The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2015, 11:44 PM   #1
68shortwide

bed floor swap?

How hard is it to put a bed floor in a shortbed fleetside? PO cut mine beyond repair. I searched but didn't find anything relevant. It seems like the bed stood up on end in mud or water as the bottom side where the tailgate and lights are all rusted out (covered in bondo and primer) would I be better off attempting to find a new bed altogether?
Attached Images

1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:23 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: bed floor swap?

Bed floors get like that because everything they run through gets thrown to the rear. Road sprsy, especially off the rear tires, gets shot into every crevice.

Other than a few spots welded, it is a bolt-in job...pretty simple/easy. The welds are at the base of the bedside at the rear in the tailgate area. No big deal, but that needs to be re-welded fr sure

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:15 AM   #3
68shortwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Bed floors get like that because everything they run through gets thrown to the rear. Road sprsy, especially off the rear tires, gets shot into every crevice.

Other than a few spots welded, it is a bolt-in job...pretty simple/easy. The welds are at the base of the bedside at the rear in the tailgate area. No big deal, but that needs to be re-welded fr sure
Thanks for the good news. I hope it's that easy. Havn't gotten all the way down past the false bed floor, no tellin if he decided to add some "reinforcing" welds to the bed. Again, thanks Special-K.
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
Old 06-30-2015, 12:15 PM   #4
cooperhw

If you are stuck on a wood floor they are not too hard. Time consuming for sure. On my 68 I am building I cut a nice steel bed floor out of a 73-87 square body fleetside bed and welded it in. I personally don't like the wood floor in these trucks as it makes it harder (for me) to use it. I will have a Rhino liner type product installed after I paint the bed sides.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:30 PM   #5
68shortwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
If you are stuck on a wood floor they are not too hard. Time consuming for sure. On my 68 I am building I cut a nice steel bed floor out of a 73-87 square body fleetside bed and welded it in. I personally don't like the wood floor in these trucks as it makes it harder (for me) to use it. I will have a Rhino liner type product installed after I paint the bed sides.
It's not that I'm stuck on the wood floor, it's just a false floor since he cut the steel one to sink over the frame to drop the bed. What i think I'm gonna do is get another floor and just raise the whole floor and wheel tubs up towards the bed rails. It'd look a lot cleaner imo and i won't have to worry about the wood rotting away. I do like some wood floors and I think i'll just do it on my stepside. Do you have any pics Coop?
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
Old 07-08-2015, 08:33 PM   #6
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shortwide View Post
It's not that I'm stuck on the wood floor, it's just a false floor since he cut the steel one to sink over the frame to drop the bed. What i think I'm gonna do is get another floor and just raise the whole floor and wheel tubs up towards the bed rails. It'd look a lot cleaner imo and i won't have to worry about the wood rotting away. I do like some wood floors and I think i'll just do it on my stepside. Do you have any pics Coop?
Sorry for the delay in answering your question. Yes. I have a build thread in the projects and builds called "Meet Homer (the motor home)". Putting in the metal floor is towards the end pages of the build. Painting it right now.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote