The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #1
Grat52

Title issues with swap to short bed frame?

I'm buying a 70 long box that is currently registered & licensed. My intent is to put the cab & everything together with a Shortbox frame & box I have. I would leave it registered and licensed as it was. Any issues in doing this?
Thanks
Grat52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #2
dell72

Re: Title issues with swap to short bed frame?

I would leave the title and tags as is.

I've swapped a 2wd body onto a 4wd frame and left the tags alone with no issue.

I wouldn't view it any differently than if a frame was damaged and had to be replaced. JMO
dell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grat52 View Post
I'm buying a 70 long box that is currently registered & licensed. My intent is to put the cab & everything together with a Shortbox frame & box I have. I would leave it registered and licensed as it was. Any issues in doing this?
Thanks
Unlike some states they are not critical about that kind of stuff here in Iowa. We have no inspections any more and so far no one has ever came out and inspected any of my vehicles when buying or selling. I have swapped a couple of frames out (3/4 to 1/2) and shortened one frame with no issues. I know it can vary from county to county depending on how gung-ho the employees are about modifications. If you wanted you could contact your local office and ask but you may open up a can of worms. I would just keep the long frame around if you have room to store it.

This is not a recommendation whether to do it or not it is just my observations from working on these old trucks here in Iowa....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #4
71swb4x4

Keep the title for both VINs.
Call the highway patrol and ask what you should do in that situation. I would call anonymously, and ask your questions hypothetically. Tell them you are considering a frame swap, and ask how that would affect titling and registration.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:02 PM   #5
Grat52

I don't have a title for the Shortbox frame
Grat52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #6
hugger6933

The way I look at it [ like I matter] if you are ever to sell [like I am likely to do with any or all three of mine anytime from to paint drying to a little later on] if your forthcoming and honest about what you have done and bring everything out into the light about the build it will be easier on you and the buyer. That is my philosophy on both old ones I restore/ modify or newer ones I rebuild from wrecks. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:10 PM   #7
Tango59

I would go ahead as planned. Most vin searches on anything past the mid 80's are hit and miss anyway. About once a month I get a call to do a VIN search for somebody trying to title an antique vehicle and the only thing that will pop up is lien holder, make, model and color.
Tango59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:24 PM   #8
no1udknow

Look at it this way. If you sell it and it goes over state lines, they will do a vin verification to transfer it to the new state. Sometimes they open the hood amd look for the number on the frame, sometimes they don't. If you can get a bill of sale for the frame, you could likely got to highway patrol and get it blue tagged. But that's the only "legal" way to really do it

the other option would be to cut and weld the section of the frame by the drivers front fender well so the frame numbers match the cab. Just my $.02 like everyone else.
My build : 68 C10 Short Bed Conversion
no1udknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:00 AM   #9
ho70

I would not say anything, don't poke the bear. Too much politics to change it as the vin identifies a specific wheelbase\frame and it shouldn't be changed by the letter of the law. A lot easier for them to deny title then to change title
If you sell it, be honest
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #10
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

In my book, the title and VIN plates go with the cab. I guess if someone is building a spot on concourse truck...Like they do with Corvettes, then an original frame makes a difference.

Like the frame in my body, the frame's numbers (if my backbone and rib cage had numbers) would make less difference to me then the frame's structural integrity.

Anyway, I couldn't find frame numbers on my trucks if I tried.

But that's just me.
Attached Images

But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:47 PM   #11
Doug's68SS

I am doing the whole switching my LWB to a SWB by changing the Frame. I live in Texas ans by their rules the VIN on the Frame is the one they look at. My thoughts are however you handle it the only real question to ask yourself is. What if it gets stolen? how much $$$ do you have in it and how do you prove it belongs to you if there are questions with the Title. Just Sayin.
the other question is insurance and how well they cover if in an accedent if they check for that kind of stuff. Like someone said earlier make it easy on yourself and do it right and you will not have problems down the road.
Doug's68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #12
stomper

I did this with my truck. Bought a complete driving LWB with title, etc and put it on a swb frame I already had. I did anonymously call the DMV and have them search the frame VIN to see if it was stolen or registered. It was 'out of the system' so I proceeded.

As far as paperwork is concerned it's still the same LWB truck it always was. Only issue might be if I sell it to an out of state buyer and an inspection discovers a different VIN on the frame. You will likely hear horror stories about the government coming to confiscate your truck for doing this but I'm not worried. The frame is not from a stolen truck and I haven't altered the VIN on either.

I suggest you just call and ask about the VIN on the SWB frame like i did and if all is good, go for it.

P.S. I went to school at Westwood in Sloan.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #13
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Where I am going to in AZ, they check the frame. With that being said, I check every truck to make sure I am not buying someone elses problems. Talk to the DMV, HWP, if you are going to change it, in my opinion do it right so no one else has to deal with it later. Or atleast be honest with a potential buyer. I have ran into so many people that get in over their heads with projects and list it as something that it really isnt just so they can pawn it off. It is funny to me to watch them back pedal once all the mistakes are pointed out. Some states care, some don't.

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote