The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2021, 01:30 AM   #1
Ptjsk

Windshield wiper motor.

It finally started to rain here in Northern California.

Windshield wipers worked "ok" but not great by any means.

I get about 50 miles from home and they just suddenly stop. Had to drive home looking through the rain pattern.

After testing the motor, it would hang up when turning to high speed, and subsequently blow a fuse.

Decided to replace the wiper motor. Holy crap!! What a frigging job! I think I would just as soon pull the engine, rather than do another wiper motor!

Damn....cowl, instrument panel, radio, ashtray, and most all AC vent hoses had to come out. Fortunately, I haven't replaced the glove box liner yet, or that too would have had to come out. Can't hardly move around under the dash at all. This was not a fun venture!!

Finally have most of it back together. Just have the cowl to place back onto the Jimmy tomorrow.

One thing is certain.....when I rebuild the stepside, that one is getting a new wiper motor before going back together.

Pat
Ptjsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:35 AM   #2
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Re: Windshield wiper motor.

Those OEM screws affixing the motor to the coal are often rusty too and the last time I removed a motor one I snapped one in two. No fun. Best to plan to lube the transmission arms, have a replacement clip available for the transmission arms to motor arm as these often break, change out the grommet at the cowl, and change the rubber motor mount cushions while in there. Good time to add a cowl screen also.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:59 PM   #3
Ptjsk

Re: Windshield wiper motor.

Hey Pete,
Once again, I found myself to be extremely fortunate. This rig was extremely clean and very little rust. The screws came out absent any issue at all. Man....I would have hated to have to deal with a broken screw!

Also, I did lube the arms, put in a new seal and as the picture shows....I did place a screen on the underside of the cowl prior to replacement.

Sure am happy I'm finished with the job. Plus, the wipers work 100% better!

Pat
Attached Images

Ptjsk is offline   Reply With Quote