The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2022, 01:19 AM   #1
Chevy nutcase

Electrical questions

I recently noticed the temp gauge on my 66 c10 never even wiggles so I'm wondering if its the gauge itself or the sensor out on the water neck and how I can go about testing the two components?

My other inquiry is concerning my recent upgrade to front disk brakes. The proportioning valve has a sensor and wired plug included which I'm guessing is for a warning light. Do these trucks have a dash light for when the ebrake is pulled and could I connect the sensor on the proportioning valve to it so I could be made aware of a problem?.
Chevy nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 11:27 AM   #2
jocko

Re: Electrical questions

The prop valve electrical connection is for a warning light that would indicate a single brake circuit failure/leak.
This era of truck doesn’t have an indicator on the dash for that because they came with single circuit braking systems. This era of trucks also doesn’t have an indicator for the parking/emerg brake. If you wanted the warning light, you could adopt the process below to create a dash warning light (I used the tandem lock dash slot for a parking brake indicator, but you could use it for a warning light as well - or do both, there are 2 unused dash slots that are present in light duty trucks that are utilized in medium duty trucks).
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=419932
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 01:57 PM   #3
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
The prop valve electrical connection is for a warning light that would indicate a single brake circuit failure/leak.
This era of truck doesn’t have an indicator on the dash for that because they came with single circuit braking systems. This era of trucks also doesn’t have an indicator for the parking/emerg brake. If you wanted the warning light, you could adopt the process below to create a dash warning light (I used the tandem lock dash slot for a parking brake indicator, but you could use it for a warning light as well - or do both, there are 2 unused dash slots that are present in light duty trucks that are utilized in medium duty trucks).
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=419932
I figured my truck never had a warning system with the single reservoir because a leak would be immediately apparent due to the complete inability to stop. I'll definitely look into utilizing one of the unused spots on my dash. Thank so much
Old 11-24-2022, 06:25 PM   #4
PGSigns

To test the gauge just ground the wire on the sensor. With the key on it should read full hot.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 11:17 PM   #5
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
To test the gauge just ground the wire on the sensor. With the key on it should read full hot.
Jimmy
Grounded the lead going to the sensor and it pegged the temp gauge which is good knowing the gauge works and the sensor will be much easier to change. Thank you for an easy diagnosis
Old 11-25-2022, 10:25 AM   #6
The Rocknrod

Make sure you get a proper sending unit for your year vehicle gauges. Not all are the same or correct.
https://www.lectriclimited.com/catal.../category/867/
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 11:48 AM   #7
Chevy nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Make sure you get a proper sending unit for your year vehicle gauges. Not all are the same or correct.
https://www.lectriclimited.com/catal.../category/867/
Looks like you found the one I need. thank you