The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2022, 09:55 PM   #26
Getter-Done

Re: Hurricane Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I'm anxious to hear how the west coast as well as mainland of Florida is. Unfortunately, video from Ft. Myers looks exactly as I pictured it would. And the title of the video is dead-on. I wonder how far inland 9' of surge was blown in a place that is virtually at sea level. This is terrible
Florida becomes the ocean! Hurricane IAN makes big waves in Fort Myers - YouTube
One of my Co-Wokers has a house down there.

He just returned to work today.
He went down there to board it up.
He hopes it is still there after the storm passes.

Sad
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:27 PM   #27
TKCR

My parents live in North Forth Myers, they tried to leave the area but traffic was horrible, so they came back. They went to a shelter just minutes from their house. I lost contact with them from 5pm yesterday, but I finally heard from them about 3pm today. No power or water, and cell service is very spotty. Miraculously, their house suffered minor damage, but most of the neighbors suffered major damage to complete loss. Mom said the neighborhood looked like a war zone.
So happy they are ok! Houses and cars can be replaced, but my Mom & Dad can’t be. They sure had me worried there for awhile!
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:39 PM   #28
truckin 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Well there is this little gem. It may be 3 years old, but I don't think the I.Q. has gone up much on the Fed Gov't level
She never said that ever, facts are important.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/oc...rs-hurricanes/

Now back to hoping the best for all those that Ian has affected. I have a friend who just moved to the Tampa area. He and his family were back in Colorado visiting his family and he is glad they were here. Hard to see the pictures of how hard certain areas of Florida were hit.
Old 10-03-2022, 06:33 AM   #29
special-K
Special Order

We dropped right off on Ian after Ft. Meyers. And how terrible it was for them. Just a worst case scenario with becoming cat4 and blowing onto an area virtually at sea level with such a storm surge.

This has been, and actually still is being, a unique storm. It didn't form into a hurricane until in the Caribbean, took a sharp turn east that wasn't expected, passed over Florida West to East, developed into a hurricane again, and slammed the SC coast with 6' storm surge. They made out way better than Ft. Meyers, but they had a lot of flooding and damage. I think four piers got wiped out and I know shrimp boats got beached.

As Ian went north it brought wind and rain. Rain from Ian started here in MD Friday around 5pm. It rained all weekend, heavy at times to periods of just drizzle. I had 2 1/8" in my rain gauge last evening. But it isn't over! The report last night says the remnant upper level energy from Ian lingering off our coast has formed a new storm that is bringing us a new storm from the east that will linger a couple days. They are calling for rain into Wed. This is all from Ian. We didn't get slammed with a hurricane, but we are getting a good four days of rain or more.

Ian was an odd one. Started late, got strong really fast, took and unpredictable path down the Gulf Coast, crossed land, became a hurricane the second time to damage the Atlantic Coast, then decide it's tired of traveling and just kicking back off the mid-Atlantic coast now

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:33 AM   #30
72c20customcamper

Were getting some of that rain now Tim . I've had the stove lit for a couple of days nothing worse than 50s and rain . Cold and damp in the house I'll be dammed if I turn 9n the heat would rather open a window because the stove is to hot .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:05 AM   #31
special-K
Special Order

I gave in. I have the heat in the living room on. I closed off unused rooms. This is the fourth day of rain and it's still the low left behind by Ian, just stalled. It's 10am here and 47* with steady rain. We'll probably end up with 4" total

I remember listening to this song at a friend's place in Ellicott City, MD before hiking down to the flooded Patapsco R. during Hurricane Agnes

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 10-06-2022, 08:12 AM   #32
best view

Finally got a crane to get the tree off the roof, a big queen palm so no damage to the house but the yard is a mess still no electricity or water or septic
best view is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:30 AM   #33
special-K
Special Order

Are you down there now? That's great to hear. I can't imagine how swamped the insurance companies are. Claims of all sizes there. A lot of work to be done. Some resonating affects for the winter season, too.

I'm just recently learning more about hurricanes. I've learned how the storms form off the coast of Africa. Ian started as a tropical depression off the Yucatan Peninsula. So, originated in the Caribbean. Seems unusual, but I have more to learn. Ian acted a lot like Agnes in '72 but with less rain. Agnes also originated off of Yucatan

Tim

Old 10-06-2022, 10:49 AM   #34
truckin 79

Looking at those pictures of Ian's path and what it left behind is unreal. Hurricane Charley took the same path but is was much larger and moved a lot slower. I could not imagine going through that kind of storm. Tornados scare the crap out of me but this is like a tornado that lasts for days with water.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:43 PM   #35
best view

Yup that’s what my neighbor hood looks like,I am in a block home so not to bad lost all my trees some on my roof ,the weird thing all my downspouts are still on go figure
best view is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:37 PM   #36
special-K
Special Order

That sucks. Except the downspouts

Tim