The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #1
1972BlueC20

temp sensor for vortec heads

Would this GM temp sensor work for my 72 c20 with vortec style heads?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...689969&alt=web

My options are either get a stock sensor machined down from 1/2 npt to 3/8 npt, or put the sensor in the intake manifold or if this one above works then I could get this.

Thoughts??
Old 11-23-2014, 10:02 PM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: temp sensor for vortec heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972BlueC20 View Post

My options are either get a stock sensor machined down from 1/2 npt to 3/8 npt, or put the sensor in the intake manifold or if this one above works then I could get this.

Thoughts??
The one you are looking at on ebay is for a temp light and not a temp gauge. That means basically it is set up to ground at a certain temp to illuminate the "temp" light on the dash.

Your options are to find a temp sender for a gauge with 3/8 pipe thread that has the same ohm range as the stock gauge or like you mentioned, have a stock 1/2 one machined down to 3/8 pipe or you could drill and tap the hole in the head from a 3/8 pipe to a 1/2 hole.

Using adapters will not work as it will move the sender out of the flow of coolant.

You can also, like you mention, place it in the intake but the intake is the coolest part of the cooling system. The senders work best in the cylinder head because that is where the hottest part of the cooling system is located.

Hope this helps,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
Eddie H.

I am running a temp sensor in the intake manifold with no problems. actually I think it gives a more accurate reading than being mounted the head.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:07 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:

Thoughts??

I don't think that one will work, and mine didn't read even close in the intake because of the thermostat opening and closing. I had one turned down. Be sure they don't thread it too far back or it will break off when you try and tighten it down. There was a member on here turning them down but I don't know if he is still around or not....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #5
1972BlueC20

My truck has the idiot lights, no gauges. So I need the sensor for lights.

I pm'd member brian mac but haven't got any response. He is the one that was machining them down. I guess I'll do the intake location for now and hopefully I can either find someone else to turn one down for me or mr mac will write me back.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:27 PM   #6
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:

I pm'd member brian mac but haven't got any response. He is the one that was machining them down. I guess I'll do the intake location for now and hopefully I can either find someone else to turn one down for me or mr mac will write me back.
That makes more sense now for the one you found on ebay. One thing you need to consider is what temp does that sender need to be to ground and illuminate the light. Placing it in the intake may never let it reach that temp. If for example the sender is set to ground at 210* and your intake coolant never reaches that, the light will never illuminate which is not a bad thing unless you cylinder head temp is 230* at the same time.

Like LocDoc mentioned, the fluctuation of the temp near the t-stat will make it very hard to keep accurate.

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:07 AM   #7
FirstOwner69

Quote:

Be patient. Brian was last online Nov, 17. I don't think he's as OCD about visiting here as some of us. You could also send him a note via USPS at his address in the link you have with his contact info.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:12 AM   #8
TonyJohnson

Duralast TU66
http://www.autozone.com/climate-cont...96492&cmpid=cj

interesting discussion here: http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...tec-heads.html
Old 11-24-2014, 01:42 AM   #9
mechanicalman

Quote:

Thoughts??
That's not a sensor, it's a switch. I've asked you more than once if you have a temp gauge or temp light but no reply.

If you have a temp gauge, it will not work.

If you have a temp light, it will work. So will the Autozone part number I gave you.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:50 AM   #10
TonyJohnson

I included my post in case someone else needs the sensor for the vortec heads with a gauge. Common problem for old truck vortec guys...
Old 11-24-2014, 01:57 AM   #11
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
The one you are looking at on ebay is for a temp light and not a temp gauge. That means basically it is set up to ground at a certain temp to illuminate the "temp" light on the dash.

Your options are to find a temp sender for a gauge with 3/8 pipe thread that has the same ohm range as the stock gauge or like you mentioned, have a stock 1/2 one machined down to 3/8 pipe or you could drill and tap the hole in the head from a 3/8 pipe to a 1/2 hole.

Using adapters will not work as it will move the sender out of the flow of coolant.

You can also, like you mention, place it in the intake but the intake is the coolest part of the cooling system. The senders work best in the cylinder head because that is where the hottest part of the cooling system is located.

Hope this helps,
Tom
Intake is not the coolest part of the cooling system. The water pump sucks in coolant from the radiator after it has been cooled, then it goes into the block and absorbs some heat, then it goes to the heads where it absorbs the most heat and directly to the intake manifold after fully heated.

The intake crossover is where the coolant comes after it's gotten the absolute hottest and then it goes though the thermostat to the radiator to get cooled. It does not cool down any at all in the 6" or so it moves from the cylinder head to the intake manifold.

The gauge system this truck uses is cave man tech, it only has lines on the gauge and no numbers so how accurate is it anyway. I temporarily used some late model heads on my truck and put the gauge sensor on the intake and it made no noticeable difference, but then again what would it matter on that gauge.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #12
1972BlueC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
That's not a sensor, it's a switch. I've asked you more than once if you have a temp gauge or temp light but no reply.

If you have a temp gauge, it will not work.

If you have a temp light, it will work. So will the Autozone part number I gave you.

sorry man, I must of missed you asking me whether I had a gauge or lights....

I have lights, no gauges!

This switch that I posted from ebay is actually for another later model gm application....I think v6.....but you're saying it should work on my truck with idiot light?

I just typed in temperature sensor GM 3/8 and this is one that came up as well as others....
Old 11-24-2014, 10:53 AM   #13
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I'm not sure you can even turn the ones for lights down, they are made different than the gauge ones....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #14
Lee H

23/32 bit, 1/2 - 14 tap, 10 minutes and use the correct sensor for your gauge or light.
Attached Images

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote