The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2017, 02:09 PM   #1
Freestate

Rally Wheel Restoration

Hello, I purchased a set of 15x8 rally wheels yesterday. They are in good condition but there are a few spots that have surface rust and I want to repaint them. Below is the process I would like to try, but want everyone's opinion or advice.

1. wire brush rust and sand top layer of old paint
3. Clean and tack cloth
3. spray with permatex rust treatment
4. Duplicolor primer
5. sand lightly
6. Thin layer of duplicolor primer
7. Krylon metallic paint #1403 or VHT Silver Wheel Paint
8. Maybe clear coat (u-pol clear coat)

Few questions:
1. Is the krylon metallic paint close to the original color (argent sliver)? Or would the VHT silver wheel paint work better?
2. Are original rally wheels sprayed with a clear coat? Are they supposed to be glossy or satin?
Freestate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
randy500
Account Suspended

Re: Rally Wheel Restoration

You should sandblast them to get the rust all the way off.

Best match and cheapest I have found is Krylon Dull Aluminum. The original finish is pretty dull, satin to almost flat.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:05 PM   #3
ohboy321

I wire brushed and sanded mine. I was on a budget, so sand blasting wasn't an option at the time. I was able to remove all the rust and most of the old paint, cleaned them with thinner, and sprayed them with Dupli-Color Primer/Filler.

I painted the inside and backs a semi-flat black, as my I read several threads that mentioned that is how they we done at the factory.

I used Plastikote Argent Silver for the front. This truck is driven regularly, and the results are perfect for me.

Here are a couple of before and after pics.
Attached Images

ohboy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:26 PM   #4
Freestate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohboy321 View Post
I wire brushed and sanded mine. I was on a budget, so sand blasting wasn't an option at the time. I was able to remove all the rust and most of the old paint, cleaned them with thinner, and sprayed them with Dupli-Color Primer/Filler.

I painted the inside and backs a semi-flat black, as my I read several threads that mentioned that is how they we done at the factory.

I used Plastikote Argent Silver for the front. This truck is driven regularly, and the results are perfect for me.

Very nice! Thank you for posting what you used.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:27 PM   #5
Freestate

Quote:

Also, if you don't mind me asking. Where did you get your beauty rings? Or are they original? The ones I have are a little scuffed and dented. I believe I have 2.5" but am open to put 3" on.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:00 PM   #6
ohboy321

Spraying with some rust treatment is a good idea, and if I had to do it again I would probably do that, especially since I didn't blast mine.

My truck came with four 3" rings, and a couple have some small scratches on them, so they are on the curb side.

I picked up a 5th rally wheel locally and NOS 5th ring on ebay to go on my fender mounted spare. I wanted a nicer one there because people can walk right up to it.

Rings can be found from several online sources including the Parts Board on this site.
ohboy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:56 PM   #7
towbar

Location: Marshall, NC....heart of the Appalachians.....aka, Gods country!!

depending on what your looking to spend?

Sandblast clean, then epoxy prime to seal the metal for your base....epoxy is tough as nails and doesn't chip or flake. Then single stage with flattener to keep the mil depth down which will help prevent chipping.

Or as Randy said, Krylon Dull Aluminum is a great option...used it for years on GM rally wheels, but its become hard to find on in the east coast....or at least in my neck of the woods
towbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:22 AM   #8
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:39 PM   #9
57larry

I would blast them
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:00 PM   #10
davepl

I don't know if other places do it, but our local Les Schwab tire chain will sand-blast and (optionally) powder coat wheels. I had the whites done on my truck for $180 for all four, or something like that, which seemed like a good deal to me.

They had a color chip of available colors to chose from, and while I went with white of course there were a couple silvers and greys available too.

I was just taking them there to get them dismounted so I could take them to the powdercoater myself. When I mentioned it he told me they could do it all turnkey for me, which they did.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:49 AM   #11
Freestate

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
I don't know if other places do it, but our local Les Schwab tire chain will sand-blast and (optionally) powder coat wheels. I had the whites done on my truck for $180 for all four, or something like that, which seemed like a good deal to me.

They had a color chip of available colors to chose from, and while I went with white of course there were a couple silvers and greys available too.

I was just taking them there to get them dismounted so I could take them to the powdercoater myself. When I mentioned it he told me they could do it all turnkey for me, which they did.
Good advice! I think I've opted to sandblast them and then paint them myself. I've got to save some money for the new tires.