The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2022, 06:04 PM   #51
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Re: Monitor Barn Garage Design

Good deal and thank you. Just had some additional concrete poured and hope the have the overhead doors installed this week. Still on track for the additional dirt work and asphalt driveway before snow falls.
Attached Images

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 05:32 PM   #52
scottofksu

Thank YOU, and thanks for the updated pics! You really are building a garagemahal. LOL
Such a beautiful and functional space! Do you intend to build the upper floor across the entire structure or just in parts?
Old 09-13-2022, 06:54 AM   #53
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Thanks again for the good words. The upper level mezzanine could be extended forward. Leaving it as is for the time being - the open space could accommodate a lift or an RV. The stairs will be placed shortly.
Attached Images

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 11:57 AM   #54
dsraven

ideas I like
-large conduit, or several conduits, run for future upgrades. you never know if you wanna change your mind on the water install or whatever
-tall garage doors. 10 ft if you can. dont build for what you currently have, build for future considerations and resale value
-windows high on garage doors let light in but nobody can see in without a ladder
-bring in the largest electrical service you can and install a large panel. that way you can run lots of circuits and support a large compressor and welder etc.
-wire the plugs like a kitchen with 2 circuits per plug. that way you can run a couple of high draw tools off the same plug without blowing a breaker
-install the plug boxes a few inches above the 4 ft mark. that way you can have something on the floor and still be able to use the plugs, like a sheet of plywood or steel could be leaning against the wall and not be in the way
-run a couple of 20 amp circuits, like one on each wall, so you can run a high amp tool in different spots, like a table saw
-install a couple of plugs in the cieling for future cord reels. possibly a circuit for cieling fans as well
-wire the lights on seperate switches so you can turn on only what you need
-wire a 220 plug in a couple different spots in case you need a welder in different locations. sometimes you need/want to change your workbench location and it is handy to have the welder plug closeby. or you need a 220 plug for something else and a welder at the same time
install a switch to shut off power to your door openers in some ocscure place so when you go on holidays etc it would be harder for someone to find the power switch. yeah, I know, they could just pull the cord and open the door manually, its just one thing you can easily do
-will you finish the walls inside? if so, what do you plan to use? my shop is 2x6 construction with fiberglass insulation and drywall. the walls are 10 ft so sheeted drywall from the cieling down to the 18inch above the floor and then at the bottom of each wall it is sheeted with treated plywood in the case that there is water on the floor the drywall will not be able to wick it up and start rot. there is a short stub of a concrete wall as well so that protrudes past the wall thickness. where the wall butts against this there is also a treated wood part that is cut on an angle so any water that hits the plywood section will want to run off onto the floor since there is no sill to sit on. this is all sealed with sica concrete sealer caulking. then, in the workbench area, I have sheeted over the drywall with galvanised roofing/siding material sourced from the local farm supply. that way it is easy to clean with a pressure washer if needed and also welding and grinding at the workbench doesn't affect the painted walls with hot sparks buring into the paint or discoloring the paint. anything leaned or dropped against the wall also doesn't dent the drywall. it also helps with the fire hazard when cutting, grinding, welding etc. the panels do come in color if you go that way. I plan to sheet the side walls as well
I have a long length of exhaust flexible hose, some sort of rubber, that I simply slip under a partially opened door. I had plans on installing an outlet in the wall between the 2 big doors but the framer helping me at the time made a mistake and filled that spot with 2x6's. I'm kinda happy it isn't there now actually. it gets -30 here in the winter so any spot like that becomes a cold spot and also a spot where bugs/rodents want to come in through
-if you plan to heat the building ensure to wire for a thermostat and consider where that should be. also a switch to turn it off completely placed somewhere convenient
-if you use air tools a lot, like myself, you will appreciate lots of outlets. especially around the workbench area. I have several hose reels, 2 on the front wall and one on each side wall as well as one in the middle of the 2 bays. an outlet between the bay doors also gets used periodically outside.
-an outside plug on each wall, as well as outside lightimg on each wall, is also something I use periodically
-an RV plug on one outside wall also gets used periodically
-a good sized apron outside the garage doors is a great idea, for me anyway. sometimes you just wanna jack something up outside the door and not bring the vehicle inside. a hard surface for the jack or creeper is a welcomed thing
-a garage door operator button inside each door is also something I use all the time. a pushbutton code pad on the outside also gets used all the time, not just by myself. sometimes a friend needs access when I am not home and doesn't have a key
-its great to run wiring etc in the wall above or below where you may need to run screws in for shelves etc. of course you will use those metal things on the studs so you couldn't screw through them into the wiring, but that means there would be a screw hole in the wall finish anyway
-some bracing in the wall where shelves may be placed is great to have so you have some good strength where loads may be placed. a pic of everything before insulation and inside sheeting goes on is a great idea. assuming you are sheeting the inside

these are all things that just came to mind as I plunked away. sorry for the mumbo-jumbo thought process
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 11:58 AM   #55
dsraven

wow, that looks great. I didn't realise you are this far along, some of my previous post is irrelevant now. maybe help someone else though.
Old 10-24-2022, 10:49 PM   #56
dsraven

dunno why, but I seem to have missed a few pages in between checking and writing a response. the shop looks really nice. keep posting up progress pics as you can.