The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2021, 02:11 PM   #101
Paul Y

Re: 1964 C10 Survivor

Subscribed.

Nice work.

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 05:14 PM   #102
Low Elco

Looks great!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:30 AM   #103
caseyjones

Thanks for the compliments! Paul, your truck is close cousin to mine - I'm watching your build too.
I got my paint from NAPA...it's close-ish. The old paint is so thin that it looks grayer from the black primer showing through. Sorry for all these garage pictures, I promise the truck does get driven. Anyway, since I took this pic I've painted the rocker too.

I primed the new bed wood and ordered new strips and a bolt kit after realizing that the original stuff would look terrible against the new wood, and the time it would take to replace the bolts and fix the strips isn't worth it.

Wheels are now expected to arrive at the Summit warehouse on August 4. Is Wheel Vintiques just completely shut down? Good news is that my hubcaps didn't fly off at the first expansion joint that I hit.

My modified Speedway fuel sender is acting up - intermittently operating. I'm thinking about getting a tube-type sender instead.

On an unrelated note, my Mom sent me this picture of my Great-great-step-Grandma (I think that's right)...she and my Great-great grandfather owned a general store in Powersville, Iowa. My best guess is that's a 1934 Chevrolet.

Last edited by caseyjones; 03-29-2021 at 01:16 AM.
caseyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:42 AM   #104
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

A tip/trick to make the new paint blend is to paint black then thin coat of your green. Hit it lightly with a scotch brite to take the shine down. There's a red truck in these forums that did a great faux to match his original red.
I'll see if I can find the thread.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:01 PM   #105
Paul Y

Mr Jones was thinking exactly the same! The colours are very close and I have the same cream wheels - only real difference is that yours is in one piece!

Look forward to the next instalment.

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:18 AM   #106
caseyjones

Been tinkering on the truck a little more...
Installed a new Autoline rebuilt carburetor purchased through Rockauto.com and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. When i started tearing down the old carb for a rebuild, I noticed a lot of play in the throttle shaft/bores, and the shaft had come loose from the lever. That explained the erratic and high idle RPM. I removed the airhorn gasket and put the airhorn and bowl together and could see through the gap between them. The old carb was a Holley rebuild with a 2007 date code. Can't believe how hammered it was. New carb works great, truck starts like it should, runs like it should. I also fixed a bad ground on the fuel level sender so that's working well again.
I also painted and installed my bed wood. I chose to mill the wood myself, but I think I'd just pony up for a kit next time. I am just not patient enough with wood and I just don't have the right tools. I used a creeper that my wife and daughter got me for Christmas a lot during this project - it made the maneuvering under the bed, tightening the bolts really pretty easy.

I found an old cooler on CL and decided that it would look pretty cool in the back of the truck. i took it apart and insulated it with polystyrene foam board, thinking it might help more than the original fiberglass batt. It's a Wards Western Field model cooler. Well-used up but fits the theme of the truck. I took off the 90's radio station stickers and plan to add a few vintage stickers of my own.

I installed some Noico sound deadening mat in the doors and on the back cab wall. and it seems to help, I'll have to pull out the seat to do the floors next.
My wheels are backordered until August now, but the painted rally wheels pass for now. I've been cruising around and enjoying the mild spring we've been having.

Old 05-02-2021, 11:28 AM   #107
LostMy65

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
A tip/trick to make the new paint blend is to paint black then thin coat of your green. Hit it lightly with a scotch brite to take the shine down. There's a red truck in these forums that did a great faux to match his original red.
I'll see if I can find the thread.
I forget to mention. You can get a local paint store to mix up that color in oil base enamel. It'll fade easy and blend in with the original paint. You can also put it on with a fine foam roller. Mix it thin and do several coats.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 05-05-2021, 09:39 AM   #108
caseyjones

Quote:
I forget to mention. You can get a local paint store to mix up that color in oil base enamel. It'll fade easy and blend in with the original paint. You can also put it on with a fine foam roller. Mix it thin and do several coats.
I did wet sand a little bit to see if I could hide the new paint and it worked OK. I got the paint in spray cans from the NAPA paint store...the manager there mixed it by eyeball. It’s good enough for me for now. I would like to strip and repaint the interior at some point but I’m enjoying having it on the road right now.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:18 AM   #109
roll_the_dice

Just went through your entire build. I really like what you have done..and more importantly...you drive it when you can! Keep the progress coming!
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:30 AM   #110
88Stanger

Love the work, the bed is awesome!!! Great job.
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:52 AM   #111
LostMy65

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones View Post
I did wet sand a little bit to see if I could hide the new paint and it worked OK. I got the paint in spray cans from the NAPA paint store...the manager there mixed it by eyeball. It’s good enough for me for now. I would like to strip and repaint the interior at some point but I’m enjoying having it on the road right now.
You notice it because you know where it is. Looking at the overall truck, most likely nobody else will.

66 C20 Service Truck:
Old 05-10-2021, 10:10 PM   #112
caseyjones

Quote:
You notice it because you know where it is. Looking at the overall truck, most likely nobody else will.
Yeah, you're probably right. I'm way too critical of my own work in general. Thanks for the compliments guys. It's really a good truck now.

My latest update isn't very photogenic. I built my own version of twouvakind's wiper delay module and installed it today. I mounted the extra knob in one of the stock holes in the bottom of the dash, it kinda fades away down there. I love these little hidden convenience updates that make driving the truck so much better.

I filled up for the first time after the carb swap. MPG went from 9 to 14. I think the carb will pay for itself soon.

I also ordered a new seat cover set - the vinyl that's in there now split along the seam on the edge of the seat and had a hole in it. I ordered the set from Classic Industries, I can't tell if it's one of the Acme kits or if it's done by someone else. It's so hard to know what it really looks like online, so we'll see when it gets here. I realize now I probably should have ordered new armrests while I was at it.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:02 PM   #113
caseyjones

The truck came with a gray vinyl-covered seat that was really in pretty good shape. One small tear on the left side, a rust stain from a paint can, and a protective layer of cigarette tar and dirt. i cleaned it up and it was holding up pretty well, but then the vinyl tore at the seam along the left side and the tear just kept growing.

I decided that I should replace the cover before the foam started to get damaged, so I ordered the beige/tan vinyl and cloth combo through Classic Industries. it's incredibly difficult to tell from the online pictures what you're going to get, so I waited to see it before I did anything to seat in the truck.
In prep, though, I did pull out the floor mat, scrubbed it with Tide and a brush, hit it with a pressure washer, and it came mostly clean. I also laid down a bunch of panels of Noico butyl/foil sound deadening on the floor, pretty much anywhere you can't find it without looking for it.
I got the seat covers on Saturday and I thought they looked great. I did have to run to Harbor Freight to grab a legit pair of hog ring pliers because the ones from the kit are garbage. Got it all covered up on Saturday and installed this morning. I'm really happy with it. The cloth is woven and has some variation in color. The vinyl seems nice, it's not really plastic-y and is pretty soft.

Don't pay for these pieces of garbage:

I also pressure washed my paver patio. Paver patios in the PNW are a terrible idea...they get covered with moss, and no matter what anyone says, it's not charming, it's disgusting.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:18 PM   #114
66C10LB

The seat cover looks great. Seems to be installed nice and taught.
66C10LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:32 PM   #115
88Stanger

nice work sir
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:39 PM   #116
jkeating1

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones View Post
...I did have to run to Harbor Freight to grab a legit pair of hog ring pliers because the ones from the kit are garbage.
Seems counterintuitive to go to Harbor Freight for a better quality tool!
Old 05-18-2021, 10:25 AM   #117
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeating1 View Post
Exactly what I was thinking but you never know how crappy some stuff can be vs. others.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:34 AM   #118
eager_adventurer

The seat covers look great.
eager_adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:05 AM   #119
caseyjones

Thanks for the compliments guys. I have to say the cloth is really nice, my work bag and my phone don't slide around on the seat anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeating1 View Post
Ha! I actually tried to find one at a more reputable hardware store but there were none in stock, and honestly the HF pliers worked really well and I got em for around $6!

Last edited by caseyjones; 05-19-2021 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:47 PM   #120
350TacoZilla

Truck looks great and I agree with Lostmy65 on the paint, it's easy as the person that did it to see the imperfections but to us it looks great man.

On the harbor freight thing I would never tell people that HF is the best or tell a pro mechanic to buy all their tools there but so far I have had really good luck with their stuff and bet most home mechanics can get by with them. When I got my own house\garage I had hand tools but had always used my dads air compressor\ engine hoist etc, had a time where I really needed a compressor but the prices for name brand were just out of my reach so HF it was. 9 years later on same compressor ($149 21G oiled) and 0 issues.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 12:55 PM   #121
Racer2172

Nice work, truck is looking great.
1968 C10 Project Quarantine http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=804800
1980 Buick Regal Dirt Stock car
Racer2172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 01:16 PM   #122
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Nice work on the truck. Its cool you kept the 6cyl!

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 11:21 AM   #123
caseyjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Nice work on the truck. Its cool you kept the 6cyl!
Thanks! The 292 is still running strong. Cleans up alright. It's leaking a little bit of oil again but it's not the mess it used to be.

It's been my primary driver for the last few weeks. We had a few really wet days last week and the intermittent wipers were a game changer. It's the little things. I also noticed a new leak coming from under the dash at the driver's side kick panel. Not sure where it's coming from, it was minor but I hate leaks so I'll have to keep an eye on it.

I also got the new arm rests installed, and it made my wife think we should repaint the interior. It needs it, but I don't want to blow the truck apart now to do it, I'm not confident in my own skills to DIY it, and I don't want to lose the truck to paint jail. We'll see.

I never showed off my other little convenience modification. I was tired of my coffee mug rolling away so I put together this little cupholder. It bolts to the bottom of the seat frame. I made the black bracket and got the stainless holders off Amazon for cheap.

The truck put in some work yesterday too...hauled a rented compactor so we could reset the sand between the pavers. Didn't think to grab a picture though.

Hope everyone's having a great weekend!

Last edited by caseyjones; 05-30-2021 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:41 AM   #124
SkinnyG

I missed the intermittent wipers - where is the install on those??
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:06 PM   #125
caseyjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
I missed the intermittent wipers - where is the install on those??
I never really detailed it out so here we go...I looked at the options on the market - the crazy expensive kit with a new motor, or the add-on box that required a bunch of twists of the wiper knob to "program" the delay, and I didn't like either one.

I decided to go with the old 555 timer delay solution, even though it requires an extra knob. I bought this little delay board:
https://www.amazon.com/12VDC-Windshi...48975422&psc=1

I de-soldered the potentiometer and bought these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the same type of potentiometer that the board had on it but it was sealed up better. It's got the on-off function built into it. It's basically a guitar volume switch.

I soldered in new leads from the board to the new potentiometer so I could remote-mount the pot in a hole on the bottom lip of the dashboard. I had to drill an extra little hole for the anti-rotation tab on the pot. I also smeared a bunch of hot glue around on the back of the switch to insulate the terminals after it was all soldered together.

I then made a little jumper that splits the low speed wire from my 2-speed switch. One end goes back to the terminal on the stock switch, and the other goes to the NO terminal on the new delay board. Ground the COM terminal, and give the board switched 12v. Don't use the schematic that comes with the instructions for the board, it won't work on our systems.

I stuffed the board in a little plastic enclosure box and wedged it up under the dash. Here's the switch knob:

The original switch works just like it did before, and the new switch works independently to turn on the wipers and sets a delay between 3sec and 30 seconds. Totally worth the $35 or whatever.

Last edited by caseyjones; 05-31-2021 at 12:37 AM.