting it in the shop.

I have to thank Nate at Porterbuilt for answering my never ending questions and by Good buddy Johnny "Da Finger" Streeter and S.E. Auto Engineering in advance for all the help provided.

I look forward to using you all for help as my project progresses.

Cheap work is never good and good work is never cheap. Lesson = learn to do it all the right way on your own.

SqueegeeMan

Last edited by Valhalla; 06-29-2011 at 03:16 AM. Reason: typo
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
stickelspeed

Re: Project TiC TaC cause it gonna be orange.....

sounds like it's gonna be sweet dude... congrats!!

Here's my Worlds Slowest Dropmember Build and, you can check me out on Instagram as @stickelspeed and @digitalc10
stickelspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:58 AM   #3
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickelspeed View Post
sounds like it's gonna be sweet dude... congrats!!

Looks like a solid start and you have an AWESOME bunch of parts going on it! Very cool!!!
Old 06-30-2011, 05:07 AM   #4
Valhalla

got some more done. didn't get the engine and trans out cause I had to go pick up some goodies from Porterbuilt and hang all the parts from the rafters at my buddies shop so I don't take up too much room.

Cheap work is never good and good work is never cheap. Lesson = learn to do it all the right way on your own.

SqueegeeMan
Old 06-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
offlimts502

How much did that whole kit cost you if you don't mind me asking?
offlimts502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
6772owner
Gearhead

This is going to be awesome, I love seeing all the drop member builds!!

Project C10 (my 72' C10 w/96' LT1, 700R4, bagged F&R, 18's (for now), Short/Fleet) -- SOLD!
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313644
6772owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
butternut1972

Nice Project, I have to keep an eye on this one.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

what color orange ?

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
funkytechmonkey

Looks like the same setup I went with...

Very curious about this.... Are you doing a drop spindle in the front since you are doing the drop member and 13" roters? You went with the mild notch in the back so how do you think it will line up?

I debated over this for WEEKS!... I finally decided to go with the 12" rotors and a factory spindle.

Check out my build if you like... I tried to take detailed pics. TAKE LOTS AND LOTS OF PICS. (and dont forget to post them here)
Boyd Welds Gas tank and mild c-notch.
Click here to view my build
funkytechmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
67cheby
67cheby

Cant wait to see more !!
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #11
Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkytechmonkey View Post
Looks like the same setup I went with...

Very curious about this.... Are you doing a drop spindle in the front since you are doing the drop member and 13" roters? You went with the mild notch in the back so how do you think it will line up?

I debated over this for WEEKS!... I finally decided to go with the 12" rotors and a factory spindle.

Check out my build if you like... I tried to take detailed pics. TAKE LOTS AND LOTS OF PICS. (and dont forget to post them here)
I am doing teh 2.5 drop spindle with 13 inch f/r Mcgaughys kits. I am using Accuair so the level will be set at whatever you want for each of the height presents then aired out will be low. I have a guy making custom inner fenders for me that will be just a hair lower than the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwillie 696969 View Post
what color orange ?
I am doing House of color Ultra Orange with white base so its crazy bright, underneath will be orange duracoat liner to closely match paint.

SqueegeeMan
Old 06-30-2011, 08:43 PM   #12
Valhalla

Foiled again today... I was able to get the drive shaft out, fluids drained, linkage disconnected, headers off, exhaust out, rest of wiring gutted rest of the way, fuel lines out and right as I am moving the cherry picker in place to yank it all out I get the call.. totally forgot I had to appear in court today. Another short day and I wont get to see the truck again till Tuesday.

SqueegeeMan
Old 07-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #13
67cheby
67cheby

cool...had to come back and make sure i had seen it on here after talking to you on FB ...looking good man !!
Old 07-06-2011, 01:00 AM   #14
Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
cool...had to come back and make sure i had seen it on here after talking to you on FB ...looking good man !!
Thanks man hopefully its gonna turn out as good looking as yours is gonna be I got a lot done today.

Engine and trans out
interior completely gutted
all wiring out
steering column out
master cylinder out
all exhaust is out
gas tank out
wiper motor and arms out
heater core/blower assembly out
drive shaft out

If I have time Thursday body off, and frame to the powder coater then next week rebuild rear end, get the wheels and tires then build the chassis.

Project is going way faster than I expected could be rolling by the end of the year as a complete frame off. quickest I have ever done.

SqueegeeMan
Old 07-06-2011, 01:07 AM   #15
VA72C10
VA72C10

Nice progress. So on the frame, are you pre-cutting/drilling and mocking everything up thursday for the Porterbuilt kit too before sending it off to powder? If so, you are moving warp speed!!!
Old 07-06-2011, 01:12 AM   #16
Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Nice progress. So on the frame, are you pre-cutting/drilling and mocking everything up thursday for the Porterbuilt kit too before sending it off to powder? If so, you are moving warp speed!!!

My plan is to remove all cross members clean the area around where the notch will be make the cut and tack weld a small piece back in for stability then send the frame for blasting and powder. The frame should be all mocked and drilled. I am doing the bottom of the body and bed in an orange bedliner to match the Orange paint on the truck, so to set it apart from the orange the frame rails will be a smoke metallic and all porterbuilt parts will be a light silver metallic.
Luckily I have a job that give me 3 full days off a week and I am single without even a dog so I have all the time in the world lol.

Or a my possibly just do it all in a silver metallic. But its definitely going faster than I thought it would.

I am having a blast doing it too. And I cannot wait to order the motor.

SqueegeeMan
Old 07-06-2011, 01:32 AM   #17
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
My plan is to remove all cross members clean the area around where the notch will be make the cut and tack weld a small piece back in for stability then send the frame for blasting and powder. The frame should be all mocked and drilled. I am doing the bottom of the body and bed in an orange bedliner to match the Orange paint on the truck, so to set it apart from the orange the frame rails will be a smoke metallic and all porterbuilt parts will be a light silver metallic.
Luckily I have a job that give me 3 full days off a week and I am single without even a dog so I have all the time in the world lol.

Or a my possibly just do it all in a silver metallic. But its definitely going faster than I thought it would.

I am having a blast doing it too. And I cannot wait to order the motor.
I really like the plan for the orange with the color coded liner and the smoke metallic frame with silver parts. Should be sweet.

My reason for asking about the frame is working with powdercoated parts is hard/impossible to touch up as I'm sure you know. Not sure how that brace at the rear notch would work w/out causing issues with the powder taking it off....

And normally on the dropmembers...there is a small notch needed in the front for the steering rack....I know you're not doing a huge step notch in the rear but not sure if the frame still needs to be notched and welded in the front for the steering rack to fit....

Just don't want to see you have to ruin a nicely coated frame

I'd get the notch completed in the front and the rear notch done and bolted or welded in (depending on how you're doing it) then take it all off but the notches during transport and let the shop take those off right when they shoot it with powder and bake it. Then they can bolt them back on for the transport back for strength....

My 2+ cents
Old 07-06-2011, 01:38 AM   #18
Valhalla

True. I have thought about it but the bolt in notch will cover the small tach weld that I am planning on doing so it will not even show the front i went with the medium dropmemeber so I don't need to notch the frame. this one is not gonna be a frame layer, the next one is.

SqueegeeMan
Old 07-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #19
67cheby
67cheby

great progress man !!
Old 07-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #20
funkytechmonkey

Valhalla....I am a first time builder. And like I said before I have the exact same suspension setup you have. I chose not ti powder coat my fame and I was the beat decision I made in my truck. You will destroy that frame while installing all the suspension. You would not believe how many times I have had to touch up my frame. But I am super anal about my truck. My father in-law was helping me one day and hit my newly powdercoated trailing arms. He is now banned from my garage. Anyway... you will bang that frame up good putting crossmembers in, taking them out, adjusting... knocking it with a hammer..cutting...I strongly recommend painting it...unless...you have done all of your homework and mocked up every single thing including break and gas lines, gas tank and completely put everything together first THEN taking it back apart and sending it off to powdercoat.

If you have any questions feel free to hit me up any time. I swear I put all that suspension on 4 times. I ran into problem after problem... from cutting one of the mild notches 1/2" too short, the frame rails being 1/2" too wide and having to take the old rear xmembers and replacing with the pb tubular ones, and even forgetting to mount the shock mounts for the front remember I am a rookie. Another thing I have to do now is drill the holes for the rear mount fuel cel and the clips for fuel and break lines.
Posted via Mobile Device
Boyd Welds Gas tank and mild c-notch.
Click here to view my build
funkytechmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:03 AM   #21
Valhalla

Yeah it will be all mocked up first and the frame will be completely dis assembled first so the frame rails will be apart that way i will bolt one side of the cross members in then the other which is how my buddy who has installed a few setups like this said to do it that way you avoid having to bang the cross members in at an angle.

I had though of using por15 but not sold on that stuff.

SqueegeeMan
Old 07-17-2011, 05:15 AM   #22
Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
I really like the plan for the orange with the color coded liner and the smoke metallic frame with silver parts. Should be sweet.

My reason for asking about the frame is working with powdercoated parts is hard/impossible to touch up as I'm sure you know. Not sure how that brace at the rear notch would work w/out causing issues with the powder taking it off....

And normally on the dropmembers...there is a small notch needed in the front for the steering rack....I know you're not doing a huge step notch in the rear but not sure if the frame still needs to be notched and welded in the front for the steering rack to fit....

Just don't want to see you have to ruin a nicely coated frame

I'd get the notch completed in the front and the rear notch done and bolted or welded in (depending on how you're doing it) then take it all off but the notches during transport and let the shop take those off right when they shoot it with powder and bake it. Then they can bolt them back on for the transport back for strength....

My 2+ cents

True. I decided to bolt in the notches that way the whole frame rail will be the same color and then all the crossmembers and other parts will be metallic silver. we are taking all kings of steps to make sure not scratching takes place. I have done a few frames before just never with dropmembers.

I am even mocking the x-members and ensuring there is space for the addition of powder to the part to ensure room for them to fit in the rails. I have an insane hook up on powedercoating so worst case I'll blast it and have my buddy do a nice custom paint job if I don't like it.

All the input is awesome though.... all you guys thinking for me will help me avoid something stupid I am sure. lol

SqueegeeMan
Old 07-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #23
offlimts502

Who do use as a powedercoater? I live pretty close to you and I'm currently looking for the same project myself. Thanks
offlimts502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #24
Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by offlimts502 View Post
Who do use as a powedercoater? I live pretty close to you and I'm currently looking for the same project myself. Thanks

Precision powdercoating will be doing this for me.

SqueegeeMan
Old 07-21-2011, 04:21 AM   #25
Valhalla

Finally get to pull the bed and cab off tomorrow and get the frame tore down and hopefully get it to the powder coater.

SqueegeeMan