The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Member Dealings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
plainred65

Thumbs up 1963c-10 *resolved*

Don't understand why this deal turned bad. Last summer I bought a front bumper from Jon and no problem. Nice bumper, I strip, paint and install on my 65.

My original tank has a very slight leak. Jon tells me he has a low mile clean tank. Send a check for the tank and I get one sent to me that is extremely rusty inside. Phone call to Jon and he tells me he just looked down the filler neck but didn't pull the sending unit. Story jives because it does appear clean just looking down the neck. He'll send me another.

Get that one in and it looks great inside. At this point I don't get around to fooling with it for a month or two, I'm very busy at work this time of year. Tank sits in the bed except when I use my truck, which is not often at this point with the tank seeping and stinking. I finally get around to swapping the tank, when I have it in place I fill it with fuel. Guess what happens now, it leaks badly! My original has a very slow seep, not even a drip. This one has a fast drip.

I call Jon to tell him the bad news, he says it didn't leak when pulled and must have been the shipper. Infers that if I would have let him know sooner he could have recouped his money from the shipper. I say how would you ever convince them that the tank didn't leak when shipped and also there is no sign of shipping damage.

We go back and forth a bit through the pm system and come to an agreement that he will send me my $80 for the tank and split the shipping of $40 with me. Will send me a total of $100 and asks if that's ok with me. I tell him that works for me. The last pm he answered is 11-09-12 when he tells me he gets paid beginning of the month and that's when he'll send me a check.

Nothing comes early Dec. and I hate to bother him around the holidays so I keep quiet. Early Jan. still no money. Jan. 1, I write and ask about money and tell him I didn't want to bug him over Christmas. No reply.

Jan. 5, another note. No reply. Try to call him at number I've talked to him quite a few times, all good talks, and number has been changed.

Thinking maybe he's away for awhile because he's no longer posting to the site. I catch him online on the 22nd and send him a note telling him I understand if cash is tight but he needs to contact me either pm or by phone, I also include my cell#. No reply.

Jan. 23rd I send him a note telling him if I don't hear from him I'm going to post about this. I waited till I noticed him online again and todays the day. So here it is. I've been patient but enough is enough. Jon tells me that he's never had a problem with a part before, but if this is the first time it's no excuse to not take care of business.
plainred65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
towbar

Location: Marshall, NC....heart of the Appalachians.....aka, Gods country!!
Re: 1963c-10

First of all I don’t know you or 1963C-10, and maybe I'm playing the devils advocate here but sounds like he did the right thing with you by replacing the first tank. You made the time to inspect the first tank when you received it and were Johnny on the spot when calling out the rust in it, and since you had an issue with the first tank I would think you would be just as investigative with the second one however it was a couple months before you contacted him. Lots of things can happen in a couple months from stuff sitting around.

When I sell stuff on eBay, my policy it to inspect the item and contact me within 10 days if there is a problem....after that, it’s yours. Some people even get buyers remorse and want a refund.

I had a brand new ATV gas can that I purchased from an online dealer, it sat for about 4 months before we went on our big ride, it had a mfg defect in it and seeped gas but was out past the 90 day warranty...so tuff stuff, I had to eat it!!! Was it their fault I didn’t check it out and return it in the 90 days....nope, it was my fault, for procrastinating.

Did you return the first rusty gas tank to 1963C-10? Did you return the second tank??

Typically folk’s don’t warranty used parts forever, I mean these parts are approaching 50 years old. Most salvage yards only give you 30-45 days to return anything.

If you and 1963C-10 agreed on a refund for the price of the tank and half the shipping then he should have followed through. At the same time, and I mean no offense here, but I feel you are equally to blame as well for not inspecting the part and getting in touch with him soon. Just my take on it??
towbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
plainred65

towbar, I agree I should have installed the tank quicker. My mistake. But I got it, checked it out immediately for rust and never would have figured it to leak. Problem to me is, the first tank should never have been sent in the first place, how can you ship a tank that looks like it came out of the bottom of the river and tell me it's cherry? I mean really, you gotta do better then that. Mistake on Jon's part. Also if the second tank would have been the first tank (which it should have), the leak would have been discovered sooner. Also, a tank doesn't develop a leak while sitting in a clean, dry environment. I'm sure on E-bay you have a policy listed, here there was none.

Believe me, I think Jon is a decent guy. But don't tell me you're gonna take care of it and then stop contact. Just tell me what's on your mind.

As far as returning the bad tanks, we talked of that. Who wants to invest $40 per tank to ship something that's not worth having? Neither of us. I've got these things and my scrap yard wants me to burn holes in them so I can get rid of them.

Last edited by plainred65; 01-31-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

can you please provide a link to the original sale post? thanks
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

He said he'd do something and now he isn't. He probably figured (conveniently) that since there was no communication from early Nov till well past when he said he'd pay that he was off the hook. Can't rely on high integrity these days. It took enough to say he'd do what he did,but you gave him the impression (I think) that it was no big deal by leaving him alone for so long.Not saying he's right,but communication is everything in such cases. You should have maintained contact,even with nothing new happening. You thought this and that,then found out different. Let him know what you think,don't just think it.
"Hi Jon, It's near the end of the month. Let me know when the money is on it's way...Thanks"

"Dear Jon, I know the holidays are coming up fast. And,I know money gets tight. I'm wondering if this is why I haven't received the money you committed to sending. Please let me know something...thanks"

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
plainred65

Liz, here is the link to the add for the truck Jon was parting out.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=518870

There is no mention of the gas tank however as this was done through the pm system and over the phone. This has become obvious to me when you asked for a link to the post that I have no proof that this exchange even occurred. If this is against policy to complain about a purchase made back channel as it was, then I apologize.

Special-k Thanks for commenting on this, and I think you may be right that Jon was hoping this had gone away. I felt that I had made it obvious that this was a big deal to me as there were many long and somewhat heated exchanges of pm's on this where we both gave our side of the story. Eventually I gave up and asked for just the tank money willing to forsake the $40 shipping just to get my tank money back and to close this out. Jon agreed to this and offered to split the shipping if I agreed. On this I give him credit for offering the extra money I had already stated I was willing to live without so we could walk away on good terms. I think I was too trusting in thinking we had it all ironed out and that Jon would come through. I hated to be a pest around Christmas and thought I would give him an extra month. When no money came early Jan. I started writing again. Remember he only gets paid once a month near the beginning of each month. I reasoned Dec. was a wash on account of Christmas and would wait to see what happens in Jan.

I deleted all of my earlier posts on this to make room. I count 13 still left that I sent on the subject of the second tank alone. My mistake if I thought I was clear that I wanted restitution. I know it's only a small amount of money, but I have strong feelings about principles and Jon seemed to be a stand up guy. If he would have made good, I would have posted a glowing review of this transaction. In my mind you really see a sellers worth when he comes through on a deal turns sour. That's what separates the really good from the so-so.

Last edited by plainred65; 02-02-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainred65 View Post
Liz, here is the link to the add for the truck Jon was parting out.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=518870

There is no mention of the gas tank however as this was done through the pm system and over the phone. This has become obvious to me when you asked for a link to the post that I have no proof that this exchange even occurred. If this is against policy to complain about a purchase made back channel as it was, then I apologize.

No, but it is why we ask that members do not use PM sales. Nothing we can do to "help" if it is. I am sorry you cant get up with him and straighten it out.

He is still active on the site Last Activity: Yesterday 09:08 AM
I will link this to him and ask that he reply
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
plainred65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
No, but it is why we ask that members do not use PM sales.
Lesson learned, thanks for the help. Would have preferred not to have aired this out publicly.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
1963c-10

There is a liitle more involved than what was posted here. 1st, there were two sellers involved and one has since moved to CA in the ARMY. The 2nd issues are personal and I dont care to explain my family issues here. I do admit that we dropped the ball on this one. Payment is awaiting an address from plainred65 and the issue will be resolved. I will add that pics were sent of both tanks the 1st even being in the truck. We did not inspect the inside of the tank prior to selling as we did not know there were any issues. We sent the second tank from a members truck here which came out of a daily driver and had no issues. Somewhere between NC and PA it evidently took some damage which was notified to us a few months later. We are issuing a refund to Dan for the tank.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
plainred65

Thumbs up Re: 1963c-10

Wanted to let everyone know that 1963c-10 came through on this issue. I was refunded the full amount, which is more than we agreed upon. Anyone who buys parts sent across the country knows this is not always the case.

For taking care of me Jon deserves a lot of credit, it would have been much easier for him to do nothing. It's when thing turn sour that you really see what someone is made of.

Now if a moderator could please get rid of the earlier thumbs down I would appreciate this.