The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2021, 08:40 PM   #1
conoco

Anyone help with a plan of attack for body panels

I need recommendations on a plan of attack to fix my rockers and floor pan. Looks like the PO added some patch panels at some point and riveted them in. I ordered inner and out rockers and also the floor braces. As you can see in the picture I only need the sections that hook into the rockers replaced. I write brushed everything just to see how far up the rust went. Luckily the entire braces dont need to be replaced which is awesome. I am wondering if I should just replace everything while I am doing it. The metal is good though. The inner rockers are shot though and small sections of the outters which both will be replaced. The floor pans look like they have been patched and sealed at some point, looking under my truck though the original flood boards only have a couple small spots that were eaten through, I used a hammer and the rest was solid. I'm not sure the best way to remove the floor pan patches. Again, the have been riveted in so any help with how to attack would be awesome. I knownits hard to tell from pictures but the floor braces are really solid from the cab mounts until about 3 inches from the inner rocker .

I guess what I'm asking is should I start from the floor braces out? Or should I put the inner rocker floor extension in and fitted, then the cab floor braces, followed by the outlet rockers, and then the floor pans? Everything metal wise looks really good other then some minor spots. My A pillars are good along with the kick panels. The passengers side isnt that bad and I will start with that first. Then move to the drivers side.

Just looking for some suggestions from those of you that have done this work and what was best. I will take plenty of measurement and be certain before I cut and fit everything. Thank you.
Attached Images

Last edited by LockDoc; 01-10-2021 at 10:47 AM.
conoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:53 AM   #2
Peanut74

Re: Anyone help with a plan of attack for body panels

I asked the very same question when I was working on my cab. If you type in "Order of rust repair" in the search bar you see what people told me. (Sorry don't know how to link my thread to your post) Basically I worked from the inside out. IE: Cut out the bad parts of the floor pan and fix those. Then the side kick panel and A-pillar. Then the rockers. Hope this helps.
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
1976 Chevy short bed with a 327 and 3 on the tree (Sold it to buy the Blazer)
1971 Chevy Blazer (Sold it)
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:52 PM   #3
landarts
landarts

For the order in which to do the repairs I would start with pulling off the rockers first to see if anything else reveals. Meaning sometimes when the rocker is pulled off it will reveal that A-Pillar and b-Pillar bottom sections can have rust also. After pulling off the rockers, then remove the portion of the inner rocker that is needed to do that repair. Usually I do the inner rocker-outer floor replacement part install then the rocker. Then move onto the floor parts and the braces. If there are floor sections that are bad under bad braces then I do the braces first the floor section.

Here is a great post on how to replace a rocker by an excellent craftsman.
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=271066
Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:38 PM   #4
hugger6933

Cut off the rockers then the floor patches. Then that way you can tell how much more patching you need on the floor after the inner rocker section is put in. what I use is the inner rocker with the floor panel that goes into the floor a couple three inches and goes from the toe board to back panel You will need to drill out the spot welds on the back panel where the inner goes and add three or so inches on each side for room. I get everything out of the way to fit in the inner rocker screw it down then take either the plasma cutter or die grinder and run right along that edge. If you have a good fit you end up with a nice weldable gap to weld the inner onto the floor also mark out your cab mounts so you can plug weld the mount in. I hope this helps. Good luck and happy welding. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:40 PM   #5
conoco

You guys are awesome, that's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you.
conoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:04 PM   #6
drewbert41

Keep cutting away and post more pics!

My cousin lives in Eagle River. Small world!
drewbert41 is offline   Reply With Quote