The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2021, 08:11 AM   #1
Boog
laying low

Hello Detroit. What happened to truck designs?

I am puzzled by the vehicle designs these days. Back in the 80s aerodynamics became a concern in regards to fuel mileage so they narrowed and sloped the front sheet metal. The 90s came along and they were still narrowed and rounded front designs then they replaced some metal with plastics to drop weight as well. All aimed at upping mpg. I thought they couldn't design a better , rounder aero front end than the 90s GM trucks at the time.
Then somewhere around mid to late 2000s they abandoned the sloped and narrowed front end design and flattened the front ends again(speaking of trucks here). And today just look at all 3 truck makes front ends. Rather flat nosed and tall frontal areas. Once again the boxy front end. What happened to the aerodynamic concern in the fuel mileage equation?
_
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:52 AM   #2
burnin oil

Re: Hello Detroit. What happened to truck designs?

As a guess they probably figured out that the air going over the cab and around the bed and tailgate was a bigger factor than just punching the air once. Same basic reason that you loose MPG with a flat bed. Way more turbulence behind the initial break in the air.

The one that gets me is how the motors keep getting bigger and more speeds in the transmissions to go along with bloated curb wieghts. Not to mention how high the new 4x4s sit.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:55 AM   #3
Ironhorse

Some very good observations which mimic my thoughts also. Have always wondered why the seemingly total disregard for the fuel mileage concerns of the past years. The trucks of today have the aerodynamic frontal area of a brick. And also, why did the suspension systems have to be raised for a 2 wheel drive truck to the point that one needs a step ladder to access the bed. Or at the vey least, step pockets in the rear bumper corners. A new 2 wheel drive sits higher at stock position than my stock position '71 4 wheel drive does. The constant offerings of 17, 18, 20 and 22 wheels over the years has added to the height. And don't get me started on the huge ugly squared off wheel wells with 12'' or more of space between the rubber tire surface and the lip of the wheel well. Guess I'm showing my age but I long for the days a truck was a rather simple utilitarian sensible vehicle used mostly for hauling items of various nature. New trucks are just plain butt ugly. End of my rant and my $0.02
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:03 AM   #4
burnin oil

I agree on the no new truck thing. Once ram announced no more manuals with the diesel engine, I said no more new trucks. I can't even tell you how many guys wanted a hand shaker but couldn't find one on a lot. Detroit and dealers just don't listen as far as I am concerned.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:23 AM   #5
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I think a lot of the design (unfortunately in my opinion) has to do with the European safety standards. Supposedly it is better to outright hit a person with a tall flat front end than an aero one. I sure do miss the older designs, but there are a few that are OK, just not many.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:30 AM   #6
burnin oil

Interesting take and am not dismissing this as you may be onto something. My only thought on that is I have never seen alot of American trucks over seas other than the middle east. They tend to be to large for the roads. I have seen tons of toyotas and bongo trucks.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:39 AM   #7
Axle

Poseur design I call it. Taller 2wheel drives to pretend to be 4x4's... Larger gaps around the wheels to further "enhance" that lifted mall crawler look.... My truck is taller than your truck nonsense... Then toss in all the other mandatory safety requirements on top of that and you end up with designs that are afterthoughts.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:28 AM   #8
Keith Seymore

Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:33 PM   #9
LT7A

I've noticed many of the same things. For a lot of people, I think a truck is an image vehicle. The bigger two truck manufacturers softened the front end in the 90s and then Dodge came out with its mini semi truck. Ford and Chevy dropped their tapered front ends and followed suit with their own variation on that high-impact (visually) front end. Each redesign seems to overemphasize the front end more until now it's well out of proportion with the back of the truck.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:51 PM   #10
lux

Big 4 door cabs and a tinny bed, Looks more like a sports utility vehicle than truck. Then there is the crazy prices today for a truck. Let's face it they are luxury vehicles not trucks.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:56 PM   #11
Boog
laying low

My 69 stepper looks 3/4 scale up next to my 06 GMC and even my 09 Yukon. And look at these.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2021, 05:12 PM   #12
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

This looks borderline ridiculous to me. It's like they designed the truck, then stood back & said not bad but it needs more height. Let's add another layer to the grill. Okay, now we're gettin somewhere but we gotta make the bumper taller. Almost there, we'll add one more layer to the grill, but make it fatter than the last one. Ah, that's it!

I will admit, it looks just a tiny bit better on the road than in the pic. Just barely....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:38 PM   #13
72gmguy

Wow! And here I am thinking the new Silverado is a great looking, powerful and comfortable truck. I just traded my 15 for a new 21 high country 6.2 and couldn’t be happier with it. I know we’re talking trucks here but when cars were so aerodynamic they all looked like eggs and had the same shape they were really boring. Glad they didn’t do that to trucks.

1969 Blazer 4x4 original cst
1971 Blazer partial 2wd convert
1972 Blazer 4x4 original cst
1970 Blazer 4x4 w/ 2 1/2in lift and 33in tires w/4 wheel camper
1970 4x4 suburban w/ 6in lift and 35in tires
1968 Corvette convertible
1970 Malibu convertible
1959 Brookwood wagon
1972 International Scout ii
72gmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:49 PM   #14
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
I think a lot of the design (unfortunately in my opinion) has to do with the European safety standards. Supposedly it is better to outright hit a person with a tall flat front end than an aero one. I sure do miss the older designs, but there are a few that are OK, just not many.
Pedestrian standards has been my understanding as well. It affects cars and SUV's too... no more pointed nose cars like dodge intrepids or 3rd gen firebirds. All tall and somewhat flat-ish now.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:15 PM   #15
mongocanfly
Post Whore

That truck in the middle of Keith's picture looks like a toy compared to the newer stuff...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:04 PM   #16
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
Poseur design I call it. Taller 2wheel drives to pretend to be 4x4's... Larger gaps around the wheels to further "enhance" that lifted mall crawler look.... My truck is taller than your truck nonsense... Then toss in all the other mandatory safety requirements on top of that and you end up with designs that are afterthoughts.
I am to very tired of the faux x faux look every new truck has. I am a tiny tiny man of 5'9", and on stock trucks I can barely look into the bed. Much less grab anything. Plus the 2.5/4 drop on my 18 would still had me jumping up onto the seat. Where as my K20 with a 2" level, and 34's. Was easier to get into plus a touch lower.

My new C10 stepside rcsb looks like a toy next to the new mid sizes even. It is even technically lifted due to the tires vs stock. Plus when I drive it I can see over the hood. My 11 year old son loves it more because often times he could only see the sky in the 18 due to the door height.

When I lived by Chino. There was a guy who had a 07 or so F150 crew cab 2wd with a 12 or so inch lift with 44's.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:43 PM   #17
dave6672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Some very good observations which mimic my thoughts also. Have always wondered why the seemingly total disregard for the fuel mileage concerns of the past years. The trucks of today have the aerodynamic frontal area of a brick. And also, why did the suspension systems have to be raised for a 2 wheel drive truck to the point that one needs a step ladder to access the bed. Or at the vey least, step pockets in the rear bumper corners. A new 2 wheel drive sits higher at stock position than my stock position '71 4 wheel drive does. The constant offerings of 17, 18, 20 and 22 wheels over the years has added to the height. And don't get me started on the huge ugly squared off wheel wells with 12'' or more of space between the rubber tire surface and the lip of the wheel well. Guess I'm showing my age but I long for the days a truck was a rather simple utilitarian sensible vehicle used mostly for hauling items of various nature. New trucks are just plain butt ugly. End of my rant and my $0.02
I'm with you all the way on the squared off wheel wells and the large gap between the tire and fender.

1972 K20
1972 C20 Highlander
1957 Chevy 210 Delray
1967 C10
dave6672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:14 PM   #18
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
That truck in the middle of Keith's picture looks like a toy compared to the newer stuff...
Yes it does! My co-workers trucks make mine look like a Datsun.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:00 PM   #19
SkidmoreGarage

I am not a fan of the new truck designs, but I thought I'd share some data points.

Most new cars sold are AWD or 4x4 (51% in 2020), so the body style is geared toward that market.

The trucks are getting tested in the wind tunnel and mpgs are better than they have ever been. The new Tahoe (I'm sure the sierra as well) gets 28mpg. I think they found out like a lot of companies, that what looks aero, isn't always.

Smaller and sleeker trucks are available, but are ignored. The Colorado and ranger match the proportions/size of the classic trucks pretty well and have a sleeker appearance. Somehow people have equated smaller trucks with diminished capability.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:50 PM   #20
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidmoreGarage View Post
what looks aero, isn't always.
Case in point, C2 Corvettes (1963-1967) of which I have owned two and loved them. They look slick but I believe their aerodynamics are awful.

Quote:
Somehow people have equated smaller trucks with diminished capability.
Yes, and I am guilty. Until they have full-floating axles, eight-lug wheels, and can carry a full cord of green hardwood, I will still think of them in the same way. In truth, the smaller trucks will do almost everything I ask of them. But they do have limitations, and we won't even talk about folks who tow large travel trailers.....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 07-25-2021, 04:51 PM   #21
LS short box

I have a 20 Silverado with a 6.2. I like it a lot. If you look at the new trucks they do sit higher but when you look at the front notice how low the front "spoiler" is to the ground to air from going under the the truck.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:06 PM   #22
Boog
laying low

Look at post #11

Old 07-25-2021, 05:24 PM   #23
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
If you look at the new trucks they do sit higher but when you look at the front notice how low the front "spoiler" is to the ground to air from going under the the truck.
For some reason I was at a dealership a few years back, and a salesman was talking about trucks. I go out in the woods sometimes and I pointed out how low the front air dam was. His reply was you could always get a lift kit. Yeah right, buy a new 4x4 and lift it even higher just so you can go off-pavement. No thanks.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 07-25-2021, 05:47 PM   #24
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

There is the Cybertruck choice
Attached Images

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:51 PM   #25
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
There is the Cybertruck choice
Anybody have a rock?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote