The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2022, 09:01 AM   #26
72c20customcamper

Re: YOM tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Been on the truck 54 years, no YOM nonsense just continued registration since day 1.
I think Delaware is the same way I see alot of old plates on cars . Even on fairly new ones
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 10:23 AM   #27
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Been on the truck 54 years, no YOM nonsense just continued registration since day 1.
One thing that kinda bummed me out about moving was having to take off my original black plates. Now they hang on the garage wall. That may give you pause... move to the location of the cactus scene in your avatar you will not be able to run your black plates.
Old 07-29-2022, 11:58 AM   #28
67 twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
You have to keep a log? You have a maximum number of miles per year you can drive? I wouldn't bother with historic plates either. It's not like that here and use is not clearly defined. They give car shows and parades as examples of proper use, but not limited to. The only specific no-nos are commercial use, drive to work, drive to school, regular use to transport passengers, and the rest is covered by not regular use. Mine sits all winter and it's not my daily driver.
Yep that's why all of ours just have normal registration
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 01:32 PM   #29
chevmn

Quote:
You have to keep a log? You have a maximum number of miles per year you can drive? I wouldn't bother with historic plates either. It's not like that here and use is not clearly defined. They give car shows and parades as examples of proper use, but not limited to. The only specific no-nos are commercial use, drive to work, drive to school, regular use to transport passengers, and the rest is covered by not regular use. Mine sits all winter and it's not my daily driver.
I know the historic plates are not for everyone, but sure is less hassle for a couple I have...... no yearly inspection, and no renewal, and I do not bother with the logs, and I know no one that does. Even under the slim chance I get a ticket for lack of log (never heard of it yet), it is very likely the fine is less than the renewals and inspections for regular plates. I do have the (blank) log sheet in the glovebox, and keep insurance on them. Just plain less hassle and expense for vehicles that are driven less than 1,000 miles a year at best.
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 05:04 PM   #30
72afr
Beep! Beep!

Went through the MO process last year on my refresh. Figured I've put about 4k total miles on it over the last 20 years of ownership, it's unlikely I'll put over 1k on it in a year... Found a couple sets on ebay, but they've yellow'd a fuzz. I'll have to look into repainting them. I've got a log book...in the glove box...still plastic wrapped...
Attached Images

2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon (the wife's baby hauler)
72afr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 05:25 PM   #31
chevmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72afr View Post
Went through the MO process last year on my refresh. Figured I've put about 4k total miles on it over the last 20 years of ownership, it's unlikely I'll put over 1k on it in a year... Found a couple sets on ebay, but they've yellow'd a fuzz. I'll have to look into repainting them. I've got a log book...in the glove box...still plastic wrapped...
Same on the yellowing....I have one set of passenger plates as well, and I am considering repainting the white, then lettering with a blue to match the bowtie. One of our trucks has one single truck plate (rear). The MO truck plates in 72 are sort of orange and I believe green lettering. If memory serves 72 was first year for front plates in MO on trucks, but not many know that fact, so I run one rear plate, and one of the "Putting you first in a big way" plates on the front.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:37 PM   #32
72afr
Beep! Beep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevmn View Post
Same on the yellowing....I have one set of passenger plates as well, and I am considering repainting the white, then lettering with a blue to match the bowtie. One of our trucks has one single truck plate (rear). The MO truck plates in 72 are sort of orange and I believe green lettering. If memory serves 72 was first year for front plates in MO on trucks, but not many know that fact, so I run one rear plate, and one of the "Putting you first in a big way" plates on the front.
Yep! Back when I was putting this truck together, I was gifted a '72 Truck plate that I still have. They are indeed orange and green and single plate only. I much prefer the blue/white combo for my setup. Never thought about running only one plate, although I'd rather run two plates than leave the holes in the front bumper.
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon (the wife's baby hauler)
72afr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 11:37 PM   #33
70c10-08

Cool Re: YOM tags

In the state of Nebraska if you want to apply to have your vintage license plates for your truck registered you have to send the Nebraska DMV your plate in the mail and complete a form. Then, the DMV in Lincoln has to inspect your license plate if it is approved they then will send your plate back to you and you can apply it on your vehicle but, you can only use your vehicle sparingly like for test drives or parades. But, getting in your truck and driving 2 hours on a two-lane Highway because you want to, you can't do that in Nebraska but, there's nothing saying that you can't mount your license plate to your truck and register your truck as a commercial vehicle.
With that being said, how many people actually have their County specific vintage license plate? I happen to live in Fillmore County Nebraska which had the 34th highest population of cars in Nebraska as of 1922 when they made the number system for Nebraska license plates. And this is the plate that is going on the rear bumper of my truck.
Attached Images

70c10-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 12:50 AM   #34
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
One thing that kinda bummed me out about moving was having to take off my original black plates. Now they hang on the garage wall. That may give you pause... move to the location of the cactus scene in your avatar you will not be able to run your black plates.
When I registered my'68 Stepside in Arizona in 1973, they made me turn in my Black/Gold Cal plates [10 566 A]. The military required me to have a Driver's License and Vehicle plates from the state of my official ''home.''
My parents had moved to Tucson, and that was where I kept my stuff, so I had to ''virtually move.''
That was if I wanted to keep my POV and drive on base.

When I bought the '71 Jimmy off an Ex-Angelino, I only gave the ADOT/MVD one of the Blue/Yellow plates. I said the PO ''lost it.''
I hang it in my shop.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 03:31 AM   #35
bwl101

Have them in SC, was recently added as an option. Used to only be an Antique Tag, but if you used it, it could only be for parades or car shows or something of the like. Technically you weren't supposed to use that tag on a vehicle you regularly drove around like to work or anything. Available to use for vehicles 30 years old and older. Acquire your tag yourself and there is a phone number you can call to verify the number sequence is available before you buy the tag from someone if that was your plan. If it is available, they will hold that sequence for you for 30 days to get all the paperwork together. There is a form and you have to submit a color copy of the tag and they have to verify everything is correct and the correct color as many of the older tags changed color from year to year. Once it is approved, DMV sends a letter and the new registration. You don't have to put the new decal on the tag, it just has to be kept with the registration in the vehicle at all times. I was glad I was able to do this for my truck. People always ask, when will you get a real tag for the truck?
Attached Images

Putting my Grandfather's truck back on the road:
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=829659
bwl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:47 AM   #36
KW5413

I am not sure, but I believe altering the color(s) of the original plate would get a denial in many states.
KW5413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 11:30 AM   #37
72c20customcamper

None of my cars/trucks are registered as historic I put 40k on the 72 since 2018 and 20k on the 85 since I bought it in 2021 . Hagerty has never asked for milage or even how many miles I drive them . But its pleasure use anyway
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 12:32 PM   #38
special-K
Special Order

My '72 plates are restored and they are legitimate.

I have a set of N.O.S. Virginia truck tags I had bought for one of my '72 K/20s. My sister lives in VA and I would just register it at her address. I came to find out why they existed still as N.O.S. years after I bought them. VA alternated from black plates with white letters to the reverse every other year. From talking to people mine are the opposite from the norm. Everyone would say they must have been painted by someone the wrong way. Years later I'm talking to a knowledgeable vintage tag dealer and he told me the story on that. In '72 the one prison made the first batch the wrong color. Until another run could be made up in the correct colors they had to issue the wrong colored ones. I guess mine are a set that never got issued before the right ones were made.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 02:10 PM   #39
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I've got a set of YOM plates that I plan on putting on my 70 CST.

In California you must have 2 plates to go YOM. A single plate is no bueno. That's a wall hanger.

I was told from the license plate dealer that I bought them from that the plates were clear and good to go. And that was 20 years ago.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 06:01 PM   #40
Ironhorse

I run single YOM plates on all three of my classics. My 71 4x4, 71 Chevelle and 57 2 dr sedan. Kansas has two ways to go for classics, the YOM plate or a plain jane "antique" plate. Recently the state quit producing the stamped embossed plates and went with a smooth flat steel plate, letters and numbers. Yuch, I opted years ago for the YOM and while not required I did hold out until I found the correct county of residence plate for all three. $17 a year registration each, no inspection, no testing, no restrictions on use or mileage. With my Hagerty insurance also no restrictions on use. Why have a piece of Classic American Iron if I can't enjoy it when " I " want to and not when or where the state tells me I can drive it.

Recently found this plate at an auction and I was really VERY surprised I was able to snag it for a whopping $5 bid! My 57 has a Muncie 4 spd with a 283 with the optional 2x4s setup, not original to the car, added it many years ago. Runs great and gets a lot of comments at local car shows "but" don't think it would compare to a BBC. Love the plate tho!
Attached Images

Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 07:51 PM   #41
chevmn

Smile Re: YOM tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Why have a piece of Classic American Iron if I can't enjoy it when " I " want to and not when or where the state tells me I can drive it.
100% agree with that statement. Make no mistake, even though they ask for a log, I did not have to provide mileage when I registered, nor have they asked since. I take it with a grain of salt.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:45 AM   #42
va72longhorn

Quote:
My '72 plates are restored and they are legitimate.

I have a set of N.O.S. Virginia truck tags I had bought for one of my '72 K/20s. My sister lives in VA and I would just register it at her address. I came to find out why they existed still as N.O.S. years after I bought them. VA alternated from black plates with white letters to the reverse every other year. From talking to people mine are the opposite from the norm. Everyone would say they must have been painted by someone the wrong way. Years later I'm talking to a knowledgeable vintage tag dealer and he told me the story on that. In '72 the one prison made the first batch the wrong color. Until another run could be made up in the correct colors they had to issue the wrong colored ones. I guess mine are a set that never got issued before the right ones were made.
Yours are white background, Tim? I know, commonly, even numbers are black background and odd years are white.
I run a set of 72 truck plates on mine. Va just requires a certification that you have, or have access to, a normal registered vehicle for “everyday” use, and a one time $50 fee. You can’t drive it to and from work everyday, but you can use it for “ occasional pleasure driving not to exceed 250 miles from your place of residence “. No yearly state inspection sticker required but you do need to certify that it’s street safe in accordance to the states inspection rules. I plan on just maintaining the state inspection for piece of mind. The dmv officer told me that as long as I wasn’t hauling hay or goods for profit, I was ok with the occasional hobby farm use.
va72longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 10:55 AM   #43
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70c10-08 View Post
With that being said, how many people actually have their County specific vintage license plate?
I do -

Michigan plates were also released by county, which was indicated by the leading letter code.

"KC" designates Genesee County, which is were we lived when we got the GTO.

The car currently resides about 9.5 miles from where it was built in Pontiac, Michigan.

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 08-01-2022 at 12:34 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:00 AM   #44
Keith Seymore

I don't know if those plates were ever actually on the GTO back in the day; they were just some I found in the garage and threw on there and now there is some history as a result.

The original plate was this HW-1031, as indicated by the original title.

It was a 1962 base plate, which was used on our Catalina in '63 and and our 1964 GTO in '64 with the appropriate corner tabs. It was transferred to the '65 GTO in October of '64, where it was used until Jan 1 of 1965 (back then everybody got new plates on Jan 1).

Got our money's worth out of that particular plate.

My '63 Grand Prix is also an example of a '62 plate with the '63 metal corner tab added.

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 08-01-2022 at 03:02 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:21 AM   #45
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by va72longhorn View Post
Yours are white background, Tim? I know, commonly, even numbers are black background and odd years are white.
I run a set of 72 truck plates on mine. Va just requires a certification that you have, or have access to, a normal registered vehicle for “everyday” use, and a one time $50 fee. You can’t drive it to and from work everyday, but you can use it for “ occasional pleasure driving not to exceed 250 miles from your place of residence “. No yearly state inspection sticker required but you do need to certify that it’s street safe in accordance to the states inspection rules. I plan on just maintaining the state inspection for piece of mind. The dmv officer told me that as long as I wasn’t hauling hay or goods for profit, I was ok with the occasional hobby farm use.
Yes, they are white with black letters. I've had them for over 30 years. I'd tell people from VA and they'd say no way. I finally got the story on how they came about being. I had no idea what I was buying at the time.
Name:  DSCN0166.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  37.7 KB

I've had this set of '67 plates in pretty good condition for my poor boy project. I didn't want them to be perfect.
Name:  DSCN0165.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  33.0 KB

I forgot I had these, unissued '67 truck plates. I guess I found them and knew I better buy them. If I ever restore the truck to shiny new these will be the tags for it
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 02:47 PM   #46
pontiacvince

I got these for my '71 Suburban. I'll be registering them this week
Attached Images

pontiacvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:58 PM   #47
jgrote

Man, Colorado actually makes something easy for once!

**Plate must be supplied by the applicant**

Fees: None
Number of Plates Allowed: Unlimited.

About: The Year of Manufacture license plate is an original plate for motor vehicles valued principally because of the vehicle's early date of manufacture, design, or historical interest or value as collectors' items. Motor vehicles using such plates may be used exclusively for:

Driving such vehicle to and from assemblies, conventions, or other meetings where such vehicles and their ownership are the primary interest.
Demonstrations, parades, and when their operation on the street and highway will not constitute a traffic hazard.
Traveling to and from and while on local, state, or national tours held primarily for exhibition and enjoyment.

Available for: Year of Manufacture license plates are authorized for passenger cars, trucks, and motorcycles.

Who qualifies: Any person with a qualifying vehicle and plates.
Requirements: The original plate shall meet the following criteria:
The plates were made at least thirty years prior to registration
Are embossed with the year of original issue
Are legible
Were issued with the year of manufacture of the vehicle upon which they are to be displayed
Do not exceed seven characters
The vehicle must have a current Colorado registration to allow the issuance of a Year of Manufacture plate. The applicant is responsible for providing the original plate. The plate must be requested at a state driver license. The applicant must submit form DR2818 Year of Manufacture License Plate Authorization

Fees: None
Number of Plates Allowed: Unlimited.
Information: Research Colorado Revised Statue 42-12-302

https://dmv.colorado.gov/other-license-plates
jgrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:16 PM   #48
70cst

My 70 Ohio Plates
Attached Images

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 02:16 AM   #49
Impact02

Since Ohio recently went to a 1 plate state I run year plate on front regular plate on rear have not had a problem in over a year. And I daily drive it a lot
Attached Images

Impact02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:23 AM   #50
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impact02 View Post
Since Ohio recently went to a 1 plate state I run year plate on front regular plate on rear have not had a problem in over a year. And I daily drive it a lot
The advantage running only specific year plates... no more yearly license plates visits to the DMV. Its one and done.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote