The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2020, 03:09 PM   #1
tinman_local2

Eastwood primer purchase in freezing temps

I just ordered some epoxy primer online. Is there any concern with it freezing during shipping? I live in Missouri and our temps get well below freezing and I'm worried about it sitting on a truck waiting for delivery. Maybe I'm being a little too concerned??
tinman_local2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 03:40 PM   #2
72c20customcamper

Re: Eastwood primer purchase in freezing temps

Really shouldn't be a concern . Its solvent based not water so I doubt it will freeze. Solids may settle but it should mix back into solution .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
gmc684x4

One thing you can do is require signature so it doesnt get left on your porch
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 07:46 PM   #4
tinman_local2

Thanks for the responses. My primer is being shipped this week. Temps are supposed to be near 60 the next couple of days so I should be fine. I don't really know why I'm worried about it, they ship paint every day to the parts stores!
Old 12-22-2020, 08:39 AM   #5
sick472

Hello from a fellow Pettis County member...

I store all my left over paints in the detached garage and have only had trouble with latex house paints reacting badly to the cold. Some of my leftovers are many years old too. You don't have anything to worry about with solvent based paints. Some of the body fillers and such say on the can to store in medium temp areas, but mine still store well with the occasional days below freezing in the garage.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 04:58 PM   #6
tinman_local2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post
Hello from a fellow Pettis County member...

I store all my left over paints in the detached garage and have only had trouble with latex house paints reacting badly to the cold. Some of my leftovers are many years old too. You don't have anything to worry about with solvent based paints. Some of the body fillers and such say on the can to store in medium temp areas, but mine still store well with the occasional days below freezing in the garage.
Where abouts are you in Sedalia? I've probably ran into you somewhere. Good to hear from another local guy.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:44 PM   #7
hugger6933

I own a body shop and have since the 80's. i say your not the only one to think of things like that but rest your mind it wont hurt anything my shop is heated only when I'm there in fact one time a couple cold winters ago my plasma cutter wouldnt cut and I kept getting a really odd trouble code for it I called the company and they said it was too cold to work it was in the teens in my shop. I wasnt running the heater cause I was moving really well and didnt think about it. But going back to your thoughts, that stuff is kept in a huge warehouse and there are quite a few up north and in the midwestern parts of our country .I know the temps there are quite cold during the winters. long post short your good to go. You do need to watch the temp though if your trying to spray the primer [or other things as well] I have a personal rule of trying for surface temp of 65 and paint or material temp of 65 as well you can get by at 60 but any cooler and that stuff will roll off in the floor. I have one of those jet blaster heater and I will heat up a panel or truck with it and place the materials in front of the heater as well at least ten feet away from the heater and keep an eye on it dont leave it too long. Good luck and happy painting. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote