The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2016, 12:49 AM   #1
centuryhouse

replaced brake Master Cylinder, but need rubber seal between MC and booster (72 GMC)

I spent over $1000 on brakes today

At the end of it all, my brakes felt far worse than they did when I wen to the shop to begin with.

The engine is revving higher than normal and running rough, instead of low and smooth like it was before taking it in. And pushing really hard on the brake pedal is required to stop the car now.

There is a rubber seal between the MC and the booster, which they tore when removing it. Air is hissing from there, like a leak.

How can I find a replacement?

(72 GMC c15 2wd, 305 engine, TH350 trans.

Parts replaced today: New front rotors, new pads, greased calipers, repacked bearings, new drums, new shoes & hardware kits, new wheel cylinders, new brake line, replaced axle seal, new master cylinder, flushed refilled & bled brake system, new emergency brake cable system.
centuryhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:02 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: replaced brake Master Cylinder, but need rubber seal between MC and booster (72 G

Quote:
Originally Posted by centuryhouse View Post
I spent over $1000 on brakes today

At the end of it all, my brakes felt far worse than they did when I wen to the shop to begin with.

The engine is revving higher than normal and running rough, instead of low and smooth like it was before taking it in. And pushing really hard on the brake pedal is required to stop the car now.

There is a rubber seal between the MC and the booster, which they tore when removing it. Air is hissing from there, like a leak.

How can I find a replacement?

(72 GMC c15 2wd, 305 engine, TH350 trans.

Parts replaced today: New front rotors, new pads, greased calipers, repacked bearings, new drums, new shoes & hardware kits, new wheel cylinders, new brake line, replaced axle seal, new master cylinder, flushed refilled & bled brake system, new emergency brake cable system.

Sounds like the diaphram in the booster may be bad & leaking.... I don't think that seal being torn would make it leak vacuum. You definitely have a vacuum leak somewhere.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
old Chevy guy

Re: replaced brake Master Cylinder, but need rubber seal between MC and booster (72 G

X's2 the booster is bad or the connection going to it. High erratic idle and hard to push pedal are brake booster for sure ,been there done that. Try and track down where the hiss is coming from. Could be something they did while replacing the master.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:02 PM   #4
centuryhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Chevy guy View Post
X's2 the booster is bad or the connection going to it. High erratic idle and hard to push pedal are brake booster for sure ,been there done that. Try and track down where the hiss is coming from. Could be something they did while replacing the master.
Did you guys see in my post where I said they replaced the master cylinder, but didn't replace the seal that goes between it and the booster?

The seal is torn and has a hole in it but they stuck it back in place, because they didn't have a new one and the parts stores can't seem to find the part.

The booster worked 100% with no vacuum leak when I drove it into the shop yesterday.

My problem that I am posting about, is that I can't figure out where to buy that part - the rubber grommet / seal that goes between the MC and booster. Unless you guys think the seal can't cause a vacuum leak. But it makes no sense to me that a 100% working booster would coincidentally stop working the same afternoon they replaced the rest of the stuff.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:48 PM   #5
dozerbill72

A place called Docrebuilds has that seal, but what every you do, do NOT tell them it's for a truck. I told them that is what I was working on and they refused to sell it to me. In fact they sent a nasty e-mail to me saying I was a dumb a$$. Mine had a part # on it that was the same as their part number but that didn't matter to them. They sell Corvette parts so I guess that gives them the right. I ended up junk yarding mine. Good luck.

Bill
dozerbill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:14 AM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by centuryhouse View Post
Did you guys see in my post where I said they replaced the master cylinder, but didn't replace the seal that goes between it and the booster?

The seal is torn and has a hole in it but they stuck it back in place, because they didn't have a new one and the parts stores can't seem to find the part.

The booster worked 100% with no vacuum leak when I drove it into the shop yesterday.

My problem that I am posting about, is that I can't figure out where to buy that part - the rubber grommet / seal that goes between the MC and booster. Unless you guys think the seal can't cause a vacuum leak. But it makes no sense to me that a 100% working booster would coincidentally stop working the same afternoon they replaced the rest of the stuff.

Yes, I saw what you posted about the seal but as I stated in my previous post I don't think that seal would create a vacuum leak. The booster should be a sealed unit. If you find that I am wrong I hope you will add that info to the thread.... By the same token if I am right that info would be useful to others also.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:28 AM   #7
Racer382D

Check first to make sure that your vacuum line is installed correctly from the booster to the manifold. The gasket you are speaking of is not causing the issue you are describing.
Racer382D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:03 AM   #8
centuryhouse

The sound of the leak is coming from the exact spot the seal is - which is where the MC meets the booster.

The line from the booster is fine, plugged in well and no leaking.

As to the idea that the seal can't be the source of the leak - my question is why would a seal exist, if it isn't sealing anything?

And again, a booster that works 100% until they tear the seal makes me think that the thing that changed is what is wrong. If I find out that isn't the case, I'll certainly post here.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:11 AM   #9
Racer382D

That is a dust seal to keep debris out of the booster which is a sealed unit..... It would not leak even if the master isn't bolted to it.... It sounds like they may have ruined your booster.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #10
dozerbill72

The seal between the booster and master cylinder is more than a dust seal. I had the exact same problem on mine about 3 months ago after replacing the master cylinder. If you look at the location of the seal it is on the vacuum side of the booster. Boosterdeweyexchange may also provide that seal. After searching for a replacement for mine I found it's a fairly common problem
dozerbill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:19 AM   #11
Racer382D

It's not supposed to be, if it is leaking vacuum there it means the booster is bad.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:06 PM   #12
RichardJ

Forget the seal. I've seen boosters like this one, with a notch to let the fluid from a bad, leaking master, drain out so it doesn't puddle in front of the booster.

A much bigger error than a missing seal would be a failure to check and adjust the booster pin length.

If a gasket between the MC and booster corrected a vacuum leak, You've got a bad booster.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:14 PM   #13
Racer382D

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
Forget the seal. I've seen boosters like this one, with a notch to let the fluid from a bad, leaking master, drain out so it doesn't puddle in front of the booster.

A much bigger error than a missing seal would be a failure to check and adjust the booster pin length.

If a gasket between the MC and booster corrected a vacuum leak, You've got a bad booster.
There you go!! ^^ exactly what I was saying.... In more detail lol
Old 07-01-2016, 02:16 PM   #14
jsera

Unbolt the master and put some rtv on it and let it dry. If it persists replace the booster.
jsera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:18 PM   #15
Racer382D

I repeat.... The mc does not deal vacuum!!!!
Old 07-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #16
jsera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer382D View Post
I repeat.... The mc does not deal vacuum!!!!
I agree but the rtv seal would settle the argument
jsera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #17
Racer382D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsera View Post
I agree but the rtv seal would settle the argument
NO IT WOULDNT! it would band aid the issue of a bad booster. THERE IS NO ARGUMENT!!
Old 12-22-2020, 08:51 AM   #18
The Rocknrod

Here is a post from another forum that shows the seal. Not required.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1602295807
And the part: https://www.corvettecentral.com/c3-6...-gasket-192306
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 05:07 PM   #19
BigBird05

Plug the vacuum line going to the brake booster and see if the engine runs normal.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote