The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2022, 07:54 AM   #51
joesscamaro

Re: '64 C-10 Stalled Project Rescue

I'm sure you can't wait to get it back from the exhaust shop. Any idea on the wheel/tire setup you're going to go with?
joesscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 05:05 PM   #52
Arne

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesscamaro View Post
Any idea on the wheel/tire setup you're going to go with?
The current mags are 15x10 full reverse offset, with 20 year old 275/60R15 tires. The replacement tires are the same size, but will be on 15x8 standard offset steelies painted creamy white to match the roof color with chrome hub caps. The combination of 2" narrower and the offset change will tuck the tires in a full 2ス" from where they are now.

覧覧覧覧覧覧
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 11:36 PM   #53
Arne

I got the call that the exhaust is done at about 4:40 this afternoon. But since I live 30 minutes away from the shop, I won't be picking it up until tomorrow morning. Drat!

Next will be a visit to DMV for a VIN inspection, title transfer and classic/collector vehicle registration.

覧覧覧覧覧覧
Old 11-30-2022, 04:39 PM   #54
Arne

Picked it up this morning, in a pouring rain. The exhaust is good, nice sound but not too loud. Stainless tips exiting behind each rear wheel look proper.

As for the drive home, it was mostly all good. This is the first time I've driven the truck more than a time or two around the block. The odometer (which works!) registered 17 miles for the trip home. The single speed wipers work surprisingly well. While the heater fan is DOA, the heater itself delivered heat while driving home. The non-boosted brakes work well, albeit needing a lot of leg, so adding a booster will stay on my list. The A833 3+OD manual transmission is a pretty interesting choice. It looks and shifts like a car-type Muncie, but drives (and sounds) like a wide ratio truck transmission (which is what it is, to be fair). The overdrive 4th gear is pretty much useless below 45-50, but should make for relaxed highway driving.

Of course, "mostly all good" is not the same as "all good". I fully expected to find areas that are lacking. But there are really only 3 of note. First, the fuel gauge (that I had tested early in the rewiring) doesn't do anything. Second, the 20 year-old tires have rubber that's about as hard as a bowling ball. Last, and most important, the steering is horrible—very heavy, and sloppy as all get out. Several inches of play at the wheel. The steering box must be totally worn out.

The tires and steering are already on the priority list - the new tires are here and are just waiting for me to get the new wheels. The power rack & pinion set up has been ordered, and should be here by the end of the year.

And I'll take another look at the fuel gauge either later today or tomorrow.

覧覧覧覧覧覧

Last edited by Arne; 11-30-2022 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2022, 07:40 PM   #55
cwcarpenter98

If the sending unit tested to work out ok while out of the tank, I'd put money on your float being full of gas

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 08:28 PM   #56
Arne

It was in the tank when I tested it after the new wiring. I added a couple gallons of gas and it moved up as one would expect. But now it reads empty, even though I added 12 gallons of gas today. I went out and put the meter on it just now, it shows an open circuit. So I think it just decided that it was a Klingon and today WAS a good day to die.

I've added a new sender to my wishlists...

覧覧覧覧覧覧
Old 11-30-2022, 08:39 PM   #57
jkeating1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne View Post
".....The power rack & pinion set up has been ordered, and should be here by the end of the year."
I saw in post 45 that you are going with a POL rack and pinion, but is it a kit that attaches to the factory crossmember?
Old 11-30-2022, 08:51 PM   #58
Arne

I'm told it bolts to the frame on both sides. No drilling needed. Attaches to the factory steering box holes on the left and the idler arm holes on the right.

覧覧覧覧覧覧

Last edited by Arne; Yesterday at 01:05 PM.
Old Today, 09:11 PM   #59
Arne

Made to DMV this afternoon, after waiting until the snow and ice from the last couple days melted off. And the truck is now legal.

Name:  IMG_4431.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  26.8 KB

Also finally ordered the new wheels, electric choke kit, new fuel sender and a shift boot late today. All items are supposed to be in stock, so should arrive in the next week or so. I've got to start looking at off-white paint for the wheels soon.

覧覧覧覧覧覧