The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2016, 09:23 PM   #26
snipescastle2

Talking Re: >>> new pump not working no suction <<< please read

120 psi??? Holy crap! You're lucky that tank didn't blow apart at the seams!!!
5 to 15 psi should have been more than adequate.that could have been disasterous!!! Glad you came out of that ok.
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:10 PM   #27
midniteblues

Re: >>> new pump not working no suction <<< please read

Glad it worked for ya.
I'm sure your tank blew up like a balloon if you did do 120.

Be sure too check you tank seam for leaks then.

And it does work in reverse too. Although I wouldn't do it with a full tank. This will be sure you don't have a plugged sock on the end of the sender. But ya might blow it off or out with 120

Like I said should be a sticky....but nobody reads them anyway.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:43 AM   #28
Pick121

Re: >>> new pump not working no suction <<< please read

Wow am I glad I came across this thread! Midniteblues I owe you a beer and you have my vote for a sticky.
Here is what happened: One day, I stopped getting fuel through my see thru fuel filter up before carb. Checked all the cheap fixes first: check fuel tank pickup line, filter sock, debris in tank that might stir up when I drive, blew out line to carb/check screen filter to carb, blew out lines between fuel tank and carb to make sure no obstructions or kinked lines - all good. I suspected fuel pump (after confirming I had fuel in the tank! - fuel gauge doesn’t work). Put a crowbar in the wallet and got a new fuel pump (mechanical) replaced fuel pump using the trick of taking out short bolt towards front of engine block and temporarily using longer fuel pump bolt to hold the fuel pump rod up. Replaced everything and fire him up, no fuel. Tried this a few (too many) times until I thought I might kill the battery. No prime. Now I am thinking either I got another bad fuel pump (doubtful) or the fuel pump rod is out of place and I am gonna have to disassemble the darn thing…and then I found you my sweet little thread! Took fuel hose off fuel pump intake and inserted into a tall gas can under truck in the space between fan and crank pulley. Blew air from compressor into tank with my hand over filler hole (regulator set at 30psi) and damn it seems like air is leaking out past my hand, not enough pressure to do anything, nothing happening. But when I go check the fuel line, sure enough fuel is pouring out through the hose! Hook it up to the fuel pump and voila, after 3 tries ol’ George fires up and runs again! Really happy as it has been at least 2 months not running. BTW this is for a 350 Chevy V8 crate motor in my 1964 C10, fuel tank behind the seat
Pick121 is offline   Reply With Quote