The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
ashx2

Question Frame Swap -'72 1/2 ton to a '90/'91 3/4 ton....

I'm sure someone on here has swapped to a newer frame from the original frame. My question is as to how much of a hassel it was after it was all said and done. With my daughter about to graduate and go off to college, I'm starting to get the itch to start working on my '72 Super Cheyenne.

I have a '90/'91 truck that belonged to my father and have been really pondering the swap. I'm sure there will be some relocation of various items here/there, but would like to hear some input as to what others have experienced.

Thanks in advance folks!

Greg
ashx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Frame Swap -'72 1/2 ton to a '90/'91 3/4 ton....

Greg not one of the mounting points would be usable all mounts would have to be fabbed up and the cost and the time involved in doing a swap like this just may not be worth the time investment. The 72 you have with the proper rebuilt suspension and properly tuned components could make the truck handle much as a new one will. If you are wanting more modern stuff such as rack and pinion steering and 4 wheel disc brakes all of that stuff can be fitted to the frame you have now. I may have missed the point of your post ,if I did I am sorry Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
ashx2

Jim, you're not missing the point at all and I appreciate your comments. I work at a place that builds the Rolls Royce of crop dusting airplanes, and I have a buddy that is a welder there that also builds race cars. So, that being said.......I'll be pulling in all my buddy favors when I get ready to strip the '72 and start doing it the way I want.

I have never liked the low stance of the two frame members to the rear by the axel. Not sure what they are called, but they kinda make a "V" shape so to speak. The ground clearance on my truck just really stinks. I don't plan on babying this truck once it's done and it will be driven to go on various hunts as well as parades and local car/truck shows. I have an '03 Chevy and don't plan on ever owning another "new" truck.

I have a love of these 67-72 body styles and just as soon drive one of them as a new one. It'd just be nice to have some of the more modern "behind the scenes" type things in place of the old stuff.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #4
cool68

so, have you done any measuring to see if newer frame will fit under older body? hope that you have a friend that is real good at wiring to transfer all of the electronics needed to make everything work properly.
cool68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
cleanfreak

There is a member on here , from Ontario , Canada , with a gmc dually extended cab on a 88-98 style frame , the cab mounts landed on the top of the rails , not off to the side. I've looked under his , it looked pretty straight forward. Won't work if your lowering but this guy has been driving the wheels off his for years with no problems - Just another 2 cents worth - Bob
cleanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:17 AM   #6
ashx2

thanks Bob, that's at least a little comforting to hear.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #7
cleanfreak

I did a little searching , his tag on here is 68gmcdually , I don't know how to attach links , but there is a build thread. Have never contacted him online , but talked to him at a swap meet. you might want to get a hold of him , he might have some knowledge for you - Bob
cleanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote