The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2021, 10:20 AM   #26
roll_the_dice

Re: Rotten 66 Farm Truck Build

Nice build. I like the direction you are going and the Tremec trans is awesome...T56 Magnum? I love my Tremec. The wheels look awesome already...

Not that you asked, but keep the stepside...I love stepsides more than fleetsides...more unique.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:36 AM   #27
jdorrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
If you're running manual brakes you should be okay. But if you are wanting power brakes, from the looks of where that clutch master is, no way. You know I do make a booster bracket with the hydraulic clutch conversion made specifically for the '63-'66 trucks?
Thanks Captain, I'll check out your backet when I get around to that part of the project. I'm wanting to use the POL hydro assist master. It can be rotated to give a bit more clearance but I'll need to pull some exact measurements to get an idea if it'll work. I definitely will not be using manual brakes.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:40 AM   #28
jdorrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Nice build. I like the direction you are going and the Tremec trans is awesome...T56 Magnum? I love my Tremec. The wheels look awesome already...

Not that you asked, but keep the stepside...I love stepsides more than fleetsides...more unique.
Thanks! Yeah its a T56 Magnum. The folks at American Powertrain did all the work moving the shifter to the maintenance port and installing the white lightning offset. I'm excited to get it installed to see how it's all going to line up inside the cab.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:52 AM   #29
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorrough View Post
Thanks! Yeah its a T56 Magnum. The folks at American Powertrain did all the work moving the shifter to the maintenance port and installing the white lightning offset. I'm excited to get it installed to see how it's all going to line up inside the cab.
I love the Magnum...cruising at 65 mph at 1700 RPMs. I bought the Tremec mid shifter and installed it. I like the American Powertrain...looks like you can rotate the shifter around a little which is nice. This is where mine came out on the hump with a SBC.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2021, 10:58 PM   #30
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I also offer a hydroboost mounting plate. Then you can simply purchase a hydroboost unit from your local auto parts store.

Quote:
Thanks Captain, I'll check out your backet when I get around to that part of the project. I'm wanting to use the POL hydro assist master. It can be rotated to give a bit more clearance but I'll need to pull some exact measurements to get an idea if it'll work. I definitely will not be using manual brakes.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 11:31 AM   #31
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I also offer a hydroboost mounting plate. Then you can simply purchase a hydroboost unit from your local auto parts store.
And just speaking from expeiance with Captainfab stuff, it is SO WORTH IT!! His stuff is perfect and the price is great, let alone he has fantastic customer service... Besides that, the hydroboost system is the only way i will ever go. I have already bought the his plate for that and his Hydraulic Clutch kit.
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 11:26 PM   #32
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Thanks for the kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
And just speaking from expeiance with Captainfab stuff, it is SO WORTH IT!! His stuff is perfect and the price is great, let alone he has fantastic customer service... Besides that, the hydroboost system is the only way i will ever go. I have already bought the his plate for that and his Hydraulic Clutch kit.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:30 AM   #33
jdorrough

A couple things have been completed since my last post. The vent windows showed up. I bought new ones as there doesn't seem to be an easy way to repair the old ones. In my opinion they are way overpriced but I didn't really find any other alternatives. I added new felts and seals while I was at it.

I also received my wiring harness from BluePrint Engines. I fabricated a mount for the accelerator pedal out of a piece of old square steel. It was the easiest way I could think of to offset the pedal off the firewall. I'm glad I finished that because my engine showed up a few days later.
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2021, 10:42 AM   #34
jdorrough

I was like a kid at Christmas time unboxing the crate engine. BluePrint dyno test each engine. I was expecting around 520s HP so to see 554 I was pretty stoked. It should be a good step up from the factory 250 inline 6. I ordered a set of headers from Speed Engineering. They are extremely well built for the price. I was a bit worried about fitment but all fit like a glove when it was in it's final mounting location. The shifter came up through the floor in a nice spot. I'll just need to cut a patch for the factory hole and weld it up. Seeing the new lower stance with the engine weight has me jonesing to drive it.
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2021, 10:58 AM   #35
roll_the_dice

Looks great! Really like the look of the LS engine in our trucks. Wheels look great! I have a few questions?

What gas pedal did you use? Where did you get your vent windows? Mine are beyond repair and I think new ones are overpriced also, but go to do what I got to do! And finally who did the engine come from? Did it come with the serpentine system and wiring harness? I am thinking of an LS engine in an upcoming build.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:33 AM   #36
jdorrough

Quote:
Looks great! Really like the look of the LS engine in our trucks. Wheels look great! I have a few questions?

What gas pedal did you use? Where did you get your vent windows? Mine are beyond repair and I think new ones are overpriced also, but go to do what I got to do! And finally who did the engine come from? Did it come with the serpentine system and wiring harness? I am thinking of an LS engine in an upcoming build.
I'll try to answer your questions in order that you asked...

Gas pedal- It came with the Engine Controller Kit from BluePrint. P/N - BPPLS530. You could also get the same controller made by Chevrolet Performance from Jegs or Summit. I think the BluePrint one has a custom tune setup for the engine I bought.

Vent Windows- Classic Industries

Engine- BluePrint Engines, I bought part number PSLS3760CTFKB which comes with full accessories kit. I literally only added a starter and headers.

Last edited by jdorrough; 01-26-2021 at 12:25 PM.
jdorrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:47 PM   #37
roll_the_dice

Thank you! That answered my questions...love the setup!
Old 01-26-2021, 04:00 PM   #38
Racer2172

Just stumbled accross this build awesome work, amazing how fast things can snowball from original build ideas. Great work
1968 C10 Project Quarantine http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=804800
1980 Buick Regal Dirt Stock car
Racer2172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:01 AM   #39
jdorrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer2172 View Post
Just stumbled accross this build awesome work, amazing how fast things can snowball from original build ideas. Great work
Thanks! I appreciate it.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:24 AM   #40
jdorrough

Progress is continuing slowly but surely. I decided make my own brackets to mount my PCM and fuse block that controls the LS3. The mount I made bolts to the side of the steering/pedal structure and also ties into the accelerator pedal. I bought a painless wiring kit to rewire the entire truck while I was wiring up the engine controller. I was really impressed with how well that kit was put together.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2021, 11:39 AM   #41
jdorrough

I was able to get the inner fenders welded up and painted. I also put the carpet and seat back in to be sure I mounted my steering wheel in the most comfortable position.

Bonus Video of first fire up:

https://youtu.be/2wctKxXSyAE

-
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2021, 12:22 PM   #42
roll_the_dice

Looks great! What a wonderful feeling first start up!...No other feeling compares really!
Old 04-19-2021, 08:38 AM   #43
jdorrough

I've managed to find some garage time to continue checking off some body work. This round I included the hood, and some repop fenders and grill support. The original fenders and grill support were simply too far gone to rust. The new stuff is lackluster at best. I started by beating out a couple obvious dents and doing a rough fill of surface putty where it was needed. I then went to epoxy primer and high build. Sanded everything down with 320 grit and fixed any imperfections with a little glazing putty. Finished up with a seal coat of epoxy, then 2 coats of base red and 3 coats of clear. It isn't perfect but it looks good enough for me.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2021, 09:03 AM   #44
jdorrough

While waiting on the parts listed above, I've also spent time over the last couple weeks under the hood. I finally sorted out my brakes and steering. I went with POL for both but looking back I may have taken a different approach if I knew how long everything was back ordered. I'm talking months, not days. Probably due to covid but annoying none the less. After getting the Hydro-boost installed I couldn't find any pre-made or diy hose kits that I liked so I ended up going with bulk Fragola hoses and buying each Fragola fitting needed to incorporate the Hydro-boost, rack and pinion, reservoir and pump. Very pricey but ended up with a clean look. Their system is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. I learned pretty quickly not to over torque those aluminum fittings when I stripped out a $20+ elbow.

I also included an interior shot. I've got the new Dakota Digital gauge cluster installed. The steering wheel is buttoned up now that I've gotten the linkage hooked up under the hood. Lastly I put a set up lap belts in but I'm really starting to rethink the bench seat. I think I'll want to go buckets with at least a three point belt later on. I backed it out of the garage to move it from one garage bay to the other and tapped the throttle after the clutch was fully engaged. To my shock, I didn't really go anywhere fast but instead left a trail of tire smoke and black marks for my wife to enjoy on our driveway. This thing is going to be a death trap.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2021, 09:21 AM   #45
roll_the_dice

Looks great!!...you can do "not perfect" body and paint work for me anytime! LOL

I personally like the bench seats...I don't think buckets look right in these trucks, but it is your truck...do what you are comfortable with. I did add 3 point seatbelts with my bench seat though.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:25 AM   #46
roll_the_dice

I just noticed your US Wheels. Those are the same ones I am looking at...what center caps are you going to use?
Old 04-19-2021, 10:16 AM   #47
88Stanger

Love the Color!!! Great build!!!
Old 04-19-2021, 10:42 AM   #48
jdorrough

Quote:
I just noticed your US Wheels. Those are the same ones I am looking at...what center caps are you going to use?
I don't think I'll do a center cap at all. At least that's my plan as of today. The whole reason I went with the solid black rat rod wheel was to avoid a flashy chrome look. My target color palette is blood red, satin black, and a just a touch of chrome or stainless. In keeping with the minimalist look, I simply have the stock dustcaps with chrome extended lug nuts.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:02 AM   #49
roll_the_dice

That's why I haven't bought them yet. I just can't decide what to do. I thought about putting the push through caps on or their hubcaps, but just don't know what will look better...I think I like the idea of the push through caps, but can decide that after I get a few more things buttoned up. They are a good looking wheel though!
Old 04-20-2021, 04:22 PM   #50
88Stanger

Quote:
While waiting on the parts listed above, I've also spent time over the last couple weeks under the hood. I finally sorted out my brakes and steering. I went with POL for both but looking back I may have taken a different approach if I knew how long everything was back ordered. I'm talking months, not days. Probably due to covid but annoying none the less. After getting the Hydro-boost installed I couldn't find any pre-made or diy hose kits that I liked so I ended up going with bulk Fragola hoses and buying each Fragola fitting needed to incorporate the Hydro-boost, rack and pinion, reservoir and pump. Very pricey but ended up with a clean look. Their system is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. I learned pretty quickly not to over torque those aluminum fittings when I stripped out a $20+ elbow.

I also included an interior shot. I've got the new Dakota Digital gauge cluster installed. The steering wheel is buttoned up now that I've gotten the linkage hooked up under the hood. Lastly I put a set up lap belts in but I'm really starting to rethink the bench seat. I think I'll want to go buckets with at least a three point belt later on. I backed it out of the garage to move it from one garage bay to the other and tapped the throttle after the clutch was fully engaged. To my shock, I didn't really go anywhere fast but instead left a trail of tire smoke and black marks for my wife to enjoy on our driveway. This thing is going to be a death trap.
Ok, wait a minute, is it me or am i seeing a pattern here, red body, blakc rims, black trim on front hood marker lights.... so a Red and Black Theme?!?!

I built my 1969 LX C10 in Flat Black with Red Highlights and the 1966 C10 will be 383 stroker with Muncie 4 speed in Flat Red with Black highlights!!

Either way, love the build!!!