The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2021, 06:14 AM   #1
ChevyRacefan

off topic a little, maybe but how do you have the energy

Hello. as I [pass the half century mark. I have found it hard to find time t spend on my automotive fix/hobby.
Wife is ok with it, i have the funds, persay for what I want out f my week end fun truck.
I love cars/trucks, but I am dead tired from my work week and tend to not touch my project because of being tired/beat .
How do you push yourself to get out and work on you hobby when you are beat from the job that pays the bills
I have thought of just selling it all , but that one start and drive brings me back to a time of no caring and no worries. but to do what I would like to do to it, I am so beat from my job, that I just put it off. how do you get passes the tiredness and just forge ahead. I get that for some it iis a business, this question isn't for you, it is fo the guy/gal that works a 40-80 hour week that is dad tired that wants to work on his/her hobby but is dead tired.
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:07 AM   #2
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: off topic a little, maybe but how do you have the energy

For me it's a pure passion I guess. Besides my wife and kids, outside of work I eat sleep and breath old cars and trucks. Do I get discouraged during a project? Absolutely. But for me building them is the fun part. And I usually have more than one project going so I am always all over the place so the only advice I can offer is look towards the point of when you can actually drive it and enjoy it. Watch a show like Roadkill and that will light some fire. I'd really like to do a trip like that some day. Fly to a location, buy an old car or truck, get it running and then drive it back home with no care in the world and just enjoy it. Someday I will do this with my kids.

Or, get out to a local cars and coffee or any show. Meet some people in your area and a lot of times that will help keep you going on your project. That has worked for me in the past too.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:45 AM   #3
Willys_MB

I’ve been having this problem, too. I have two little ones (10 months and 3 years) and my wife works nights, so I get up at least 2x a night on average.

What works for ME is that I try to spend a minimum of 5 minutes in the garage when I get the time. Sometimes I just sweep, sometimes I rearrange a shelf, and sometimes I start a new project. The way I look at it is that you have to build up the energy and make it a habit to get to work on your time off. I’ve been doing this for two weeks and I already find myself going down to the garage rather than watching tv because I enjoy making progress. Even if I just rearrange my toolbox, it’s something that needed to get done.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:52 AM   #4
Happy_dan

If your really passionate about it, it’s not an effort. It’s something to look forward to and therapy after a hard work week. Having said that, I raised 6 children and worked two jobs for several years so I totally understand. The only advice I have is to just very little to keep it going but not try to do too much. Hopefully life slows down at some point and you have more time to enjoy the hobby instead of it being a chore.
2012 Camaro ZL1
Happy_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:12 AM   #5
carbuff382

Just get out there a little at a time, enjoy yourself, have fun, and before you know it you'll be making progress. And drink lots of coffee!
carbuff382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:24 AM   #6
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

How is your weight/eating habbits?

I recently turned 40, work 45-50 hours per week on average, have a wife that works 3 days/wk, and a little 4 month old. A couple months ago I found myself feeling exhausted and "dead". I let myself get up over 210 lbs (I'm normally in the 185-190 range). I was also going through a 15 pack of soda every 4-5 days (I was using it to get through 12-15 hour work days). About 6 weeks ago I quit the soda (crap was that hard) and do 25 minute video work outs 4-5x per week. I've lost about 5 lbs so far, but I have SOOOOO much more energy than I did a couple months ago. I'm sleeping more regularly too. I'm already eating less because I'm just not as hungry. 2 of the guys working out in the videos are 45+.

You don't have to reply with your situation, but something to think about. I know it takes time, but we always find a way to make time for the things we think are the most imporatant. Replace a TV show with workout time

The other thing I've had to accept is I can't do it all anymore, nor anywhere near as fast as I used to be able to. I actually haven't done any "car stuff" in almost 2 years because I started a massive shop build. It's already $ enough, and I don't have the $ to pay someone to do it, so I've pretty much built this entire 28x52 shop myself aside from dirt/concrete, and wiring. The goal was to have it done in 12-15 months, well, 18 months in and I'm far from finished. But it will get done.

The other thing is to not have "too many" projects. I have a running/driving 67 C10 and 65 Mustang and a 68 Firbird non running project car. I don't know how/why some people have 15 project vehicles and maybe only a couple (or none) that run. My dad is actually one of "those people" and as well as I know him, he'll drag something else home and push whatever he was working on outside nowhere near finished, he's still doing this at 58. I've never understood.
Attached Images

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:27 AM   #7
Smitty

I’m well past the half century mark. And sometimes the tired and lazy felling hits. Not just in hobbies, but everyday activities. So I’ve made a habit of setting small goals to accomplish everyday. Usually serves to get me started toward a more functional day. And keeps me from stagnating and becoming The proverbial couch potato. Good luck with your truck. The satisfaction you will get driving your truck and garnering compliments will make all the effort worth while. And sometimes the worn out feeling is just a phase we’re going through.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:34 AM   #8
MAC71Cheyenne

I doesn't seem to get better as you get older. Supposed to be "retired" but it seem I have less time now than I did 20 years ago.
MAC71Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:44 AM   #9
BigBird05

You sound like you are burned out. I went thru that at 50+. I never wanted to see another car again. Fast forward 5 years and I am back into it with a 72 C-10.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:53 AM   #10
Grumpy old man

I work alone and with Mrs Grumpy 4 grown kids 3 grandkids spread out around Texas,North Carolina,Georgia,and Florida finding time has it's ups and downs
I have a few project trucks going on at the same time so that adds to it . I just decided to break it down to the separate systems of each truck. I start with the frame/ suspension then drive line , Brakes.Fuel And then project creep rears it's head and I find myself going back and making revisions to something I already considered done and reuse the parts on the next one . It's hard just keeping up with all the new / good reusable parts for each truck So by breaking it all down to the individual systems it keeps me going even at a slow pace things get done . Believe me I have those days when I'm just ready to sell off everything I have stashed away and just finish the 2 I'm deep into . But then I would have the space I don't have now and would be dragging home another one .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:58 AM   #11
57taskforce
All about them K’s

I’m younger than you buy close to 20 years so I really haven’t slowed down much physically yet but I do have 2 little ones, 6 and 4 with another on the way, as well as normally closer to 50 hour work weeks. It can get be hard to find the time and energy after a long day. One thing I like to do when possible is keep them running and driving as long and often as possible. If I can jump in my truck and drive it to town and back or go run errands in it on the weekends than I stay more motivated to keep plugging away at it. I’ve had my K20 and 3100 both down to the frame but I try to get them back running as quickly as possible so I can drive and stay motivated on them. At the same time there’s been instances when I just need a break and dont touch them for a month or even a couple months to focus on other things. It happens and it’s normal trust me. At the end of the day goals and planning are a huge part as well.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:11 AM   #12
72bowtiestepper

I retired a few years ago & I am happy that I kept my project truck that I bought quite a few yrs. ago. While I was working I did not have the time to do much on it , but did small projects to keep going on it...mostly on weekends.
Now that I am retired, I get all the time I need..Keeps me busy and active..as others have said..I enjoy working on projects as much as driving them.
One bit of advise....buy a vehicle you really like & desire for a project...If you want a certain year or model vehicle, don't settle for something else...you will lose interest quickly.
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:19 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

If it's a truck not on the road or not needed daily, just look at it as one thing at a time. Set your goal for the evening or weekend low and got at it with an "At least get this far" attitude. Set the goal lower and reach it, possibly more. Don't set yourself up for disappointment. Set yourself up for success, no matter how small.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:26 AM   #14
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I'm a bit lucky as I work from home for a software company and we been "working from home" for the last 5 years or so (been with this company for 11 years). Also our projects have not put us on-site in some time, COVID has made this acute this past year. Though by the summer I might be in Canberra, Australia for an extended period of time installing a new system for their parliament. It cannot really happen to soon, as I keep find stuff to do & buy for this darn truck of mine LOL

Working from home allows me to tinker in the garage early in the morning/lunch and get right too it when I call it a work day. Also when something pops into my mind or I make a mistake reading a new form post, I can check something out on the truck pretty much any time I want. This pretty much happen this week when I started reading about 12SI upgrades LOL

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:43 AM   #15
i82much

just do what you can and accept your limitations. the point is to enjoy yourself. when your truck is causing you more stress than enjoyment, take a break and worry about it later.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:45 AM   #16
zschary

50 plus here.. have my latest truck in my shop now and i am much better thinking about it and buying things for it then working on it.. I have worked on it though a bunch in the last few months.. My days are filled with the statement "i need to get this truck done" to the point that my family is sick of hearing about it .. Yet sometimes when i am under the dash or working on it i put the music on and just do it and "i think" i am enjoying myself.. You can also reflect on the years of the hobby or passion or whatever you want to call it.. I can't remember in my entire life not being focused on it, to my earliest memories reading every page of a PAW catalog.. I dont think we really have a choice, after this one, there will be another no matter what i say about it..
zschary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:59 PM   #17
ThreeQuarter

Lots of good advice above. I'm 45, so I can't say I know what what 50 feels like but I do know what it feels like to end the work week with nothing left in the tank, mentally. I feel a little guilty when I don't want to spend time doing the hobby I've already invested so much into. Among the good advice here that resonates with my experience, I'd have echo 67ChevyRedneck's advice about diet and exercise. My wife helped me see what cutting out sugar can do--overall it makes me more energetic and clear-headed and only my taste buds miss it. It has also helped me to do *something* every day/weekend even it's just sweeping or straightening up. These small habits have a way of building into something bigger over time.

All that being said, I also find it's not productive to push too hard to MAKE myself work on the project. I don't want to resent the green machine--the whole idea is for this hobby to be rewarding--so I wait until I have some motivation. If you have a job that flogs you some weeks, don't let guilt get you down if you need to take a weekend off from the hobby. If it's your hobby, it should be a rewarding challenge, not an obligation.
ThreeQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:12 PM   #18
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I would rather be in the shop or outside working than anything else in the world. I don't do TV but I am on here more than I should be. If I have a project or individual parts of a project I'm working on I often have to tell myself "just do it".

I have been working on old cars and trucks since I was 15 and have loved every minute of it. Sure I have had lag times when the kids were growing up and I was working every day.

This month I have been retired for 23 years and have spent a lot of time in the shop. Here is my secret, I buy project trucks that have already had the body work and paint done. I have "built" the following vehicles since I retired in 1998.

1967 Chevy BB short bed (White)
1972 GMC Long bed (Silver)
1971 Chevy Long bed (Red/White)
1969 Chevy Suburban Blue/White
1972 Chevy C30 Dually (blue)
1967 Chevy LS1 Panel Truck (Ochre Primer)
1971 Chevy 4x4 (Dark Blue)
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe (Light Blue)

All but the '71 Chevy long bed, '67 Chevy Panel Truck, and the '36 Ford Coupe have been project trucks I bought with body work & paint done.

I am working on 2 Trucks and one car at this time and have 6 old cars and trucks that I drive regularly. My wife and kids call me a workaholic. I know it will all end one of these days but until that time I'll see you in the shop...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:42 PM   #19
dmjlambert

It helped me a lot when I sold my modern car and only drive the 1969 Chevy truck. If I want to drive at all I better get out there and maintain it. That also motivates me to do comfort improvements and optional things in the truck, because I'm more interested in the truck when I get in it every day. And I have more money to spend on the truck when I don't have an expensive to buy/fix/insure/tag modern car, so some of the work can be outsourced to my favorite shade tree mechanic.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:45 PM   #20
yuccales

OP, I got ya by 10yrs, still work 40+ a week. I NEED these old trucks. Come Friday, I'm kinda wore out mentally/physically. I love to unwind doing something in the shop, whether on the trucks, cars, bike or property. I can take a simple 5 min dwell check and turn it into a two hour project if I want. It is therapy and darn relaxing! Definitely recharges my batteries!
yuccales is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:55 PM   #21
JT_Trucks87

I feel like this is a great topic to bring up, I have a son that just turned 14 months old. I used to be able to go out to the shop and tinker whenever I wanted and spend hours upon hours working on my projects. When my boy was born my free time drastically decreased along with my motivation to get anything done. I just try and be objective with my projects. Its much harder to stay motivated now but thankfully for the first time in a long time all of my trucks run and drive at once!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=804580

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=837441

Instagram: jt_trucks3500
JT_Trucks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:08 PM   #22
Beach-Burban

Wow ChevyRacefan...what a great item for discussion! I'm 65 and I just don't feel like the "go-getter" I used to be, even when I'm working on my '72 Suburban. My body (knees, back and hands mostly) just doesn't seem to hold up to most of the rigors of mechanical work anymore, so I end up handling smaller projects then "farm out" the bigger ones. That has gotten expensive, and now that I have collected the majority of parts needed and selected my Paint/Body guy, I sold a few vehicles to fund finishing the project. With the remainder of the work being done by someone else (a substantial outlay of cash, I'm sure), I find myself having doubts about moving forward...but I really want to complete my vision. Besides the money, I feel more unsure than ever in my life about what "our" future has in store for us...but not wanting to violate any Forum rules, I won't elaborate further! I'm 99% sure I'm moving ahead towards completion...but I seem to be dragging my feet just inches from the goal post! Your topic gave me the feeling that I am not alone on this subject...and I tip my hat to the youngsters that still have what it takes, as well as acknowledge the older guys that still manage to "Getter-done"!

Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:54 PM   #23
drewbert41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys_MB View Post
I’ve been having this problem, too. I have two little ones (10 months and 3 years) and my wife works nights, so I get up at least 2x a night on average.

What works for ME is that I try to spend a minimum of 5 minutes in the garage when I get the time. Sometimes I just sweep, sometimes I rearrange a shelf, and sometimes I start a new project. The way I look at it is that you have to build up the energy and make it a habit to get to work on your time off. I’ve been doing this for two weeks and I already find myself going down to the garage rather than watching tv because I enjoy making progress. Even if I just rearrange my toolbox, it’s something that needed to get done.
This right here. I've got two young kids about the same age and it has been on the back burner for a long time. Asked for all HF gift cards for Christmas and bought and installed some shop lighting for my garage. Since then I have been going out there at night working on making room to fit the truck in there instead of relaxing after everyone goes to bed. It is cold as hell and staying up late caught up with me last night. Sometimes I go out there and just sit on the mower and visualize. Turning on tunes helps get me goin though. Sitting there thinking of stuff got me to get around to securing the garage and lighting it up like the sun and it is a lot more appealing to go out and do stuff now.

Hang in there op. Do something small that will make a difference in your motivation to be out there in the first place.

Edit: I have a 20x20 garage with a bunch of stuff in it already and a longbed truck to somehow fit in it. Looking at some of the build threads from people with small garages was motivating to make me figure out how to make mine work.

Last edited by drewbert41; 01-09-2021 at 05:07 PM.
drewbert41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:19 PM   #24
LS short box

I'm retired now but used to have a fairly high stress sales job. Worked for the same company for 36 years. Lots of travel in the US and around the world. Working on my hot rods was a huge stress reliver for me. When I was out in the shop doing something it kept my mind off the next work project. Sometimes it was pulling an engine. Sometimes it was sharpening the lawn mower blades.
The company I used to work for I was a service tech for the first 10 years. The hours and travel were intense. Traveled on Sunday to be in the plant on Monday. Minimum 12 hour days and travel home late Friday. Don't get me wrong the money was great. It allowed my wife and I to pay cash for our second home and both of us to retire at 59. But after a few years of that I had to talk to my boss and say this is too much. We made some changes with more time off the road.
To the OP maybe its time to back off on the hours if that's possible.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:53 PM   #25
72c20customcamper

Going to be 62 in April. Today I put new pads and rotors on my winter car outside in the driveway . Was 31° and I wont have to ice my hand later. Why is it I always need to fix the dailies whens its winter?! I also replaced the starter on my 72 in the barn at least I had the parabolic heater on me still cold but no frostbite .

It was also an excuse to use the heated socks I got for Christmas. Work on 9v batteries and my feet were toasty . Going to try them tomorrow splitting wood .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote