The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2022, 10:38 PM   #1976
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
Spent the day finding parts to repair the drain lines under our utility room sink. Two trips to Menards and I still don't have the right parts. God I hate plumbing stuff.
Tell me about it. In the past few weeks, I have had a slow shower/tub drain..... a stopped up shower/tub drain (fixed for now, I hope)..... a blocked sewer main (suspected roots, my side of the cleanout, fixed for now), and a serious blockage in the sewer main just beyond the cleanout. I really, really hope I'm done with all that. For a long time, if not forever.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:42 AM   #1977
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

R & R of the tires and wheels on my econobox. The wheels were showing surface rust where the car wash blasted the paint off. Those guys at the dealership tightened the ever-loving snot out of those lug nuts. Max torque it 79 Ft-Lbs, but these had to be way over 100! Got it done, but this old man is feeling it. Guess I better go get some iron to pump. Just ran a power wire brush over the rust and sprayed them. Done.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:58 AM   #1978
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
R & R of the tires and wheels on my econobox. The wheels were showing surface rust where the car wash blasted the paint off. Those guys at the dealership tightened the ever-loving snot out of those lug nuts. Max torque it 79 Ft-Lbs, but these had to be way over 100! Got it done, but this old man is feeling it. Guess I better go get some iron to pump. Just ran a power wire brush over the rust and sprayed them. Done.
Yeah they like those Impact guns

Anti seize on the lugs Please

Name:  2much.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  53.5 KB
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 06:37 AM   #1979
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
Spent the day finding parts to repair the drain lines under our utility room sink. Two trips to Menards and I still don't have the right parts. God I hate plumbing stuff.
Me too, same as electrical. I end up running to town multiple times for both. I always say, inside my head, that both those trades have vans full of about any possible part they might need. Of course, they know their trade and when they get a call they also have a good idea what to throw in the van or pick up before coming.

I am lucky for plumbing, though. We have a store called The Plumbery in our small rural town. It has always been there. It is run by a plumbing company and the employees are all plumbers, AND they have anything possible right there because it is basically their warehouse. A requirement for all plumbers is to also work in the store a day or two a week. Their knowledge is priceless. I love that place!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-05-2022 at 08:12 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:14 AM   #1980
KW5413

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Me too, same as electrical. I end up running to town multiple times for both. I always say, inside my head, that both those trades have vans full of about any possible part they might need. Of course, they know their trade and when they get a call they also have a good idea what to throw in the van or pick up before coming.

I am lucky for plumbing, though. We have a store called The Plumbery in our small rural town. It has always been there. It is run by a plumbing company and the employees are all plumbers, AND they have anything possible right there because it is basically their warehouse. A requirement for all plumbers is to also work in the store a day or two a week. Their knowledge is priceless. I love that place!

That's a pretty smart business owner, right there.
KW5413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:46 AM   #1981
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
Yeah they like those Impact guns

Anti seize on the lugs Please

Attachment 2155903
No anti seize on lug nuts . The torque values are for dry studs lube will change the value and your nuts will be tighter . I wire wheel the studs then remove the nuts then use a lower torque stick on the nuts then torque to the recommended torque. Re torque after 50 to 100 miles. I do use anti seize between the hub and wheel specially on aluminum rims .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 01-05-2022 at 01:39 PM.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:09 PM   #1982
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
No anti seize on lug nuts . The torque values are for dry studs lube will change the value and your nuts will be loose . I wire wheel the studs then remove the nuts then use a lower torque stick on the nuts then torque to the recommended torque. Re torque after 50 to 100 miles. I do use anti seize between the hub and wheel specially on aluminum rims .
Lube on the threads is OK, but none on the cone of the nut where it meets the wheel, as that is where the torque is developed. Of course, one has to be careful, because the lube can get on that interface if things get too hot. I used to work in aerospace, and the fasteners had both a dry lube and a nylon locking patch. We'd record the running torque and then the final torque, which was the spec plus the running torque. It was usually different from fastener to fastener. But we had to record it in case of any failures.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 01-05-2022, 12:31 PM   #1983
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Lube on the threads is OK, but none on the cone of the nut where it meets the wheel, as that is where the torque is developed.
Interesting -- I had not heard that before, but it makes sense. For many years now I have applied a very thin, light dab of antiseize to the lug studs when rotating the tires.
However, I can often see a bit of residue remaining on the the threads so I don't add any.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:36 PM   #1984
special-K
Special Order

I have never torqued a single lug nut on a vehicle. I use a star wrench and feel it. I've never seen a tire place torque my wheels on either. For years I bought my ties from a place that only used a star wrench. I use anti-seize or at least some CR 56. Never spun a stud or lost a wheel... or had one work loose

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 01-05-2022, 10:27 PM   #1985
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
I have never torqued a single lug nut on a vehicle. I use a star wrench and feel it. I've never seen a tire place torque my wheels on either. For years I bought my ties from a place that only used a star wrench. I use anti-seize or at least some CR 56. Never spun a stud or lost a wheel... or had one work loose
I never have either. Just tighten them up. Go around the block and check them again. I've never had a problem. The good ole tire iron worked just fine. And it was all I had back in the day.

Putting the hubcaps back on was a different story. They could be feisty and you didn't want to dent them up.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:58 PM   #1986
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Up until about 10 years ago, I never used a torque wrench for wheels, either. Crazy, as I worked as a mechanical engineer for about 15 years. I guess it finally rubbed off. I always used a torque wrench on engine assembly, though.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 01-06-2022, 06:47 AM   #1987
special-K
Special Order

I always remove lug nuts, which are 8-lug for me, starting at 12 o'clock and skip two counterclockwise till I end up at 12 o'clock. I snug them up in the air, then torque them down once on the ground. I always install exactly the same, but clockwise. I snug them up in the air, then torque them down on the ground. Again, always using that same pattern. It's my way of assuring my own precision. It's almost robotic. I always follow a pattern, such as used bolting heads down, as to not disport.

Tim

Old 01-08-2022, 08:24 PM   #1988
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Took my dogs for a walk down at the "park". It's basically sagebrush, cotton woods and river. Love that smell and the pasture too.

Back in the day I lived there, my mom was married to the cowboy 70s-80s. There were six ranches. Today there are maybe 1000 homes, I live in one. Golf course, and big park where his acres were. The area is still rural. It's hard to believe four of the six ranches remain, but two are the small ones, and the city took the rest for wildlife and such because most is floodplain anyway.

Two years ago a guy built a big beautiful house where the ranch house sat. Man I'd have bought that lot too, but long story. There's nothing to dislike about waking to beautiful hills to the east rural, they and the river a qtr. mile away from the house. So anyway, while I'm walking the dogs the owner was below his lot looking for something in the brush. So I asked if he lived there, he says yes, and I say, yeah I used to live there too.

I let that simmer a few seconds, and he's got to be thinking, no you didn't, I built the place

A real nice guy. We talked about the four trees Red planted back when, they're the only one's he planted, and still stand today, even though the city tried to have the new owner remove them. He wasn't having any of it. He was happy to hear that when those floods come he's got nothing to worry about, but can dive off his lot into the "lake".

I gave him the rundown of the history, how and when stuff was built etc, how Red acquired the ranch is remarkable. Real nice conversation. Then some idiots walking their rambunctious Belgian mix "puppy", big dog not leached, and oh snap. While I'm talking to the guy my dogs drag my skinny *(^) must be 10 feet. That dog kept coming at mine, the owners had no control. They're lucky I didn't let Lucky off the leash, the dog kept coming. Then he goes after another dog an old man has, same thing, and his dog wasn't having any of it.

Anyway, when the dust settled the new owner tells me he's looking for the rifle stolen from his house, camera says the man took it, headed toward the river and returned without it. Times change, we never experienced a burglary or anything like that back in day.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 01-08-2022 at 08:29 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 08:46 PM   #1989
dieseldawg142

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Took my dogs for a walk down at the "park". It's basically sagebrush, cotton woods and river. Love that smell and the pasture too.

Back in the day I lived there, my mom was married to the cowboy 70s-80s. There were six ranches. Today there are maybe 1000 homes, I live in one. Golf course, and big park where his acres were. The area is still rural. It's hard to believe four of the six ranches remain, but two are the small ones, and the city took the rest for wildlife and such because most is floodplain anyway.

Two years ago a guy built a big beautiful house where the ranch house sat. Man I'd have bought that lot too, but long story. There's nothing to dislike about waking to beautiful hills to the east rural, they and the river a qtr. mile away from the house. So anyway, while I'm walking the dogs the owner was below his lot looking for something in the brush. So I asked if he lived there, he says yes, and I say, yeah I used to live there too.

I let that simmer a few seconds, and he's got to be thinking, no you didn't, I built the place

A real nice guy. We talked about the four trees Red planted back when, they're the only one's he planted, and still stand today, even though the city tried to have the new owner remove them. He wasn't having any of it. He was happy to hear that when those floods come he's got nothing to worry about, but can dive off his lot into the "lake".

I gave him the rundown of the history, how and when stuff was built etc, how Red acquired the ranch is remarkable. Real nice conversation. Then some idiots walking their rambunctious Belgian mix "puppy", big dog not leached, and oh snap. While I'm talking to the guy my dogs drag my skinny *(^) must be 10 feet. That dog kept coming at mine, the owners had no control. They're lucky I didn't let Lucky off the leash, the dog kept coming. Then he goes after another dog an old man has, same thing, and his dog wasn't having any of it.

Anyway, when the dust settled the new owner tells me he's looking for the rifle stolen from his house, camera says the man took it, headed toward the river and returned without it. Times change, we never experienced a burglary or anything like that back in day.
yep
the older i get, the more i find myself saying things were better back in the day...
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 09:06 PM   #1990
davischevy

71CHEVYSHORTBED402, good story.

I've heard it called progress.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 09:41 PM   #1991
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

OMG, I just realized "I know" who stole that rifle. He's in jail but won't give up the gun, and the owner told me the guy is a nut job and needs help. He also told me when it happened.

In December I took the dogs for a walk there, and while we were standing on the river bank this guy comes up behind us, stands right next to me dressed like it's summer and starts pitching rocks. It was the most awkward thing, he didn't say a word. After pitching a few rocks he simply turns around and walks away. The place was mostly empty otherwise, for good reason, muddy as heck, if anyone should have known that it would be me.

Edit: Now I'm freaking out I know that was him and dollar to donuts he had already grabbed the rifle, technically a shot-gun. Ever in a spot you're uncomfortable middle of no-where some crazy shows up and you wonder crap, what's this guy going to do? Well that was it.

As for dogs, I'm lucky I went to the gym today stretched out the muscles, because my dogs are big and the lab mix took his hips off a frog. Don't know what that Belgian was mixed with other than BIG, but my Shephard would make his life miserable if he had too. The owners kept saying sorry, sorry. So sorry the dog goes after another up the way.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 01-08-2022 at 09:56 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:34 AM   #1992
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:29 AM   #1993
Getter-Done

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Does these Specs look close
They are for me LOL

Name:  torque.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  60.1 KB

Old 01-09-2022, 10:30 AM   #1994
67 twins

Quote:
A star wrench? Is that what you call a 4 way?
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:15 AM   #1995
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 twins View Post
A star wrench? Is that what you call a 4 way?
Yes. Maybe it's a local term.

Tim

Old 01-09-2022, 12:14 PM   #1996
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Yes. Maybe it's a local term.
Not local, I grew up calling it a star wrench.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 02:46 PM   #1997
72c20customcamper

Roughing out a spoon . Never did one before but the belt on my sander broke so it’ll have to wait till next week as it 28 and freezing rain not going anywhere
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 02:59 PM   #1998
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Roughing out a spoon . Never did one before but the belt on my sander broke so it’ll have to wait till next week as it 28 and freezing rain not going anywhere
Looking Good

I have wanted to try that

There is a lady here in TN that offers classes.

She has U-tube stuff also (Anne of all trades)

Old 01-09-2022, 04:23 PM   #1999
67 twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Not local, I grew up calling it a star wrench.
Well it may not be local but I have never heard it called anything but a 4 way.
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:36 PM   #2000
special-K
Special Order

Four way is the common term. I always called them lug wrenches because that's all I ever used. I hate using factory wreches that put the torque on an angle. I only use those in an emergency. I just like to say star wrench , ever since I heard that. That's cool to know it's used way out there in Daleville . Maybe that's where I first heard it, butI know the boys at Eddie's Tire in Berkley Springs, WVA said it. That's the place I spoke of that only uses those, never impact guns.

Mark, that spoon is looking good. I have a butcher block countertop project I was moving along on till it came time to belt sand. I can not find my sander box anywhere. But I can't see or get to everywhere, either. Things are stashed and crammed all over my place right now. I've been working on door and cabinet hardware today. I also took a vintage tin light down from behind the kitchen sink, dismantled, sanded up, and primed. I want to paint it to match the other switched wall light in my kitchen. The switch is at the doorway into the kitchen on the living room side. Right on the kitchen side and at a good height for a lamp is an electric box from the old wall-mount landline phone that is not being used. I'm moving that light there so it will be switched on when the other one does. I put a plug-in LED tube light under the cabinet over the kitchen sink to take it's place. I wired the wall light to the switch today, but still need to top coat the light. An odds and ends day A cold and wet one

Tim