The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #1
1971ChevyTruck

Help get my wife off my back

Okay heres the story. I went to put my daughters booster seat in my truck and my wife freaked out on me. She doesn't like the fact that I only have a lap belt to secure the seat. Does any one know of an add on harness or something? Whats the best way to secure those thing with only a lap belt??
1971ChevyTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
DavesRide

Re: Help get my wife off my back

I had to either put my five year in a car seat with a three point harness held by lap belt or a three point seat belt. I found a S10 retractor and buckle at the junk yard and only had to customize the outer floor mount. The other two points have proper mounting holes. I just thown in his booster seat and buckle him in and off we go.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:09 PM   #3
crews
It just doesn't matter

Child booster seats are designed to be secured with a lap belt. If you use a shoulder harness, you have to use the metal adapter to keep the seat belt from trying to twist the safety seat into the middle of the vehicle.

When my kids were little, they were ALWAYS in their booster seat in the middle seat with just a lap belt. ( a trick to make sure they are good and tight, is to put your knee in the seat when cinching the lap belt so it is good and snug.)

As long as you have the lap belt snug and the seat isn't moving around, there is no safety issue with just using a lap belt. Just make sure you use the restraining harness in the booster seat for the kid!!

Your wife should have no issue as long as the seat is secure.

If you don't like me- TAKE A NUMBER; There are people ahead of you!!
crews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
Luvlegs

Most of the child seats, when installed in the rear seat, facing the rear, are only attached with a lap belt - in the center is safer to me than at either door. IF the seat is facing forward, the child seats usually have a belt off the top that connects to either a spot in the back window behind the seat top or down to the crack in the seats. IF you want to make sure all is good and get a blessing, take it to a fire house and get their advice.

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvlegs View Post
Most of the child seats, when installed in the rear seat, facing the rear, are only attached with a lap belt - in the center is safer to me than at either door. IF the seat is facing forward, the child seats usually have a belt off the top that connects to either a spot in the back window behind the seat top or down to the crack in the seats. IF you want to make sure all is good and get a blessing, take it to a fire house and get their advice.
This is what I was thinking. In a car kids are to be in the back seat according to some state laws. If she continues to get crazy about the truck seat belt...throw a fit when she is using the rear lap belt in her car!

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
DavesRide

To be sure I called the Highway Patrol Headquarters. The kids have to be in a three point harness whether it be in the car seat or just a booster seat with car belt here in good ol' Missouri until they are at least the age of seven or seventy pounds. It may be 8 and 80 but we aren't close yet either way.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
1971ChevyTruck

The booster seat we have is made to have a shoulder bet and lap belt. In the instructions it says that if you just use a lap belt they can fly right out of the darn thing. I have tried to be a smart azz and put one of my racing four point harnesses in the truck...we'll see what she says about that..
Old 02-17-2008, 09:20 PM   #8
Huck

Simply take the time to explain the facts to your wife as most women don't understand mechanical stuff. Show her the location of the gas tank in the cab, show her the filler neck pertruding out the drivers side as a kind of gas vapor wick in the case of an accident!! Then show her the many safety features of the truck like the deeply padded dash, the lack of dangerous air bags, etc. By the time you're done, you wouldn't have to worry about taking your daughter in the truck---or for that matter, your wife, dog, cat, or any other living thing!
Actually these trucks are not very safe for a child and I would be caucious as they really are a fire bomb waiting for an accident.!!!!!!

Up to XX lbs and XX inches, a child must be in a rear facing seat that can mount with a stock lap belt. Over that size, you can use a front facing seat but most have a top clasp the secures the seat from flipping forward. You could probably clip the seat to the back of your bench seat but have no clue as to it's ability to handle an accident.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:56 PM   #9
brad_man_72
the boat guy

duct tape cild safety seat to roof of truck. no problem!
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:14 PM   #10
caminokid
Chevy nut

God no! Dont show her where the gas tank is! She will flip out then!

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:32 PM   #11
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

How in the world did we survived our childhood in the years before all the laws and regulations....

I guess those country roads weren't as full of maniacs driving crazy...
I remember driving down the road in the back of dad's pickup with my little brothers all seated on the bed...

Dad's only requirement: Stay seated on the floor bed! If we stood up, he would stop the truck and we would have to ride in front with him and mom...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:00 PM   #12
alfeefish

What year s10 seatbelt will fit our trucks?
alfeefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:41 PM   #13
89 crew

I asked a count sheriff about the booster seats just the other day. But let me start at the beginning. One late night while scouring the net I found an article by the national highway safety council. The article was about Child booster seats and lap belts. according to the article when a child is in a wreck with just a lap belt they are much more likely to be injured if they are in a booster! The research came back as the best action if all the vehicle has is a lap belt is forget the booster seat! My question to the Sheriff was what should I do? I have not been driving my Cadillac as a family car because it doesn't have shoulder belts, and if I follow what the research says he would be writing me a ticket for no safety seats. He told me I need to get a print out of that article and keep it in my car, forget the booster seats and show the article to any officer that has a problem. He said the Sheriffs department wouldn't bother anyone unless the kids were up jumping around the car. Now this was just one cop and I haven't had the opportunity to check with all the other law enforcement around this area. In reality the booster seat laws are another area where legislation has gone crazy.
89 crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:52 PM   #14
Premium72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
How in the world did we survived our childhood in the years before all the laws and regulations....

I guess those country roads weren't as full of maniacs driving crazy...
I remember driving down the road in the back of dad's pickup with my little brothers all seated on the bed...

Dad's only requirement: Stay seated on the floor bed! If we stood up, he would stop the truck and we would have to ride in front with him and mom...
becuase people werent Fughn safety Nazi's like they are today. Because one JackA$s didnt think an messed up 10 years ago the entire population of the country has to pay cuase the goverments got no balls when someone gets all sue happy. the lap belt is more than enough to secure the seat. Just be safe and lets hope all the other a$Shole$ on the road are as well. ,
Premium72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:36 AM   #15
odog

My girls' boosters have a strap that goes from the top back of their chair over the back of the seat and clips to a sturdy anchor point on the floor of the cab. I use the lap belt and just cinch it down with me knees, after I cinch the strap in the back.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:56 AM   #16
corn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Simply take the time to explain the facts to your wife as most women don't understand mechanical stuff. Show her the location of the gas tank in the cab, show her the filler neck pertruding out the drivers side as a kind of gas vapor wick in the case of an accident!! Then show her the many safety features of the truck like the deeply padded dash, the lack of dangerous air bags, etc. By the time you're done, you wouldn't have to worry about taking your daughter in the truck---or for that matter, your wife, dog, cat, or any other living thing!
Actually these trucks are not very safe for a child and I would be caucious as they really are a fire bomb waiting for an accident.!!!!!!

Up to XX lbs and XX inches, a child must be in a rear facing seat that can mount with a stock lap belt. Over that size, you can use a front facing seat but most have a top clasp the secures the seat from flipping forward. You could probably clip the seat to the back of your bench seat but have no clue as to it's ability to handle an accident.

If one of these trucks blew up everytime someone said they did, there wouldnt be any trucks left. Never seen one explode yet. Do vehicles get broadsided more than rear ended? Those blazer tanks look a little dangerous to me way back there by the bumper. ...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:05 AM   #17
Premium72

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn View Post
If one of these trucks blew up everytime someone said they did, there wouldnt be any trucks left. Never seen one explode yet. Do vehicles get broadsided more than rear ended? Those blazer tanks look a little dangerous to me way back there by the bumper. ...
+a billion..
Premium72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:43 AM   #18
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesRide View Post
To be sure I called the Highway Patrol Headquarters. The kids have to be in a three point harness whether it be in the car seat or just a booster seat with car belt here in good ol' Missouri until they are at least the age of seven or seventy pounds. It may be 8 and 80 but we aren't close yet either way.
No state, county, city, or local ordinance is permitted to require you to update ANYTHING on your car. There are federal laws in place to PROTECT you... otherwise, they'd have us installing air bags and ABS. It is actually against federal law to upgrade safety equipment unless it is designed specificly for said aplication. But no one understands that, nor enforces it, till some one gets hurt rom your upgrades, then the lawyers bring it up.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:13 AM   #19
DavesRide

Longhorn Man, I am not disagreeing with you but my truck did not come with seat belts. The PO put in a drivers lap belt. I can tell by fasteners it is not original. In the state of Missouri, children under a certain weight and age gotta be in seatbelt of some form or another, regardless. I have read the legal pages to find out and I neither want to get a ticket or have my precious cargo go out the windshield when some idiot pulls out in front of me. My son totally digs riding in the old truck and hangin' his arm out the window just like good ol' Dad. It doesn't have to have seat belts, but he can't ride without one and I don't like to be without mine either. Riding without my belt on kinda feels like walking outside naked to me. Well maybe like grinding without saftey glasses on. I hear what you are saying though. David
Old 02-18-2008, 05:21 AM   #20
Longhorn Man

your truck 'originally' came with 2 seat belts if its the one in your avatar. All 67 - 72 trucks came with a seat belt left and right, unless it was opted with only one bucket seat, then it only came with the belt on the left.
I agree on not butting heads with the local boys in blue, even if you are right, it just causes problems later.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:54 AM   #21
1971ChevyTruck

Wow never had so many replies to a single post...thanks for everyone sharing their feelings and information...all of this because of my wife... I called Illinois State police today...they said in Illinois a lap belt won't cut it for a booster seat unless its a booster seat with a 5 point harness and you have that secured with the lap belt and the strap on the back of the car seat. The booster seats with the 5 point harness take up too much room on the bench seat. So here are the two options I found..I found a cheap four point harness and use the simpson racing booster or I am going to suck it up and use the simpson racing booster with the 5 point harness. Either way my daughter is excited, I make the wife happy and its the only way I keep the pink car seat out of my truck..
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2008, 06:27 AM   #22
Shane
Account Suspended

Heck, my old man used to make us ride in the back ... no shoes ... no shirts.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:41 AM   #23
sick69

I'm in the same boat Shane. For that matter in the winter we used to use an old car/truck hood tied with a 30foot rope behind a truck for a sled. It's amazing how many people you can fit on a 59 apache hood.
sick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:01 AM   #24
Mike C

Check this thread in the Blazer section. No booster, but its design has the kid in the right spot with the belts which is what the boosters job does. Constabulary might grieve you, but on Co.'s website they say have them for passenger cars.
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...=1#post2583085
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:23 AM   #25
Longhorn Man

you might want to talk to the state police about installing a 4 point harness.... and if they turn a blind eye to it, you need to make sire they are installed correctly. If it isn't done right (pretty much need a roll bar) it will compress your spine and make you wish you kissed the dash in a wreck.