The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2016, 05:31 PM   #1
53 randy

Question radio presets

I have a retrosound ZUMA radio in my 53 3100 and i am putting in a battery disconnect, how can I keep my presets in the radio. I will have it disconnected for some time. Some one suggested that a buy a computer saver from FLAPS but they are only go for about a day maybe two. I thought I could put a fused by pass from the battery to ground. The radio as two power wires one consent ON and one key ON. With the key OFF it only draws 3.5 Mill amps and I think that's for the presets. What size fuse do I need and will it work? I am thinking 2.5 or 5 amp. Randy
53 randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:30 PM   #2
68is4me

Re: radio presets

I am not no electrical expert, but why are you putting in battery disconnect? I think that 3.5 millamp is to much draw for just a radio memory. Are you sure you don't have a draw somewhere else.

Other wise I was thinking you could run a power wire to the live side of the disconnect just to the radio, but that would be silly if you are trying to keep the battery from going dead.
06 gmc duramax
68is4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
_Ogre

presets??? who uses radio anymore????
though i do hate resetting the clock everytime

if you have the disconnect to keep the battery from going dead for long term storage, any bypass will kill the battery over time
if the disconnect is for theft/security reasons... read on

with the disconnect on the ground cable a fused ground bypass will work, but you will get tired of changing fuses when you turn the key, forgetting to turn on the disconnect

install the disconnect in the positive cable and run a fused bypass to constant on wire to the battery

my 58 truk has an alarm system on it, i use no disconnect but have to put a battery tender on if i don't drive the truck every 7 days

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #4
53 randy

No, I am putting the disconnect in because it a pain the take the terminal off the battery when I work behind the dash. I use a battery tender to keep the battery up and when I disconnect it I also turn off the tender. I am going to put the bypass in the neg. side with a 5 amp fuse. thanks _ogre and 68is4me Randy
53 randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:40 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: radio presets

This is what I would use. It's simple and cheap. For short term use it would be perfect.

Amazon.com: 12V Automotive Settings Keeper w/9V... Amazon.com: 12V Automotive Settings Keeper w/9V...

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote