The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
Raiburn

Info please on 69 Longhorn Camper Special

Hello, everyone. I'm new here and I don't know a lot about trucks. It's just time to think about selling my dad's Chevy that I've known since 1969 when he bought it new when I was a senior in high school so that he could take his family camping in a brand new, shiny camper that needed such a special truck.

I think it must be a pretty special, if not rare, edition of a Longhorn. It's a CST20 Camper Special with a 350 V8. But what I haven't seen in any pictures yet in any research I've done so far is that my dad's pickup has fancy details in the vinyl trim in the cab along the doors and the vinyl seats--trim that looks like designs in leather. It looked really luxurious in its day for a truck.

I don't know how to determine its value today. It's still got the original motor. It's mileage is around 125,000. The body is worn, a few rusted out spots near the bottom on one side. It runs fine; it's been an old faithful truck for business and personal use for all these years. So where do I go now for more information, or do any of you have knowledge of the kind of Longhorn I'm describing?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Raiburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
dan42

Re: Info please on 69 Longhorn Camper Special

I don't know if we can put a value on it for you, it sounds like a solid truck, but some pictures would be nice. That would help. It's gonna take the right person because Longhorns are a little different. Big block loaded shortbeds are generally worth the most, but I would start with looking at Craigslist for trucks that are similar to yours and see what they are going for. Remember that sentimental value doesn't mean much to anyone except you. I sold a Longhorn a year ago, original paint, some rust, but a fair amount of options, big block and auto, in decent shape, for $1800.
Posted via Mobile Device
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
SS Tim

Short version.
The Longhorn pickup was a longer, potentially heavy duty truck. They were all built on the 1-ton C30 frame with a 133" wheelbase vs the normal 127"wb lighter frame found under 8' pickups. The bed was extended 6" at the front to allow a camper to load more weight forward. The base springs were either a C20 3/4-ton or C30 1-ton. There were lots of spring options from minimual to heavy duty.
CST means the truck has the highest trim level offered in 69 and is called a Custom Sport Truck.
There was a Custom Camper nameplate but if your fenders say CST/20 you don't have it.
At this point the best place to start is with the options. These are found on the inside of the glove box door, the sticker is known as a SPID.
So post up a picture/s if you can and we will give more of a rundown. Actually pictures of the truck are welcome as well.
On a final note to value or sell your truck here you must be a subscriber. However clearing up technial questions is no problem.
Welcome to the board.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan42 View Post
... I sold a Longhorn a year ago, original paint, some rust, but a fair amount of options, big block and auto, in decent shape, for $1800.
OK Dan, how did I miss this? Was it advertised in the classified section?
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:04 AM   #5
Raiburn

I do intend to take some pictures. I didn't know I could post them on this forum. So I can do this and is there a limit?
Raiburn is offline   Reply With Quote