The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2021, 01:32 PM   #1
Paul Y

OH NO! Not another rear shock relocation thread...

Oh Boy have I spent a lot of time looking at pictures of rear shocks over the past day and, I am no further forward.

So here is the dilemma. I have a NoLimits Panhard bar kit that requires the removal of the old mount and installation of the new with a number of bolts.

You can sort of see what I mean here.

I am also mounting my shocks outside of the chassis - pretty obvious if you look at the above.

The problem I am facing is that the bolts holding the mount on interfere with the shock. If I turn them around so the nuts are on the inside they then interfere with the Panhard bar.

My question is this.

How far back can the shocks be leant before they become ineffective OR... Have I made a complete hash of this and done too all wrong?

Any advice, comments and roasting gladly received.

Thanks!

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:22 PM   #2
Jackson's Dad 64 C10

Re: OH NO! Not another rear shock relocation thread...

I have the same panhard rod from No Limit. I also bought their shock relocation kit, which makes everything line up perfectly. No pics on my phone, but the shock kit brings the shock mount above the frame rail in the same location as your relocated shock. They aren’t too expensive, iirc. The truck isn’t together so I can’t comment on how it handles.
Jackson's Dad 64 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:30 PM   #3
pdxhall

Here's how I did mine. Very close to what you've done except i drilled into the frame further forward so the shocks are almost vertical.
Attached Images

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 04:54 PM   #4
Paul Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson's Dad 64 C10 View Post
I have the same panhard rod from No Limit. I also bought their shock relocation kit, which makes everything line up perfectly. No pics on my phone, but the shock kit brings the shock mount above the frame rail in the same location as your relocated shock. They aren’t too expensive, iirc. The truck isn’t together so I can’t comment on how it handles.
I made a mount that brought the shock up above the frame rail but after looking at the shock stoke wanted to see if it would be better placed on the chassis rail.

Problem is that both ways it still hits the bolts on the mount. I can elongate the hole in the lower shock mount to move the shock closer to the tyre so giving me more clearance but that then 'twists' the shock on the urethane bush. Not saying that is wrong but it doesn't look... right.

I would prefer to avoid paying out the $180-200 for the mount plus the shipping and duty to the UK but it is a nice bit of kit - maybe I will have to take a look down the back of the sofa and see what loose change I can find.

P.

Old 05-24-2021, 05:10 PM   #5
Paul Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
Here's how I did mine. Very close to what you've done except i drilled into the frame further forward so the shocks are almost vertical.
Ah HA!

This is why I love forums rather than Farcebook because of this.

Got so excited I went out to the shed to see if it would work and...Yup! Will need to trim the control arm or turn the shock upside down for clearance

HUZZAH!!!!!!

Better check on the other side.

Oh...Sausages.

How did you mount the passenger side?

Actually just had a thought, maybe turn the shock 'upside down' but not a huge fan of that as the shaft will be fully exposed to the debris being thrown up by the wheels. Always some sort of shock cover I suppose...

Mmm... Anyway, over to you lot.

Thanks!

P.